Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 12:05 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Merchants in Old San Juan are clamoring for increased police security in the wake of a shooting that left a young woman dead along bustling San Sebastián Street last week. Some businesses hung black ribbons from their doorways in honor of Patricia Hernández Irizarry, who died after being struck by an apparent stray bullet. A 15-year-old La Perla resident has been arrested in connection with her slaying and police said he was apparently aiming at another person when the fatal shot was fired from astride a passing motorcycle.
“Put the surveillance cameras up again, not just during the San Sebastián Street Festival,” said Mercedes Rivera, owner of Rivera Hermanos Cash & Carry on San Sebastián Street.
“More than being merchants, most of us are parents. That is why we are in solidarity with the parents of this young woman,” Rivera said.
Luis López, manager of the nearby Rumba bar, called for state and municipal police to hike their presence in the Old City.
“After 2 a.m., there are no police here,” said López. “Those are peak hours of assaults and risk for everyone who lives here.”
Hernández Irizarry was shot at around 11 p.m. while walking with her boyfriend.
López said that after her slaying, one of Rumba’s employees tendered her resignation.
“Her mother told her: ‘I don’t want you working there,’” he said.
San Juan Municipal Police Commissioner Hilton Cordero said a plan has been under consideration for months to install surveillance cameras to cover all of Old San Juan.
“We have an initiative to install security cameras. There have been various studies and proposals. This is a project we are contemplating for the near future,” Cordero said.
The municipal police chief downplayed complaints by merchants that preventive patrols at night and early morning were lacking.
“I consider our patrols sufficient. The city is big and we don’t just have to attend the commercial zone but the residential zone as well, which is a target for crime. We don’t have the officers to post at all hours,” Cordero said.
Julio Figueroa, of the Ferretería Rodríguez hardware store, said police presence should be beefed up.
“They should put more officers here because after 6 p.m. patrol cars pass just once every four hours,” he said.
CaribbeanBusinessPR.com

not long ago there was a move to assign property rights in LaPerla. Seems like improving La Perla is probably the long term solution here. thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 04:46 PM

177 posts, read 958,773 times
Agree with you 100%. Installing cameras or putting more police on the streets is only a short term solution. Neither will be able to stop or prevent a stray built from killing an innocent person, so what is the point.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:24 PM

195 posts, read 668,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
Agree with you 100%. Installing cameras or putting more police on the streets is only a short term solution. Neither will be able to stop or prevent a stray built from killing an innocent person, so what is the point.
I hear you on that. However, I also know that I pesonally, would be much less likely to be firing a gun in public if I knew I was on camera. Education and parenting is the ultimate answer to all of these issues. Puerto Rico could start giving death sentences to those who are caught with drugs or guns. I believe they would see their gang/drug problems disappear

Old 07-02-2009, 09:28 PM

177 posts, read 958,773 times
You are on to something. And I have just the answer for the humane way of killing the guilty of gun and drag crimes -- namely by making them watch the repetitive programming of CNN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories