U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:12 PM

25 posts, read 229,745 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I may possibly be moving to Puerto Rico sometime near the end of summer. I don't speak ANY Spanish at all. I do speak French and Italian (and Korean) fluently and have been teaching French at the university for about a year now. I am wondering about jobs for non-spanish speaking folk. I intend to learn Spanish, but it will take me a while because language acquisition is a slow process. I would ideally like to teach either English, French, or Italian (preferably the first two) at a community college, possibly a university, or at a private school. If not, I was looking for any job that would allow me to apply my relatively limited skill set. I'm not sure which part of Puerto Rico I would be going to, but wanted to know about my options. Plus, some advice on the climate, transportation, demographics and such would be nice. I'm embarrassingly ignorant when it comes to the US territories, so I could use all the advice I can get! Thank you.

---I forgot to mention that I am of asian descent and was wondering if that would pose a problem. I have lived in a few places where Asians are relatively rare and though it wasn't a "problem", per se, but it was definitely a discomfort. PR seems relatively diverse in terms of people of european, hispanic, and african descent, but I don't hear too much about asians.

Last edited by baboo; 05-08-2009 at 11:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 04:25 PM

2,365 posts, read 10,510,206 times
I dont' think being asian would be a problem, just get a tan, you should fit right in. If you really want to fit in, take a 4 week spanish course, before you go.

If you want a job, then go online to U.S.A.dot gov! and select Puerto Rico! Buy a lonely planet book on puerto rico and make a llist of all of the schools and apply to them.

I know they have a french teaching site I came across on the internet.

Approach this as you would if you were livimg in New York and needed a job!

Be logical. Write or call the bureau of commerce and ask for their welcome packages. Go to the libary and get a list of their schools. Contact the bureau of french teachers or one of their organizations and ask them.
Do it yourself or pay someone to find you a job through a recruiter.

good luck!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:57 PM

Thanks gea12345 that's great advice. Is it really hard to get a job in PR? From what I've read it looks like slim pickins.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboo View Post
Thanks gea12345 that's great advice. Is it really hard to get a job in PR? From what I've read it looks like slim pickins.

You're welcome! ;-)

But you just need one job!

As I said before, during my search for an internship abroad in a French speakig country, since I too speak french, I came across a website for Jobs for French Teachers. Since it was not what i was looking for, I skimmed it, but i saw a few ads all over the united states, for french teachers including new york city.

I am sure they need french teachers in puerto rico at their private schools, who have their credentials!

good luck!

Old 05-12-2009, 06:49 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,628,390 times
One thing I would firmly advocate before you even think about moving to PR or any other US territory is what we call a PMV (Pre-Move Visit.) Stay in a small guest house or something similar (NOT in a tourist mecca) for a couple of weeks and live like a local in order to get the feel of the place. Go to the local banks, the supermarkets, the stores in general, the DMV, the Post Office and see how you feel. Island living is VERY different from anything you've been used to in Mainland USA and for some people it just isn't something they can get used to.

Why have you picked PR anyway? I'm just curious as you have no job lined up and don't even know to which part of PR you'll be going.

Cheers!

Old 05-12-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

Why have you picked PR anyway? I'm just curious as you have no job lined up and don't even know to which part of PR you'll be going.

I hadn't ever thought about PR before but my boyfriend has been offered a really nice job down in PR with housing and car included. He/we would be down there for at least a year and maybe more. I don't think we'll be in the tourist part because his company tends to have offices in smaller towns and regions. I should be finishing my master's up in June and he's asked me to come along. I have been doing some light research on PR and so far it sounds very very different from the mainland.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboo View Post
I hadn't ever thought about PR before but my boyfriend has been offered a really nice job down in PR with housing and car included. He/we would be down there for at least a year and maybe more. I don't think we'll be in the tourist part because his company tends to have offices in smaller towns and regions. I should be finishing my master's up in June and he's asked me to come along. I have been doing some light research on PR and so far it sounds very very different from the mainland.

Well, that is good that it is very different! I wish i were in your shoes. One year in a different environment. A great chance to learn Spanish and live in a fantastic home!

Downsides, people are poor!! People don't want to be new york or south carolina or alabama or kansas. They want to be Puerto Ricans with their own proud history and future. However, there are many who despise the poverty of PR and you can easily get into a "oh they are so backwards type people, type conversation."

Personlally I would love to be in your shoes!!

p.s. You forgot to mention that you are a woman. So, being a woman is never a problem. You will have at least half of the population very interested in you.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:03 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,628,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Well, that is good that it is very different! I wish i were in your shoes. One year in a different environment. A great chance to learn Spanish and live in a fantastic home!

Downsides, people are poor!! People don't want to be new york or south carolina or alabama or kansas. They want to be Puerto Ricans with their own proud history and future. However, there are many who despise the poverty of PR and you can easily get into a "oh they are so backwards type people, type conversation."

Personlally I would love to be in your shoes!!

p.s. You forgot to mention that you are a woman. So, being a woman is never a problem. You will have at least half of the population very interested in you.
How long did you live in PR or are you basing your views on having extensively visited the island? The reason I ask is that I've visited PR several times (our islands are pretty close to each other!) but I wouldn't presume to make sweeping generalizations about the quality of life and general attitudes there. Just curious!

Old 10-27-2009, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 46,678 times
So, did you end up moving to PR after all? Do you like it? For others who live there already, how do you like living in PR, especially in the Fajardo area?

Old 10-27-2009, 10:06 AM

177 posts, read 882,957 times
One more advise. Spoken word (or a verbal promise) is meaningless in PR. If you call a potential employer and they say there is a potential of a job for you, then get them to put it in writing (example email) with as many details as humanly possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories