Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 PM

164 posts, read 770,223 times

Advertisements

What areas would be good to look at if working at the airport (GUM)? We are a family with young kids, already homeschool.

Do most families live in houses or condos there? Pros and cons?

Thanks!

PS -- off my own topic, but I read that bullying is tolerated in the schools and yet Guam is supposed to be family oriented. I'm a little confused on how CHILD friendly it is? Would it be hard or easy to find people to be good loving additions to our children's lives? Where we live now in CONUS everyone is soooo busy working/commuting/activities that no one seems to have time for their kids let alone ours -- our kids are asleep before the neighbors sit down for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 11:08 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,479,664 times
Sent you a personal direct message. Cheers!

Old 03-02-2009, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 18,853 times
Hello KatrynS,

I could not help but read your post about bullying in schools on Guam. When I was on Guam with my father who was in the military, we went to local public schools. I was in 9th and 10th during this time. I have to be honest, my experience was that of survival from the very first day of school.

I am a white male and the non-friendly word I heard often was "Howlie" (not sure of the spelling). The Guamanians dominated the school and there was plenty of racial tension. My experience was the Guamanian youth called the shots and all other races yielded, except for maybe the Blacks (I think the locals respected them because they stuck together). We actually had an unofficial day in school called "Howlie Day" and the Guamanians would go around and jump on defenseless white boys.

Well, that is a brief response to my personal experience. I am sure there are plenty of caring Guamanians both young and old, and I do not mean anything derogatory towards them. Likewise, in the U.S. there are inner city schools with the same sort of tensions and issues. Then on top of all of this, kids are cruel and the school environment cannot be watched and controlled 100%.

Good luck

Old 03-03-2009, 09:19 AM

164 posts, read 770,223 times
Default rrdo

Thanks for you response and honesty! We homeschool our kids already ('cuz we're cocky enough to think we can do a better job, ). But even so, I worry about what happens outside of school if the kids are being subjected to that kind of abuse in the school itself, kwim? Especially if the culture says it's ok.

But that also leaves us more isolated, and we're looking for a place we can find more laid back, family-centered folks like ourselves. If they are into SCUBA, that would be definite plus.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:06 PM

3 posts, read 18,853 times
Scuba is fine as a recreational activity and there is a lot of reef around the island. However, this activity alone is not "living" and fitting into a culture. Admittedly, I am bias because of my experiences. I would like to go back and visit, but sticking to the tourist areas is not reality.

There is an old saying: "When in Rome do as the Romans do." This is all fine and dandy, but one thing you will never be is a "Roman" no matter how much you try to act like one. Same goes on Guam. If you are from any other race than Guamanian, you are not Guamanian. I have to share in school the Guamanians disliked the Philippinos more than they did the Howlies.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:38 PM

5,465 posts, read 12,200,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrdo View Post
Hello KatrynS,

I could not help but read your post about bullying in schools on Guam. When I was on Guam with my father who was in the military, we went to local public schools. I was in 9th and 10th during this time. I have to be honest, my experience was that of survival from the very first day of school.

I am a white male and the non-friendly word I heard often was "Howlie" (not sure of the spelling). The Guamanians dominated the school and there was plenty of racial tension. My experience was the Guamanian youth called the shots and all other races yielded, except for maybe the Blacks (I think the locals respected them because they stuck together). We actually had an unofficial day in school called "Howlie Day" and the Guamanians would go around and jump on defenseless white boys.

Well, that is a brief response to my personal experience. I am sure there are plenty of caring Guamanians both young and old, and I do not mean anything derogatory towards them. Likewise, in the U.S. there are inner city schools with the same sort of tensions and issues. Then on top of all of this, kids are cruel and the school environment cannot be watched and controlled 100%.

Good luck
Same thing in Hawaii, sorry to say. If you're on holiday there, that's one thing. But if you live there, as I did, and you're white, be prepared for bullying by kids in school and even grownups shunning howlies. Couldn't wait to move away from that place.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,830 times
HI, I was wondering if you recieved any info regarding housing? We are going to be moving there in about 6 months and I suppose we will need a place to live, lol.
Also, I was wondering what program you use for homeschooling? I have a 3 year old that I will need to homeschool, as I have read about the public school system be horrible. Actually I looked up some of the school reports cards and they are sooooo bad.
Thanks in advance for any info!

Old 03-13-2009, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 27,255 times
I noticed that the initial post mentioned that children will be home schooled.

"Do most families live in houses or condos there? Pros and cons?"

I am also interested of the pro's and con's other then the public school system. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:15 AM

1 posts, read 5,705 times
A good place to live would depend on your idea of "good". What are you looking for in a home? A house, condo, townhouse? Do you want to live near the airport? Do you want to live near the beaches? Do you prefer to live amongst the locals? Do you mind driving more than 20-30 minutes to get to work? Do you want a view of the ocean or mountains? If you can be more specific what you're looking for then you'll get more suggestions.

Tumon is the main tourist locale with lots of hotels, restaurants and night life. You'll see a lot of tourists there from Asia and the local Asians that work in the tourism business. Some locals live there too. There are many condos for rent, and some houses too. The rent tends to be higher in Tumon. Perhaps not a good place if you have small children in your family but fantastic if you're a young couple or single. Tamuning and Hagatna are more the central commercial areas with lots of shops, restaurants and movie theaters. Rents for houses and condos tend to be higher there too.

As for schools, the public schools are definitely no good right now. If you can afford private education, then by all means send your child to a private school. There are several very good ones - many are catholic schools, some are Christian. St. Anthony's Catholic school, Harvest Christian, St. John's Episcopalian School are some good schools off the top of my head.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:48 AM

814 posts, read 2,301,601 times
racism and bullying in school is common anywhere. some areas worse than others. i think it's a major problem that it's accepted even when it can be mitigated as no one rarely says anything as it's basically on the line of hostile and criminal behavior that is starting early in development years.

that is wrong and people need to wake up and realize it's wrong to mistreat people. adults think it's okay for other kids to be the object of unethical treatment whereas they wouldn't put up with harassment or discrimination in the workplace. it not only affects their quality of life but it affects their work. same thing with kids, they have to be in school for years and it affects their schooling and self-esteem.

that's what's crazy. why is it okay for a child to start pushing or picking fights (laying their hands on someone else)? they need to be penalized for it and it needs to be taken seriously!! i think it would be even better if the law got involved so that could start scaring the **** out of these juvenile delinquents. you lay your hands on someone else, that's assault, pure and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories