U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 06:47 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,634,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
I am new to this so i hope i am doing this right. I am currently in school finishing my dotorate nurse practitioner degree. I have read what I i'd like to think is everything i can get my hands on about the usvi. I have a three yr plan which involves moving there. i hope to @ the time of my move to have about $60-90 thousand us dollars saved before my move and no bills back home( should this sufice to get me settled if i decide not to work for 3-6 months?). I have one child who will be 14 at the time of the move(schools, private or public and university). I am irish/ indian decent with white, white skin but i figure a yr of tanning before my trip should sufice right...lol. I am by nature a very laid back person who hates all the hustle and bustle of living in a city. I have decided on St. Croix(mostly for the ease of job and the slower pace) and I have read all the links and post on this sight and many more and there are so many conflicting veiws. I plan on a pre move visit about one yr before I move for about two weeks( is this long enough?) I am currently 32 and this has been my dream for as long as i remember( i grew up in TN where its too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter). I am not racially biased and have dated and befriended almost every race of people on earth. I speak english and spanish and plan on french before I come. I plan to bring my suv with me it is paid for and in great condition. I don't know how to explain it but my heart and soul are calling me there. I know it will not be easy, but it obviously can be done right? I'm not asking you to fluff me up just to see cracks in my plan and help if you can. Thanks for any help you can offer!
Now that the nonsense has hopefully dissipated, time to get back to your original question!

First of all, your plan sounds rational and well thought out. Your color and ethnicity aren't an issue.

My main concerns for you are that you're not planning this trip for another three years so you may be a little premature in trying to garner information which, even though we chuckle about, "island time" actually does move along from time to time! For instance, we hope we don't have a repeat of Hurricane Hugo's devastation of St Croix in 1989 or Hurricane Marilyn's devastation of St Thomas in 1995 any time soon but one never knows and such catastrophic events can change things quite drastically for several years in the aftermath.

The money you're hoping to bring with you is more than sufficient to maintain you for quite some time. As far as a job is concerned, you may well be able to find a comfortable niche here in the medical field but be aware that the facilities here are not as good as you might be used to stateside and the remuneration likewise.

Schooling for your child? Public schools are generally poor although there are a few exceptions, private schools are generally very good but expensive. UVI has campuses on both STT and STX but the curriculae vary between the two.

The question about your SUV is looking rather far ahead. Island roads are hard on a vehicle and even if your SUV is pristine at the time of your move you'd have to look into cost of shipping versus its basic retail value before making any decision as to whether to bring it or not. There are ALWAYS decent used cars for sale on both STT and STX, particularly since it's a transient society. Those who bought something decent but who have to leave for whatever reason often sell their vehicles pretty cheaply when the leaving date rapidly approaches and their hoped-for price garners no offers.

A PMV of two weeks is good, as long as you understand that a PMV should be spent "living local" and not as a tourist. This means finding non-tourist accommodations, going to the banks, the DMV, the POs, the schools, the hospital, the supermarkets, etc. and learning about island life in general without wearing the rose-colored spectacles of a visitor.

I would suggest you make a PMV visit within the next year to see if island living really is something you could fit into and then, depending on what you find, make another PMV as you get closer to the date of your planned move.

One other thing - and this you can get a feel of where a PMV is concerned - as much as you "hate all the hustle and bustle of living in a city" this is the reason why so many people move here. Over 90% of them leave within five years. This is my home, for better and worse, but I do sometimes miss the diversity of city life with it's huge entertainment and recreational activities and the vastness of the mainland where you can drive along the highways and visit different states in a heartbeat. Island time is island time and the classical Stone's song always come to mind in my particular case in that, "You can't always get what you want but, if you try ... you might just find you get what you need."

I hope this has helped a little. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 07:17 AM

530 posts, read 595,329 times
Thanks. As strange as this sounds, the more I learn about STX, the more i have "island fever". Now I'm planning a trip this fall for two weeks...lol. While I'm there I do plan to spend time on the beach, But i thought I might just look into a job lol. I can get a travel assignment there for 13-26 wks paid for by my company. My main reason for waiting was to finish my doctorate but now I realize that after next yr I only have to be on campus 4 days a semester. Which fall right after christmas, and the end of summer...lol. If I could find md's to do clinicals with, I actually could look at moving after christmas...lol. So......All that said, I'm toying with the finances and we will see! I guess I'll know more after my fall visit. Thanks, maybe I'll go make me a painkiller to stave off the island fever for a while longer...lol.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:23 AM

62 posts, read 191,085 times
My perspective on St Croix after many visits.

Our son has a house on St. Croix and when I retired my wife and I spent many months over several trips looking for a place to retire on the Island. Some of the things we learned one can only discover by being there for an extended time.

If vacationing, St. Croix can be a very pleasant place. It has all the things one would expect of an island trip and lies under the protection of the American Flag. It is the largest of the USVI's and is agricultural/rural in character. The cultural "flavor" is somewhat different from the other two islands.

Now with regards to moving permanently to St. Croix, we discovered an island inhibited with natives who are racist and literally do not care for those who were not born and raised there. They still harbor some resentment to those Hispanics and their decedents who were moved from PR to the island.

At this junction, I need to disclose that I am Caucasian and my wife is Hispanic. The two of us independently and on several separate occasions experienced out right rudeness and racial discrimination. We live in the South Eastern United States and my wife has never experienced the animosity and hostility from Blacks like she experienced in St. Croix.

With regards to the governmental structure you need to be aware it is practically bankrupt financially. They are years behind on computing taxes and simply cannot return any taxes when you file your State Tax Return. Word of advice don't over estimate taxes owed because you will not get them back.

The Island Utility system is barely surviving and is repeat with graft. The streets are ALL full of potholes with no repair in sight. You would absolute need to place your children in one of the private schools on the island.

As to your working on St. Croix you better have a letter of employment before you arrive because no one gets a job on the island except natives and "friends" of the Governor. Speaking of the Governor, the political philosophy of the elected officials are to the left of Obama.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapata1818 View Post
My perspective on St Croix after many visits.

Our son has a house on St. Croix and when I retired my wife and I spent many months over several trips looking for a place to retire on the Island. Some of the things we learned one can only discover by being there for an extended time.

If vacationing, St. Croix can be a very pleasant place. It has all the things one would expect of an island trip and lies under the protection of the American Flag. It is the largest of the USVI's and is agricultural/rural in character. The cultural "flavor" is somewhat different from the other two islands.

Now with regards to moving permanently to St. Croix, we discovered an island inhibited with natives who are racist and literally do not care for those who were not born and raised there. They still harbor some resentment to those Hispanics and their decedents who were moved from PR to the island.

At this junction, I need to disclose that I am Caucasian and my wife is Hispanic. The two of us independently and on several separate occasions experienced out right rudeness and racial discrimination. We live in the South Eastern United States and my wife has never experienced the animosity and hostility from Blacks like she experienced in St. Croix.

With regards to the governmental structure you need to be aware it is practically bankrupt financially. They are years behind on computing taxes and simply cannot return any taxes when you file your State Tax Return. Word of advice don't over estimate taxes owed because you will not get them back.

The Island Utility system is barely surviving and is repeat with graft. The streets are ALL full of potholes with no repair in sight. You would absolute need to place your children in one of the private schools on the island.

As to your working on St. Croix you better have a letter of employment before you arrive because no one gets a job on the island except natives and "friends" of the Governor. Speaking of the Governor, the political philosophy of the elected officials are to the left of Obama.
Many thanks for your input which includes some truisms but also some outright nonsense. Cheers!

Old 05-23-2009, 03:38 PM

62 posts, read 191,085 times
Ok, fanboy what is the nonsense? Please enlighten us?

Old 05-23-2009, 03:39 PM

530 posts, read 595,329 times
I do want everyone to be aware that the city in which I live is the #3 per capita in the us for violent crime. I PAY OVER $6000 a yr to put my 5th grader in private school because the public schools are sooo bad. You can't drink the water...lol or I wouldn't and even though I'm White, I'm still the minority. You will never find ruder people anywhere in the service industry than here. I am also a nurse and can I mention that I even find our healthcare here to be substandard in places. And I live in Tennessee! The company I work for does travel assignments to the USVI, so I'm thinking before I move permently I'll take a 13-26 wk travel assignment there.When I finish my school, I'll be able to work for myself so maybe it won't be too bad. Even though it has been 15 yrs since I was there, I do not remember anyone being rude to me on my trip, I do remember feeling a sense of home and calm there that I had never felt before or since anywhere in the world I have traveled. Not to mention, the most beautiful water I have ever seen!!! The more I converse on here the farther up I move my plans to come...lol. See ya'll soon!

Old 05-23-2009, 04:53 PM

737 posts, read 2,313,737 times
I've never experienced any rudeness BUT have never been rude to anyone... so there ya go.

Sounds like you're doing the appropriate research and that you've been able to wade through some of cr*p on this thread.

Remember, anywhere you hang your hat doesn't mean you're getting married to the island and it might just be a temporary experience for you. I think it will depend on your expectations, your visit and interact with as many people as possible when you visit. We thought we were here on vacation over three years ago and we're still here, full-time. With regards to filing income tax, we have a FL residence so we don't file in the VI. Good luck and bon voyage!

Old 05-24-2009, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
The company I work for does travel assignments to the USVI, so I'm thinking before I move permently I'll take a 13-26 wk travel assignment there.
Excellent idea.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:14 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,810,019 times
I really, really have to caution someone moving here that STT Resident seems to be in some kind of denial. The earlier post from Induhvid had many, many more "truisms" in it than anything STT seems to gloss over. And, of course, the response is "if you hate it so much here, why don't you move?" We don't hate it here. And while living here over 10 years doesn't qualify in your eyes as "experienced," here's the upshot: We have many friends on STT, STJ and STX. This is, however, a strange place compared to anywhere stateside. Corruption is rampant. Rudeness is typical. Teeth-sucking is expected. 26 murders so far this year, and they ALWAYS pick up in the summer months. No, you're NOT #3 in crimes per capita. You're #4, since we're number 1, but, as stated, most in the U.S. couldn't find us on a map.

Now, one last thing: STT resident is in Smith Bay and owns a bar or restaurant. If it's the one I think it is, about 10 years ago a buddy of mine was sitting at a table dining with friends when one of the local thugs walked in, robbed the place and shot the guy sitting next to my friend dead. The thug was never caught, but justice was had. See, if you have any "connections" here, you can get away with murder. However, if you mess with the wrong people, or commit crimes against the wrong people (particularly on the North), nobody bothers with the police. Crimes are dealt with quietly and harshly.

Like I said. This jurisdiction is "different" than anything stateside.

By the way, STT, as you begin typing to refute everything I've said: how'd you like the draft Constitution? Any racism in there? Ain't Bert Bryan a hoot? Now, rethink what you were going to type.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
By the way, STT, as you begin typing to refute everything I've said: how'd you like the draft Constitution? Any racism in there? Ain't Bert Bryan a hoot? Now, rethink what you were going to type.
Addlebrain is no hoot. He's an evil racist troublemaker with severe mental problems. The draft constitution will go absolutely nowhere as have all the others before - a total waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories