Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:52 AM

758 posts, read 2,240,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
So like a good PR boy, I always understood that I am foremost Spanish, and likely have Taino and African blood in me, because that is what we are told PRs major influences were. Of course there were a variety of other settlers, including varying Europeans, Asians, Jews, etc, but the Spanish/Taino/African mix is the most abundant (for lack of a better word). That being said, I recently took a dna test to get some insight into my lineage, and discovered that I am basically 100% Arab (a mix of different Arab populations), and that the region of the world that I am most similar to, genetically, is not Latin America (or any Latin American country) or Europe, it is Mesopotamia (Iran/Iraq areas). In fact, my closest genetic relatives are the Kurds in Northern Iraq. So my questions are these: Both my parents are from PR, as are my grandparents, however I have virtually NO Spanish/European, Taino, or African influence of any substance, and am basically 100% of Arab descent. How is this possible? Is this common? How large was/is the middle eastern influence in Puerto Rico historically? Could PR be surpressing the role of middle eastern migration for some reason or maybe just doesn't know how large a role it played?

Those tests are crazy. I took one last year and I was majority Armenian (not Arab but still middle eastern)... didn't make sense since my parents are from Mexico and Cuba. (I didn't even know where Armenia was). They test the various 'halogroups' in your DNA and then see how many there are compared to others. (If anyone here is more well-versed in genetics, you can restate what I said a lot better) I took another test to verify it.

Are you calling yourself an Arab now? LOL...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 11:19 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,827,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy
So like a good PR boy, I always understood that I am foremost Spanish, and likely have Taino and African blood in me, because that is what we are told PRs major influences were.

of course your told that lmao, lmao..... i never accept never will accept every puerto rican being of african descent its B.S.

Puerto rico has had european migration which was allowed by spain with nations in good standing with it, for example alot of irish came as well in the result of the potato famine.

i dont know why puerto ricans emphasis only the taino spanish and african when its much more than that.....think if america did that...people lose their identity in countries like PR because of the emphasis of the 3 groups people talk about

Irish immigration to Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

german
German immigration to Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

corscian
Corsican immigration to Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

french
French immigration to Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

chinese
Chinese immigration to Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

arabs-alot of arabs of latin american ethnicity
Arab diaspora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-01-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Those tests are crazy. I took one last year and I was majority Armenian (not Arab but still middle eastern)... didn't make sense since my parents are from Mexico and Cuba. (I didn't even know where Armenia was). They test the various 'halogroups' in your DNA and then see how many there are compared to others. (If anyone here is more well-versed in genetics, you can restate what I said a lot better) I took another test to verify it.

Are you calling yourself an Arab now? LOL...
why shouldnt he? he still puerto rican but an arab one

Old 12-01-2009, 11:36 AM

67 posts, read 18,746 times
I am Puerto Rican my father is Arab and my mother is German so what am I a mixed Mutt?

Old 12-01-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamacusa View Post
I am Puerto Rican my father is Arab and my mother is German so what am I a mixed Mutt?
arab doesnt equal national origin like german does
arab can be compared to something likes saxons, celtics,anglos, caucasians, etc

Ethnic groups in Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

most puerto ricans do not accept anyone as being puerto rican whoo are not the main three lmao

Old 12-01-2009, 12:13 PM

67 posts, read 18,746 times
Ugh, Then I am really a Mutt

Old 12-01-2009, 12:18 PM

758 posts, read 2,240,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
arab doesnt equal national origin like german does
arab can be compared to something likes saxons, celtics,anglos, caucasians, etc

Ethnic groups in Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

most puerto ricans do not accept anyone as being puerto rican who are not the main three lmao
Well... if you want to get REAL technical, many Spaniards have moorish and arab traces in their DNA.... can't shake off 800 yrs of muslim occupation. lol.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:57 PM

229 posts, read 778,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamacusa View Post

For the most part we all are mutts. Eventually even the the whole US will be an even shade of brown, diluting the black down and the white up.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:28 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,337,098 times
WOW!!! That's is really different but cool, I would of never thought!!! My best friend is from Puerto Rico and he's Chinese/Black/Native/White...odd mix.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:29 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,337,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenoQueHacemohAhora View Post
For the most part we all are mutts. Eventually even the the whole US will be an even shade of brown, diluting the black down and the white up.
Wait what?
What do you mean diluting the black down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories