U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 04:12 PM

12,512 posts, read 10,964,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentoGT View Post
Prices in the VI indeed approach Manhattan-style levels...it's terrifically expensive to live here if you want to be in a semi-decent place...the people I have found for the most part to be friendly, but there are a cross-section of real a$$holes to deal with, both West Indian and stateside. It's a lot like everywhere else, there are good parts and bad parts, nice people and bad people, but I'd say the biggest challenges are gainful employment and being able to make a good living here.
So basically it's the same any other Caribbean nation, just with an American flavor mainly due to transplants and some imports. I don't know why anyone would move from the US to any Caribbean island expecting it to be like the States, just because it falls under the "USA" umbrella.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 08:01 PM

12 posts, read 28,098 times
You have to be out of your mind to waste a vaca in the USVI. Even St John. Go the the BVI and skip the crime

Old 01-09-2017, 05:39 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,769,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMinCC View Post
You have to be out of your mind to waste a vaca in the USVI. Even St John. Go the the BVI and skip the crime

How much worse is it now than it was in '11 and '12 when I was there last?

Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,810,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
How much worse is it now than it was in '11 and '12 when I was there last?
It isn't, and the previous commenter clearly knows nothing about the Virgin Islands. BVI is fine, but I could rattle off a dozen horrendous crimes that have occurred there over the past few years. They just keep it out of the press unless it is politically expedient (e.g., a crime by an off-islander without connections).

Both jurisdictions have "entitlement attitude" issues that pervades society and culture. Entitled to get what you can get, no matter how you get it or who you hurt and not matter what it takes. Top to bottom.

Love both places, but the BVI has recently leaned toward serious protectionist (read, "revenue generation") activities, increased their customs fees and created some serious problems with inter-island business and tourism. The USVI should do the same to them, but because everyone is related across the "international border," they won't. They'll pull some back before next tourist season, but for now they've once again screwed things up.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:33 AM

12 posts, read 28,098 times
I know plenty about the USVI. I sail those waters frequently.

A vaca on St Croix is exactly the same as Russian Roulette-good luck. I stop in the BVI quite a bit and have never had a problem. I don't radiate victim but none the less, I'm there and would see it.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:56 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,810,351 times
Then you apparently missed the four recent unsolved murders in the BVI, the upswing in gun crime, the rasta that was pirating at Norman several years ago, boarding boats, etc., etc. As to STX, my friends that live there wouldn't live anywhere else. Yes, there's problems everywhere. All of the Caribbean is an eyes-wide-open place. But your commentary was misleading. And if you want to haul out at Virgin Gorda, you NOW have to pay a $200.00 "yacht import duty," and $300.00 per person that will "work" on your boat, including the captain. They will also search your vessel for "spares" inventory and charge import duty on everything from cans of oil to extra impellers. When we hauled there in April for 5 days, it cost us a total of less than $7.00.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 526 times
Default STX and STT Crime

It is sad that such a beautiful place is so infested with criminals. By criminals I mean corrupt politicians, police and out of control gangs. Many are living of government assistance in low income "project" type housing. USVI is top 5 countries in murder per capita, many years worse than the worst cities in US, like Detroit, DC, NYC, New Orleans, LA, St. Louis. The police have a very high unsolved rate, despite a very limited population on a few tiny islands. Criminals have guns by the boatload, but the law abiding citizens are defenseless due to very restrictive gun laws, illegal tasers, and very slow police response times. Often news stories state the victim was driven to the hospital by ambulance before police arrived on the scene. Already 14 murders so far in 2017 and it is only 2 1/2 months in. That is on course for 70!!! murders for a population of 110,000 that is insane!! This isn't a fluke year, the murder rate has been out of control for many many years. Other crime like burglary, home invasions rape are also off the chart. Right now they are seeking a serial rapist on STT and a serial murderer on STX. The Feds need to come in and clean house. Oh, and they are in a worse debt situation than PR, with a $2 billion debt, 19,000 per capita vs 15k for PR. Stories like this all over the place, criminally negligent police work [url=http://www.cbsnews.com/news/virgin-islands-police-to-blame-for-unsolved-murder-of-nj-man/]Poor police work to blame in unsolved murder of James Malfetti, NJ man found stabbed to death in Virgin Islands? - CBS News[/url]

Posters should stop saying it is safe as long as you use common sense, or it has a high crime because of small population. Although many murders are drug related, many innocent people are targeted or are killed as collateral damage. It would be so easy to fix the problems, but there is no motivation by politicians to truly fix things.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:48 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,103,678 times
To be honest with you I haven't visited St Croix but I have visited St. Thomas and St. Johns. Lovely places but oh so expensive. I'm guessing you and your roommate best friend might not get much to live in with a big chunk of your pensions.

I myself got an early retirement buyout and settled down in Puerto Rico and loved it. Having a lot of health problems I'd really consider a place with larger cities like San Juan and Ponce and with large modern hospitals and clinics with up-to-date equipment and knowledge. Not very likely in St. Croix. Before my wife and I settled down and bought a place we visited about half the islands in the Caribbean and a couple of Mexican cities. I would take my time and try a few other places out to as a long-term tourist - maybe you could spend a month or so on a HomeAway so you an really get a feel for the place you want to spend the rest of your life.

I too left Texas after nearly 35 years in the oil patch both there and in Arabia and Nigeria. I definitely understand the desire to get it in the rear-view mirror with green mountains and blue Caribbean seas in the front window! I truly wish you luck, buddy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories