Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:11 PM

10 posts, read 24,012 times

Advertisements

I have to laugh with all respect YOU HAVE MUCH TO LEARN AS i WOULD RAther die on my feet then live on my kness do you even understand that??? what could you know about PR ! wow still people call it a territoress! slavery is over!!!!boricua don't belong to anyone but itself, wow people still use that term wow I am glad Iam in this blog many need the help??? see what puertorican need to do is think like ricans and not be seprated bye political partys. rican need more nationalizm, then will puertoricans reach a level of suffitication that it has never reached..you have no problem with the USA becaues you have not read enough, see puertorico has a "pandoras box" on it only the real people open it!! I was one of them..if you want to learn more then I will be willing to tell you more but I expect you to disagree..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 06:00 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
I like to see PR become independent one day. =_= I always saw it as its own country with its own people. I was kind of horrified to learn back in primary school days to see that it had a status quo.

I pretty much agree with what SobroGuy says.
BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR.....!!!!!!! Puerto Rico has more people that it has resources ........natural or otherwise.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:07 PM

177 posts, read 958,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricanroyalty View Post
CORRECT, BUT IT IS THE PEOPLE THAT MUST RISE UP TO TELL THE usa NO WE WILL NOT DEAL WITH THIS IT'S ENOUGH, NO LONGER WILL WE LIVE IN PREHISTORIC TIMES, IT IS THE PEOPLE MI PANA THAT MUST DECIDED THIS.
What you have to plan for is the morning after people wake after the successful uprising. On that day, please tell me what is the plan to fiance this Island? What is the plan to keep its shores from being over run by illegal immigrants and drug traffickers? Aspirations are important, but to be successful it is important to keep reality in the vision. This is exactly the reason for current political status. People who want Independence realize monetary consequences that will follow.

Regarding prehistoric times. Wake up! I don't see the Island as a Natzi Germany where US Military is pushing you into some dark ages. Unfortunately, the worst enemy of Puerto Rico is Puerto Ricans themselves.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:46 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Ineedanswers....the answers you seek are right under your nose. If you would like to know what plans there are "after people wake"...just read it yourself: What you ought to know about independence (http://www.independencia.net/ingles/aboutind.html - broken link) The only answer for PR is independence and it is in fact easily achievable..it is fear and ignorance that prevents it from happening and being successful..nothing more. Educate yourself. Enjoy!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:40 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
I am sick of my tax money going to help support P.R. What has anyone in P.R. ever done to help me. P.R. is a U.S.A. territory whether you like it or not. I say cut P.R. off at the teat by forcing a vote for either full statehood or total independence. I also support normalizing relations with Cuba. That is my opinion and if anyone disagrees with it, tough, I don't really give a flying pigs patootie. I also don't think the U.S.A. should keep territories at all.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:18 PM

159 posts, read 238,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I am sick of my tax money going to help support P.R. What has anyone in P.R. ever done to help me. P.R. is a U.S.A. territory whether you like it or not. I say cut P.R. off at the teat by forcing a vote for either full statehood or total independence. I also support normalizing relations with Cuba. That is my opinion and if anyone disagrees with it, tough, I don't really give a flying pigs patootie. I also don't think the U.S.A. should keep territories at all.
If I'm not mistaken when it comes to per capita they have the highest per capita when it comes to serving in the US military. They make up a pretty decent portion of the US military.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:04 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricanroyalty View Post
I have to laugh with all respect YOU HAVE MUCH TO LEARN AS i WOULD RAther die on my feet then live on my kness do you even understand that??? what could you know about PR ! wow still people call it a territoress! slavery is over!!!!boricua don't belong to anyone but itself, wow people still use that term wow I am glad Iam in this blog many need the help??? see what puertorican need to do is think like ricans and not be seprated bye political partys. rican need more nationalizm, then will puertoricans reach a level of suffitication that it has never reached..you have no problem with the USA becaues you have not read enough, see puertorico has a "pandoras box" on it only the real people open it!! I was one of them..if you want to learn more then I will be willing to tell you more but I expect you to disagree..

Bro, the first thing you really need to do is to brush up on your grammar and spelling. Nobody listens to a person who has little dominance of the language he is trying to communicate through. If you're better able to make yourself understood in Spanish then please, write your thoughts in Spanish!

If you can't communicate effectively in either language then remember..."Silence is golden!"

Plus, why are you denying the fact that Puerto Rico is a territory of the United States? This has been the case since 1898. It is what it is, and truthfully, that is not about to change anytime soon. Among other perks, Boricuas like the fact that they don't need "green cards" to travel to and from the island.

So please, it would behoove you to instruct yourself before posting baseless comments. Makes you look really uninformed!

Old 04-30-2009, 10:46 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noliving View Post
If I'm not mistaken when it comes to per capita they have the highest per capita when it comes to serving in the US military. They make up a pretty decent portion of the US military.
I fully commend the good folks of P.R. for helping out with our American interests and serving in the U.S. military and as a citizen of a state in the U.S.A. I think P.R. would be welcomed as the newest state. I just think the current status kind of sucks. We should not have territories, maybe Obama will rename our territories "districts"

Old 05-01-2009, 12:28 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
who said it helps PR?

Old 05-03-2009, 12:27 PM

177 posts, read 958,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Ineedanswers....the answers you seek are right under your nose. If you would like to know what plans there are "after people wake"...just read it yourself: What you ought to know about independence (http://www.independencia.net/ingles/aboutind.html - broken link) The only answer for PR is independence and it is in fact easily achievable..it is fear and ignorance that prevents it from happening and being successful..nothing more. Educate yourself. Enjoy!
I don't want to be insulting to anyone, but that web page made me laugh for days. Here is a bit on a subject of economy:

• The power to create economic incentive for our industry, commerce and agriculture sector, thus increasing our productivity and reduce our trade deficit.
What agriculture? What commerce? Soon as PR becomes a state, most of the US based business will close down their factories, so bye bye jobs. All agricultural products in the supermarkets are imported. Yet with this climate most of citrus could be locally grown.
  • The power to regulate immigration.
Good luck trying to regulate immigration once US army leaves PR. Don't forget that to the already strained budget, now you have to allocate for army spending, which in some cases can be as much as 1/4 of all national income. Especially in a place that is prone to drug trafficking.

• The power to legislate in order to derogate the U.S. Coastal Shipping Law’s constrains over Puerto Rico in order to approve our own laws.
That can be done sure, and that could be one of the main revenue incomes for post independence PR.
  • The power to sign international treaties so as to attract investment from Japan, the United States and members of the European Union by using the mecanism of tax exemptions and fiscal reciprocity that could not be achieved under our current colonial relationship with the United States, nor as a state of the United States of America.
Welcome to global economy. Most markets are tanking right now, so good luck exporting locally produced goods that can be produced at a fraction of a price in Asia.
  • The power to expand our export markets and to purchase from the least expensive markets.
OMG. I can't believe that this point is made by a political party. Does anyone from PIP knows about existence of Wallmart?

What really made me burst in laughter was the comparison table at the bottom of this page:

Puerto Rico: We Can Stand On Our Own Feet (http://www.independencia.net/ingles/ai_economy.html - broken link)

Argentina: Would you like to live in Argentina with its notoriously swaying markets?

Cyprus, South Korea: Have you been to these places? These are highly motivated workforces with existing global economical connections. For example, Cyprus is clean and inviting. Puerto Rico is dirty and scares off turists with window-bars in each house.

Ireland: Their economy is very dependent on the English/EU markets. Their temporary boom was temporary and now they are bankrupt!

Venezuela: If PR had that much oil, then I would say no problem, go independent. However, with that much oil, PR would be a state already.

I would like to reiterate my previous point that you missed. I am all for being independent, but the financial realities are staggering and have consequences of public unrest if not solved. Moreover, since US does not keep PR under a gunpoint, then my suggestion to each pro-independence party in PR is to:

1) get corruption under control
2) clean up streets, establish building codes that make PR an inviting place for turists
3) get tax situation under control
4) diversify industry
5) establish pioneering economical direction (bioengineering, echo-energy sources -- including hydrogen propulsion, whatever.)
6) rebuild infrastructure such as electric, highway, and water systems
7) make the island weather resistant -- technologies that could be exported to other island nations
8) make PR as independent fiscally from USA while being under USA

Once PR is financially independent, then and only then you can talk about going independent. There should be a clear plan with deadlines and milestones. Once you have it and start progression, then why now. Until then, talk is cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories