U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:04 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,033,146 times

Advertisements

We just found another snake in the house, the third since we moved here. We live next to vacant land, so I thought we might have a problem with mice but did not expect snakes. When we first moved to Puerto Rico, our realtor told us there were no snakes on the island. Obviously, he lied. Last September we had two snakes which everyone we knew said was unheard of and probably due to the unusually heavy rainfall. Since we haven’t had much rain lately, there goes that excuse.

Before anyone posts me – yes, I know they probably were not poisonous. I don’t care. I HATE SNAKES!!!!

Last edited by Sandhillian; 04-17-2009 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: had formatting codes included
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 06:58 AM

32 posts, read 96,967 times
In my house I have never seen a snake. They art more common on forest areas, but are little.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:50 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,652,504 times
Here on St Thomas I've seen a LOT more snakes than usual this year and have rescued literally dozens which my cats have brought in. Even though you hate snakes, treat them kindly! They're absolutely harmless!

Old 04-18-2009, 02:47 PM

177 posts, read 883,138 times
Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the snake and post it here? Maybe you have a snake nest under or near the house. Check around for holes, etc. If you find out exactly what snake it is, it may help you find signs for locating their nest.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:11 PM

2,879 posts, read 3,417,327 times
Hey, the reason you don't have problems with mice is because you have snakes!!! Ever gave that a thought? I would not kill the snakes. They serve a purpose. If at all possible, just sweep them out of the house.

When I lived on the island as a child with my parents, our house was up against the side of a hill. There was nothing but dense, lush vegetation behind our house. We'd get snakes inside and around the house every now and then. Also, an occassional bat would fly into the house once in a while. Good thing my dad played baseball. Whenever a bat would fly in, it would be like nighttime batting practice for the old man! Great memories!

Old 04-18-2009, 08:23 PM

4,476 posts, read 8,631,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Hey, the reason you don't have problems with mice is because you have snakes!!! Ever gave that a thought? I would not kill the snakes. They serve a purpose. If at all possible, just sweep them out of the house.

When I lived on the island as a child with my parents, our house was up against the side of a hill. There was nothing but dense, lush vegetation behind our house. We'd get snakes inside and around the house every now and then. Also, an occassional bat would fly into the house once in a while. Good thing my dad played baseball. Whenever a bat would fly in, it would be like nighttime batting practice for the old man! Great memories!
I prefer mice or rats than snakes lol. Gotta love those NY rats lol.=) I never have seen snakes, only in pet stores lol.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:44 PM

24,671 posts, read 60,652,504 times
Quote:

Bats eat mosquitoes. You might want to rethink that one now that you're grown up. Bats carrying rabies are far less probable than mosquitoes carrying dengue in the Caribbean. The little bitty island snakes are nowhere big enough to eat mice unless those in PR are WAY bigger than those on my island.

In response to InNeedofAnswers' query, the majority of snakes in the Caribbean are simple grass snakes. They bear no fangs and no venom and live a docile life but are prey to such as mongooses and swooping hawks. The local boa is rarely seen and isn't in any way, shape or form, akin to a boa constrictor. It's a very protected species.

I think that one of the reasons the grass snakes have been more prolific on St Thomas of late is that the local mongoose population (one of their biggest predators) took a bit of a nosedive in the last few years because of a virus which substantially reduced the mongoose population. Long after we are dead and gone, some animals will continue on.

I would be very leery about indiscriminately trashing every little creature which crosses your path and with which you're unfamiliar but gives you the heebie-jeebies because that bug may well be protecting you. Cheers!

Last edited by STT Resident; 04-18-2009 at 09:43 PM..

Old 04-19-2009, 05:15 AM

657 posts, read 1,448,447 times
Nobody posted about bats carrying rabies.. It was merely mentioned offhand - but great implication.

OP, if you don't like snakes, your best bet is to move to an urban area.. if you don't like wildlife, don't live where the wildlife does.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:50 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,033,146 times
The first two snakes were little but the last one was a normal size, similar to a bull or garter snake. I did not kill any of them, although the person who was doing some repairs on our house killed the second one. Interestingly, I grew up in a rural area where there were plenty of rattle snakes (among other types) but we never had one come into the house. Now I live in Ponce, a city with a fairly large population, although as I mentioned we do have vacant land next to our house. I guess it is the price I pay for choosing to live on the fringe of a city and trusting our realtor.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:19 AM

758 posts, read 2,003,728 times
Quote:
If at all possible, just sweep them out of the house.

I kind of agree with chacho. Just sweep them out. they're not hostile and not poisonous. They're not a huge problem on the island. All of them are imported...there's no native species of snakes on the island. *****hole people buy snakes and after they realize they can't take care of them, they dump them.

Years ago i found a ball python (not native to PR) in some bushes. It was CLEARLY used to interacting with humans because I was able to pick it up and it didn't even snap at me or ball up as i reached for it.

Snakes are amazing creatures... sorry you hate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories