U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 07:54 PM

530 posts, read 595,726 times

Advertisements

There are always good and bad anywhere you live. I have spent quite a bit of time in mexico, africa, asia...etc. I am many things but niave isn't one of them. I have somehow managed my 32 yrs existance whithout any crime committed against me and i'm in the medical feild...lol. I find usually if you are humble and kind, people follow suit. I also have to say being single and what some might call attractive(curvy) hasn't hindered me in my travels and usually one good friend (doorman, bartender, taxi driver) is all it takes to open doors and find your way around. I am somewhat drawn off the beaten path, and this is where i find the most peace. One cannot help the cry of ones heart, and this is now where it calls me. If for somereason the island and i don't fall inn love, then it will be a sweet/disappointing love affair, and haven't we all had those. I think mostly when one goes with peace, looking, one finds itsself on the recieving end of peace as well. This has always suited me thusfar in my travels and i hope it will continue for a long time to come. Look for the good and you will usually find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 10:11 PM

5,556 posts, read 7,078,287 times
I am a native Virgin Islander from St.Thomas to be exact. I DON'T live at home currently but home is where my heart is. I will readily admit all is not well, but some of us are trying our darndest to pressure on our government to make some changes even if we do it from abroad. One of those changes happened recently (this past week) and it was a change in police commissioners. There seems to be a growing level of discontent from concerned citizens as well as visitors in relation to crime and on a lesser level, customer service.

That being said and while still troubling, MOST of the murders committed so far has been over old beefs, retaliations and gang activity. There is not some current wave of violent attacks on tourist visitors as far as I can tell. This is NOT to minimize crime against locals in any way, but just wanted to limit unrestrained paranoia.

What is a little more troubling is the increase in brazen armed robberies of people on the streets as well as businesses. As anywhere else, one has to do everything necessary to make sure they do not make themselves easy targets and exercise vigilance in the meantime. Other than that, I want folks to know we have their back in trying to take back our islands from the thugs trying to destroy it.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:16 PM

530 posts, read 595,726 times
There are bad elements everywhere. I just hate that somewhere this beautiful, with soo much potential gets a brow beating! Some of these people need to come visit memphis, tn, and they'll wish for the horribleness of usvi, and we don't even have an ocean view...lol

Old 06-01-2009, 02:49 AM

345 posts, read 1,155,188 times
I hope they get their police thing sorted out. I remember talking to the second in command of the STT police force about an incident when my father was beat with a pipe. The man said and i quote "I do not care about you're problems" and hung up. I immediately began writing letters to everyone in government I could think of...

The police sure do have some nice SUVs though

Old 06-01-2009, 06:44 AM

5,556 posts, read 7,078,287 times
Where have we heard this before?

"I went to Jamaica for Easter for my first and last time. I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Montego Bay. The room was ugly, the food was nasty tasting and expensive, the tiny beach was pathetic. And the people were the rudest, most hostile people I have encountered anywhere.

Why go to "the islands" at all? Florida is much nicer. Better beaches-
no bums selling drugs and junk when all you want to do is try to relax on the beach
."

Yes trmihall01, we often take a beating and sometimes I feel we are held to a higher standard and that a place like Jamaica (where I have been some 20 times) which is far more violent and has its own issues gets this romantic pass with tourists. Don't get me wrong, I love that island, but I feel less safe there UNLESS I stay in one of their "pens," a name some tourists have given to their all-inclusive resorts which are designed to keep the tourists locked away from the natives.

In St.Thomas, like New York or Miami it is a little more "open" and as a result, life happens. Unfortunately this involves the good, the bad and the ugly. Fortunately I still hear lots of good about our islands.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 17,032 times
I've read all of the messages in this thread and in a couple of others about moving to the Virgin Islands. I appreciate all of the varied points of view from so many people with long-term experiences there.

What standard of living would I expect to have there on about $50K pre-tax income? I would work as a public high school teacher on either STT or STX and my girlfriend has a "mobile" income. We have both lived in campers and RVs. Neither of us watches TV, but we do like our high-speed Internet and coffee beans. We buy most of our clothing second-hand. I speak two languages and she speaks four. We love scenery and new people and experiences.

Suddenly, it sounds like we might be ideal ex-pats. As long as we can pay the bills.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:45 PM

24,671 posts, read 60,652,504 times
I'm sorry not to have responded earlier but didn't see your post as it was superseded in short shrift by PR questions!

I don't know if you have researched on USVI Moving Center - The Ultimate Resource for Relocating to and Living in the Virgin Islands but it's a site specifically oriented towards people thinking of moving to the VI and, apart from the ongoing forum, contains archived stories from those who have made the move along with all sorts of information pertaining to COL. There are a couple of regular posters on the forum who teach on STX and I've known several teachers on STT over the years who have come and gone - and the "gone" isn't necessarily a negative.

The islands have a very high attrition rate where newbies are concerned but many young professional couples leave after a few years when a child is on the way and where schooling is concerned. That's a whole 'nother story which doesn't apply where you're concerned.

First of all, in response to your question, there is no living here on either STT or STX in campers or RVs but I think you probably said that as simply denoting that you can do without much luxury? $50K you can get by on OK as a single. Not sure I understand what your girlfriend's "mobile" income means (I may be old but sometimes my fantasies run rather rampant!) but assume it may be something related to the internet?

High speed internet might be a problem for you. We are rather far behind where that's concerned. However, you'll find an ongoing discussion of interest on the forum at the research center link I posted.

Good luck!

I know that CD has rules about posting links to other sites but trust that I'll be forgiven!!! Cheers and good luck!

Old 07-11-2009, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 17,032 times
No problem at all. I appreciate that you responded.

Thanks for the link. I'll be looking through that site for more info.

Yes, I only mentioned RV/camper living to show what degree of "luxury" we're used to. To satisfy your curiosity, she translates documents for a living, completely from home, completely through the Internet. If service is iffy, that's definitely good to know in advance. She would contribute about $20K to our income that way.

Thanks again!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:01 AM

4 posts, read 27,982 times
no murders have not been solved on the small chance that a killer is arrested rarely do they actually end up in court, if they do they are rarely convicted and if they are the court reverses the conviction and either reduces or just lets the killers go. Do not look for protection or justice when in the vi. Don't even try to compare the murder rate in the VI to the States. In 2008 NYC had approximately 550 murders in order to catch up to the VI murder rate there would have had to be over 2400 murders in NYC. Don't try to say the VI is no different and possibly safer than the US

Old 07-31-2009, 10:52 AM

4 posts, read 27,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
You have any recent newspapers?
There have been more than 33 murders to date in the USVI during 2009. No the murders are not solved and witnesses continue to be threatened and therefore are afraid to come forward. People who testify at murder trials as well as defendants routinely lie under oath and are never prosecuted for perjury. The system is broken the Islands are unsafe and no one should travel there with expectations of a care free vacation.
The murder rate is five times that of New York City!

Criminals that are convicted have friends i
at the Department of Corrections that set them free without the judge who sentenced them or Justice department even knowing they are free until they kill again.
These are facts that can be backed up by reading the archives of the VI Daily News.

The USVI should be listed on the US government list of places our citizens should not travel to because of the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories