U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 05:14 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,810,610 times

Advertisements

Today's sign says "warm beer, awful food." And I tooted the horn to Tina when I rolled over the speed bumps about an hour ago. Again, with all due respect. But hey, Guinness is Good. The only thing that ruffles me hereabouts is candy coating. I love it here, but it ain't for everyone. Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 7,379 times
Default Tranquilo

Hispanic is not technically a race. It is an ethnic group of mixed races. The title "Hispanic" came out in the 70's so that what was then known as Black would not someday hold the majority of domestic America's population. America's "intel" started the term Hispanic to divide the Black race, and to attempt to maintain a white or Non-black majority. There was a law in the U.S. stating if a person is more then one-eighth African decent they are legally black, and were not entitled the rights of white Americans. In most other countries in the Caribbean the African disapora's plite is better understood, in which a mixed-race person can be catergorized as which they choose, not a culture (e.g. Hispanic, Meditteranean.) You sound smart. We are in this world together, do not fall into America's desire to separate us. In short race and culture are two different things. Here is some info. One-drop rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am African-American with and English speaking and Spanish speaking Black family. Most of ancestry is from the Caribbean where obviously because of the slave trade we are part African, European, East and American Indian like 99% of the Diaspora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
The problem with those CIA stats is that altough over 16% of the population speaks Spanish, there is no mention of the percentage of Hispanic in the racial category. It appears to overlap with other racial groups. In terms of economics, there are so many different methods of measuring economic development...I am not an economists. Third, the CIA data does not break down by island.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:33 PM

62 posts, read 191,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I personally think that allowing internal self government was a bad choice for US territories. None of them are capable of it and they just elect same clowns over and over. It's almost like they want to be stuck in poverty and have high crime rates and everything else that goes along with electing a circus as your government.

Hopefully the 112th Congress will end internal self government and force a return to appointed governors and direct rule from Washington. Sorry guys, you had your chance and you blew it. They are embarrassing the nation with their antics and their little games, and its time that the nonsense stops.

Tulafono, Camacho, Fenty, Fitial, Fortuno, and de Jungh need to go back to middle school where they can play their silly games all they like. It's time for some competent leadership to take the reigns.
Second Worse thing that ever happened to the islands. Appoint the governors and hold them accountable.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:49 PM

5,196 posts, read 6,396,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I have a series of questions concerning the US Virgin Islands. I would like some observations and statistics to put the issues into perspective. I have heard some conflicting comments about the USVI and I would just like it if someone put it into perspective...

#1 How developed economically are the USVI really? I have heard about how modern St. Thomas is and I have heard it described as a Third World country. Or it a 2nd world country, in the middle? Does economic development vary by island?

#2 How bad is violent crime in USVI? I have not found ANY statistics on the internet. Is it as bad as DC or Baltimore? Are there "no-go" areas? Which areas are such? Does it vary by island?

#3 What is the attitude towards continentals, especially whites from the US Mainland?

#4 I have not found anything about the political future of the islands. Is there an independence movement or a statehood movement? What about commonwealth status?

#5 What are the demographics of the USVI really like? if we were to simply lump everyone into the most common US Mainland categories...Non-hispanic white, black, hispanic, asian, mixed, other What would the ethnic/racial composition of the islands look like? What are they on each island? You see, the US census data overlaps Hispanics into other groups because the term "hispanic" is ethnic not racial...while this is true it does not paint a portrait for the general public...The only thing I understand about USVI demographics is that it is a black majority, with White minorities on St. John and Hispanic minorities on St. Croix. Can anyone put this into perspective?

Thank you very much.
Well I am in St. Croix right now, Its not a poor place, no homeless beggers, or people that look down & out you know. I think the Rum Business is a major sector here in St. Croix, also I think Hess gas is a major player economically in St Croix. Crime? You know my cousins here are very cautious they think the native men, see me & my brother as opportunities to prove their manhood. We are black so we look like everyone else, but when we talk, all eyes are on us! We instantly stand out once we start talking. We were also told the men like wild america white women....I guess for sex reasons. They under the assumption that white women like sex more than black women of america. I think their are 3 main islands, Thomas, Croix & John. Dont know if the other two are like St. Croix.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by induhvidual View Post
OP,
Here is a brief essay I penned recently about my 1000 day stay in the VI
Hope this insight will answer some of your questions

Part 1

Welcome to St Thomas, America's Paradise.

Crystal clear waters, jewel-like sandy beaches, warm weather and beautuful people beckon.
Come on over, spend a day or a lifetime, you will not forget this experience and I guarantee you this.

WELCOME TO MAXIMUM ISLAND
You will have lizards and flying roaches in your home even though you keep it sealed. Dunno where they come from, maybe thur the sewage and then up the drains in the bathroom and kitchen

Your electric bill will be over $200.00 at a minimum but this will be the least of your worries.

You will experience frequent blackouts on the hottest and most humid still summer nights, especially when your favorite movie or sitcom is about to begin. The power plant here is antiquated and all too frequently grids shut down leaving parts of the island in darkness. Don't bother calling them, you won’t get an answer.

You will meet more rude and obnoxious people in a week than you have in your entire life who will think they are superior to you and always treat you like an outsider.
This is not aloha island. On your arrival, the beautiful girl with flowers will not show up; Instead, they are sending a big burly (and exceedingly rude) taxi driver who hates your guts and loves your money.

You will get poor service in places like banks and utilities.

You will find (or maybe not) normal people an rare and unusual species and so much so that you will instantly want to fall to the ground and worship this wonderful person whom you just met and want to befriend for life.

You will go through the five stages from Anger--to---Acceptance in a few short weeks.

You will live on the beach or just a short ride away but will be so busy making a living that you will never visit one.
You will wait for your tourist friends describe one to you, how they spent the day in crystal waters and satin sandy beaches and you will repeat this story to anyone who asks you which beach is best to go to.

You will wistfully glance at the sky at every passing plane, visualising a load of people going back to that promised land called the United States.

------------------------to be continued

MAXIMUM ISLAND PART 2

Welcome to sunny St Thomas.
It is 85 degrees in the shade and a beautiful day to go to the beach or just shop, have lunch and mingle with the native people.
We hope you have a wonderful time here and take back all the lovely memories back home with you. Thanks for visiting.

Reality check please.
You will meet even more rude, arrogant, blatantly racist and obnoxious people.
You will begin to doubt yourself and your sanity
You will begin to greet every passerby with a smile lest they accuse you of being rude and not liking "black people"
"Him deh don like we black folks yknow"
"Go back home yankee"
Any arguement with a native ends with a "I bawn hare" (I was born here and I am superior to you, Mr outsider. Your are now on my island and will play according to my rules)
Welcome to the bizzare world of the Virgin Islands

Upon arrival, you solemly swear to give up all forms of entertainment unless you are an alcoholic or druggie.
Most stores close at 5pm and the few restaurants at 10pm
There is nothing else to do after this.
Going to the local Kmart is a fun filled Sunday outing and you will witness several families doing just this.
If you go downtown, you are sure to be accosted by sleazy/very scary and definitely dangerous types who will want to sell you crack cocaine or any candy that you desire. And cheap too.
I think $5.00 or maybe $10.00 can purchase a glassine envelope of whatever.
There is a humorous aspect to this though.
Couple of years ago, police arrested (surprise) a vendor, only to find out he was selling baby powder.
So be warned though and do not prepay for your candy.
I have seen many a tourist do exactly this and then stand bewildered on the street corner waiting for candyman who is going to be a no-show.
Young male students are easy prey and you cannot exactly complain to the local police.

------------------------------------------------to be continued

part three

You will begin to look at every newcomer to the island the same way as hardened convicts view incoming prisoners, poor innocent noobs waiting for their indoctrination, blissfully unaware of things to come.

Your thanksgiving trip back home will be short and just a memory. Don't blink.

You will start to fantasize about leaving and will go to bed every night dreaming about your escape from Maximum Island.

It is a cold and crisp autumn day in suburban Pleasantville, USA.
You have just emerged from a hot shower and curled up on your favorite armchair, checking your email on your laptop and browsing the internet.

On the side table, a cup of coffee is busy blowing hot wisps into the air.
There is a thump thump of the washing maching in the adjoining room, an almost reassuring sound that takes you to the farthest, most tranquil place in your mind.

Outside, the autumn leaves are a golden red and there is a group of small kids trying valiantly to throw a yellow ball thru a hoop in the driveway.
You hear a door slam and some coffee spills.

You wake up; you are still in the VI.
It is 7.00am and harsh sunlight is streaming in the room thru the blinds you forgot to shut last night.
The ancient refrigerator is humming, now complaining loudly, imploring you to get up and leave the house.
You step into a tepid shower, grateful for the small trickle that cleanses your body of the perspiration and grime from the day before.
You step out into the brilliant sunshine and overpowering heat, a plastered smile on your face for the neighbors to see, promising yourself that this will be a good one; Another day in paradise.

Your last day.
Everything takes on a surreal dreamlike quality. You are in another place in your mind, it refuses to believe
I promise this will be the most exciting day of your life.
Remember when you were 6 years old and your parents took you to the first carnival ever.
That sweet ball of cotton candy that stuck to your lips. You gazed in wonderment and tried to take in everything all at once.
The first amusement ride, half scary half excited on the best day of your life.
Well fugghetaboutit.
This day is a total eclipse of all you best and most cherished memories.

As the taxi winds its way to the airport, you pass by a sign that says
"THANKS FOR VISITING THE VIRGIN ISLANDS, PLEASE COME AGAIN"

You vaguely remember the long wait in the terminal (you arrived here 3 hours earlier, didn't you, afraid you would miss this flight), you boarding pass clutched in your sweaty palms lest it take on a life of its own and fly away and you wake up, sweaty and damp in the middle of the night.
No, this is not a dream, you are actually leaving.
When the plane takes off, you are clutching onto the seat rests, not looking at the shrinking ground below and praying 'Pleas G~d, let this not be a dream, I promise to believe and pray henceforth"
The plane finally lands and the captain announces that "they will be landing shortly and the weather outside is whatever it is"
You are back in your hometown airport or somewhere else in that great land of ours that we call AMERICA.
Now you know what the hype is al about, don't you.
You are excited but not smiling because you try to mantain this cool demeanor. Of course I survived, it was a breeze, nothing really, no biggie, no great shake.
But inside, your heart is doing cartwheels and your hands are in the air as you dance on the streets to a rush of corny 80's ballads.
You are the star in your own pop-up video.
You get off the jetway, waiting to kiss the ground but too tired to do so.
Instead, you just hail an taxi and tell the driver --------------------------------------

"TAKE ME HOME, --PLEASE"
Lol this is how I felt when I went to St. Lucia, very uninvited, St. Croix has been a better experience, but the anti american thing is noticeable.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:59 PM

24,671 posts, read 60,652,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Well I am in St. Croix right now, Its not a poor place, no homeless beggers, or people that look down & out you know. I think the Rum Business is a major sector here in St. Croix, also I think Hess gas is a major player economically in St Croix. Crime? You know my cousins here are very cautious they think the native men, see me & my brother as opportunities to prove their manhood. We are black so we look like everyone else, but when we talk, all eyes are on us! We instantly stand out once we start talking. We were also told the men like wild america white women....I guess for sex reasons. They under the assumption that white women like sex more than black women of america. I think their are 3 main islands, Thomas, Croix & John. Dont know if the other two are like St. Croix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Lol this is how I felt when I went to St. Lucia, very uninvited, St. Croix has been a better experience, but the anti american thing is noticeable.
Moving to a new place is an adventure whether you're black or white or in between and has infinitely less to do with race or color than to do with your general adaptability. YOU are coming into THEIR zone. You go about your daily chores, do your job, slowly get to know your neighbors, learn the local mores and customs and none of this can be accomplished overnight, it all takes time.

I moved to Connecticut from England in 1968 but had been moved around much as a child so adjusting to a completely different way of life might well not have been as traumatic for me as it might have been for others. Likewise moving from Connecticut to the USVI in 1984 was a challenge but, 26 years later and through thick and thin, I'm still here and I'm a minority whitey and I've now lived here longer than I've lived anywhere else.

The USVI population comprises a wonderful mixture of so many people from so many different cultures who work together in harmony. Some local yokels regard anyone with a black skin but with education as alien beings who are out to steal their livelihood and that mindset also applies to "native sons" who've gone off-island to pursue a further education. They want to come back home to make a change but are stymied every step of the way and end up staying on the mainland.

FlyiMetro, you're a newbie here and if my observations go over your head then my apologies - BUT!

"We were also told the men like wild america white women....I guess for sex reasons. They under the assumption that white women like sex more than black women of america".

Such nonsense. How old are you?

"I think their are 3 main islands, Thomas, Croix & John. Dont know if the other two are like St."

Actually there are now four designated US Virgin lslands. St Thomas, St Croix, St John and Water Island.

Any other questions. m'son?

Old 12-06-2010, 01:01 AM

What?! *hissing teeth!* I said we were told by cousins about wild white women, I didnt say this & this Their ZONE crap they can have their little Zone. Im a visit I dont live there I am visiting relatives...Stop coming at me. Im peace & love. Relax.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:16 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,810,610 times
Anyone catch the Today Show this morning? A segment on crime and tourism in the Caribbean. The Caribbean has the highest per capita murder rate in the world, and you-know-where appears to have the highest murder rate under the U.S. Flag. Truly sad, and Chucky Hansen got re-elected. They talked about the poor girl from Puerto Rico that got murdered in crossfire out to Coki earlier this year, among others. There is no denying there are huge problems and they are not being solved. The entitlement attitude prevails, take what you can get no matter how you get it, for everyone from the Governor's Office down to the 11 year old with a knife or .357 Magnum. I see little hope for this Territory in coming years, relying solely on Hovensa and tourism. Expect a territorial income tax so the powers and government personnel can maintain their standard of living.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:28 PM

18,590 posts, read 16,967,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaeba View Post
Hispanic is not technically a race. It is an ethnic group of mixed races. The title "Hispanic" came out in the 70's so that what was then known as Black would not someday hold the majority of domestic America's population. America's "intel" started the term Hispanic to divide the Black race, and to attempt to maintain a white or Non-black majority. There was a law in the U.S. stating if a person is more then one-eighth African decent they are legally black, and were not entitled the rights of white Americans. In most other countries in the Caribbean the African disapora's plite is better understood, in which a mixed-race person can be catergorized as which they choose, not a culture (e.g. Hispanic, Meditteranean.) You sound smart. We are in this world together, do not fall into America's desire to separate us. In short race and culture are two different things. Here is some info. One-drop rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am African-American with and English speaking and Spanish speaking Black family. Most of ancestry is from the Caribbean where obviously because of the slave trade we are part African, European, East and American Indian like 99% of the Diaspora.
Incorrect. The Census had 3 categories up to 1930 Black, White, mulatto.
Mexicans were considered white. A SCOTUS case decreed as such in the 30s when a group of Mexican American parents in California sued to end segregation of their local school system, not on the basis of Brown v. Board that segregation was wrong,but that Mexicans were of primarily European descent and thus could not be separated from benefits for whites.

Mexican American and lighter appearing Puerto Ricans served in white units during WW2. Black Puerto Ricans were regulated to Black American units.

From about 1940-70 the Census introduced a Spanish mother tongue category to capture the Puerto Rican,Cuban and Mexican populations.
After that Hispanic was used. However it wasn't an attempt to divide Spanish speaking blacks or blacks and browns The divisions were already there.

Also the USA never had a law delineating race it was left up to the states. Most Southern states started out with the to the 1/4 black rule depending on appearance. An overzealous Virginia official introduced the one drop rule in the 20th century and the rest of the states followed.A ridiculous rule since after about 2 generations of race mixing some look white with no trace of African ancestry. It' estimated 10% of Louisiana's white population is black under the one drop rule.

For the Feds you were either Black or Mulatto. Often times light appearing African Americans were put down as whites by census takers

Old 01-20-2011, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 6,936 times
I live in St.Croix Us Virgin Islands. what i can say is that it is a beautiful island. i moved here a year ago from florida, it's different but the people here don't bother you if you don't bother them and that you have the respect to greet people with good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. but the prices here are rediculous but you don't pay taxes. but if you do decide to visit stay at carambola.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories