Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:58 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,699,983 times

Advertisements

I would like to see PR independent so you people could see what I am talking about.... I don't really care much of PR because I live in the states but.... Independent PR=Downfall of PR ,that's the way I see it.

By the looks of it I do not think PR will ever be independent. Obama is going to open the Naval base again in Vieques.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 01:29 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Crispy I will agree with you on this: If the PR are not the ones wanting Independence, whether it be due to an ingrained fear, or a real cultural part of PR since its birth (always dependent on the mother country for everything..first Spain, now US), the fact remains it will never be independent so long as the people are not the ones driving the change. As a result, the country remains paralyzed in the "status quo" nonchoice, and the decades old political infighting keeps the island from moving forward. Every 4 years, a new political group comes into power..the statehood group pushes forward their agenda, then 4 years later the "status quo" reverses those changes and implements their own,...and PR remains essentially stagnant...never truly making ANY changes. How long will this go on? I would rather PR choose statehood than just remain "status quo". Even though I believe Independence is the only true answer, the "status quo" option is what keeps PR from doing ANYTHING. I say let's make a real choice and move forward, for better or worse.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:20 PM

177 posts, read 958,961 times
After spending some time in PR, it is clear to me that only choices to consider are (1) stay as is, and (2) become a state. Both have clear advantages and disadvantages. Independence would cause horrible consequences that would have lasting effects on the quality of life in PR. Somehow I don't see how independence would solve the 20% percent unemployment and population's dependency on social programs (this includes inflated government as a social program). Is independence an unachievable goal? As James Bond said, "never say never". But in the age when borders are becoming less significant due to the globalization, and the fact that US is still a powerful player on the world scene, making nationalistic movements seems in odds with current global trends.

As far as US opening up to Cuba and its impact on PR. The main implication that I see is that of an influx of boxing talent from Cuba to US, which may present significant competition with Puerto Rico's boxing.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:02 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,699,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
After spending some time in PR, it is clear to me that only choices to consider are (1) stay as is, and (2) become a state. Both have clear advantages and disadvantages. Independence would cause horrible consequences that would have lasting effects on the quality of life in PR. Somehow I don't see how independence would solve the 20% percent unemployment and population's dependency on social programs (this includes inflated government as a social program). Is independence an unachievable goal? As James Bond said, "never say never". But in the age when borders are becoming less significant due to the globalization, and the fact that US is still a powerful player on the world scene, making nationalistic movements seems in odds with current global trends.

As far as US opening up to Cuba and its impact on PR. The main implication that I see is that of an influx of boxing talent from Cuba to US, which may present significant competition with Puerto Rico's boxing.
I agree

Old 04-22-2009, 10:42 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
would PR becoming a state effectively nullify the holier-than-thou cockiness of the "proud to be rican" types?

Personally, I say let em be on their own, though it would be nice to tell the next one i hear ranting, "shut up.. you're just another american now."
Spoken like an Oklahoman. Does being a US citizen prevent Texans from "roud to be Texan?" how about new yorkers? Or Californians? I think not.

at any rate, I think for the short term PR will be best served by the status quo (in terms of national status, not political). PR needs to stop worrying abotu state hood and independence. Independence is fraught with risks and might mae them subject to some other nations meddling (nearby Venezuela?). Statehood would have been great 50 years ago but with the mainland's irresponsible spending it's starting to look like a giant version of PR and PR woudl likely get saddled with the higher taxes without the benefits of the last 50 years when it was spent. For the time being, PR should concentrate on getting its own house in order. the pensions, the government spending, the taxes. Basic infrastructure improvements that will eb good for present and future regardless of status. For example, I love San Juan but the traffic is a nightmare. If I'm a yanqui (and I am), I want to take a subway from the airport to old san juan. a train from san juan to ponce (or at least an intercity bus). I recently saw that Chile opened an office in San Juan to promote trade. why not a direct flight tobooming Santiago to diversify trade and tourism? You could probably work a deal with one of the American airlines, such as US Air, for connecting passengers since AA is the only airlines outside LAN Chile in NY that flies to Santiago. PR is a nice place to break up the trip. why no direct flights to LA? anyways, you get the picture, making PR a better place to live, work, and visit wil beenfit the island under any circumstances. It's my opinion that Independence would work best as part of a greater carribean confederation (or economic league like ASEAN) but DR is still somewhat of a basket case (to say nothing of Haiti) and Cuba is still too closed. that brings me to Cuba. Just because it gets easier to visit Cuba doesn't mean it's going to open up to outside business interest or entertain ex-cuban property claims.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 PM

32 posts, read 106,136 times
^^ There are a daily non-stop flight San Juan - Los Ángeles, and San Juan - Caracas with American Airlines. Also a flight San Juan - Madrid with Iberia Airlines. But I know that it is so few destinations. We need more flights and destinations!!

Old 04-22-2009, 01:07 PM

10 posts, read 24,013 times
listin why do many rican disagree becaues of all the things that has happean with the USA/Pr relationship. and of coures the foolish rican on the mainland not all but many, keep rican in prehistoric times, how better then puertorican would know what best for puertorican then puertoricans wow that simple math!!!, rican are just so busy with there lives to help there own, puertorico does not just to be independent from the USA it need to be independent from rican in the USA, many rican as I have studied and lived on the island for a few years are in a brianless state! I was born in the USA but I lived on the island for a few years,and I was a newjerseyrican that changed when I came back, see I would only agree if puertorico became a spainsh state and even then I would have to think about it, see puertorican can be some of the most unloyal people on the planet towards la patria, it has much bit as myself and my kid's will be tought to think for themself to help there own to think big and understand the state of there people, many pareant did not teach there kid's that or spainsh or they never even been to the island! ask any country in the world if they would trade there country to become a state of the USA. many will tell you to go to hell, what puertorican need see to think like puertorican and learn to use there own mindes to help solove it's people solutions have more nationalizm,wow rican are willing to give up there culture and language if it becomes a state that is if all the senators agree which I think they will not and make fools of rican when there are regected for statehood. the realest rican in PR are the independence people who are the reaLEST PEOPLE ON THE ISLAND,CONFUESSION IS NOT OF GOD WE DON'T KNOW FEAR!!! etc..and you can disagree with me I expect it!! many rican have weak minds as the USA hand something to do with that but we can not belame them for everthing as it is up to us to do it for ourselfs !!!,with me it is a dawn of a new era.. not all rican but many just love to vacation and visit family but if you ask them what would they do to help puertorico son uno *******s saying ohoo I live in the USA and have my own life then don't come PR does not need you rican have lose there historical prepective as many pareants have forgotten what the father came here for, it was always the plan to go back and help the island but rican became selfish and forgot who they are, we my be latinos all but boricuaS ARE the origannly hispanics in the northeast, as long as we have been in newyork we should own have of it,we need to go back 60 yrs ago when we had equity busniess, etc..it is a dawn of a new era not the same old stuff, I guess Iam turning back the hand of time when rican were real as hell Iam one of those..how can you even say that people have to be convince about independence, and then you say if it good it's more then good it would be great, I would rather die on myfeet then live on my kness !! the rest of the world would agree

Old 04-22-2009, 01:10 PM

Sorry papa we rican have beatean many cubain in the passed in boxing and cuba sport is baseball, cuba would send good fighters but we will always be there aginst who ever!!

Old 04-22-2009, 01:14 PM

i PERSONALTY iAM NOT A PART OF ANY POLITICAL PARTY i MY HEAR AND UNDERSTAND MORE WITH IDPENDENCE BUT iAM NOT APART OF THAT PARTY FOR SOLUTIONS FOR THE ISLAND THAT IS WHAT i BELONG TO

Old 04-22-2009, 01:37 PM

CORRECT, BUT IT IS THE PEOPLE THAT MUST RISE UP TO TELL THE usa NO WE WILL NOT DEAL WITH THIS IT'S ENOUGH, NO LONGER WILL WE LIVE IN PREHISTORIC TIMES, IT IS THE PEOPLE MI PANA THAT MUST DECIDED THIS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories