U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 05:27 PM

5,426 posts, read 5,865,436 times

Advertisements

I'm an island guy, and I had thought about moving to USVI. But I can't think of many ways it would be better there than in Hawaii or Guam. But maybe I'm mistaken.

If someone has spent a lot of time in the VI and Hawaii or Guam, is there much reason to prefer VI over those two?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 12,223 times
Default Did he lie to you too? I know who he is

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamonia View Post
Can anyone give me information on a man known as Blayke Lee Wright. He is from Hospital Grounds, VI. I believe he ran a photography studio there.This is important to a group of people. He ran a website/chat forum that we were all members of. He has important info on us and our children.On July 23 he was arrested for using a stolen identity of a SD 15 year old girl.It is important that we find out information about who this man reallly was.Tried to contact the newspaper but did not receive an answer.Can anyone direct me as to where to look and find out if he is still in jail and if he did indeed steal this girls identity?Thank You!

what is your concern with him? I know who he really is. Don't trust him.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 12,050 times
Thumbs up The Prodigal Son Says

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamonia View Post
Can anyone give me information on a man known as Blayke Lee Wright. He is from Hospital Grounds, VI. I believe he ran a photography studio there.This is important to a group of people. He ran a website/chat forum that we were all members of. He has important info on us and our children.On July 23 he was arrested for using a stolen identity of a SD 15 year old girl.It is important that we find out information about who this man reallly was.Tried to contact the newspaper but did not receive an answer.Can anyone direct me as to where to look and find out if he is still in jail and if he did indeed steal this girls identity?Thank You!

Panamonia,
You are looking for info about Blayke Lee Wright. I may have some info you need. Please get a hold of me if you still need it. One thing I can say now is, YES he did steal Blayke Lee Wright identity. However, before I can help you anymore, I need to be sure you and your group are good people.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:10 PM

1 posts, read 11,980 times
Default Information please

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son View Post
Panamonia,
You are looking for info about Blayke Lee Wright. I may have some info you need. Please get a hold of me if you still need it. One thing I can say now is, YES he did steal Blayke Lee Wright identity. However, before I can help you anymore, I need to be sure you and your group are good people.
I'm also a member of said group. This man has been an online friend of mine for more than a year now and I can tell you that we're all concerned for his well being as well as the well being of his daughter. We'd like to be able to correspond with him while he's incarcerated but I got hung up on by the police department as well so we can't even find a mailing address to which to send letters. Thanks for any help you can give us.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:06 AM

62 posts, read 191,105 times
"I would work as a public high school teacher on either STT or ST" sdog74

If you don't already have a contract before arriving on St. Croix chances are you will never land a job teaching.

As a follow up to my earlier post, for information my wife is a citizen of both the United States and Colombia. For that reason we are able to live for six months at a time in Bogota, a city with over seven million people. I can tell you without a doubt the Colombian people are worlds away more friendly and welcoming than natives on the Island of St. Croix. Even though I struggle with the Spanish language they will go out of their way to offer assistance.

Like any big city one must be careful the places visited. Perhaps because I am more alert in Bogota I feel just as safe as in St. Croix. Of course if you only go/stay out on the East End of the Island you will feel safer.

On the matter of pot holes in streets, I believe on a per capita basis there are more on the Island.

Again on a per capita basis, drugs are probably used more on the Island. Murders in Colombia are probably not as many a number on a per capita basis. Kidnapping in Colombia is a fact of life where one must be expecially aware and alert.

Because of unpleasant experiences on St. Croix we elected instead to purchase a retirement/vacation home in Colombia.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:21 PM

13,623 posts, read 11,358,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
... but when people who have left here and hurl diatribes and misinformation in such a limited forum as this is where the USVI is concerned, the very limited few locals who even KNOW about this forum and choose to contribute feel almost compelled to stand up and correct. We know full well that the USVI is as imperfect as anywhere else on the planet but don't care to see it totally trashed by a few.

right on!!! st croix born resident 46 years. i hate it when i here someone bash the island because he or she had a bad experience. that happens all over the world everyday. i wen't to seattle in 1982 and all it did was rain for four months of drizzly cold rain. people were jumping off the space needle it was so depressing!!! and at that time in 1982 seattle had one of the highest suicide and violence rates in the country. i ran so fast from that state with my tail between my legs that i left a trail of poop all the way back to st croix if he thinks people are rude in the us vi then he hasen't been to new york yet

and you just can't beat the weather here. right now 77f with nice breezes

Old 12-31-2009, 05:39 PM

13,623 posts, read 11,358,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I'm an island guy, and I had thought about moving to USVI. But I can't think of many ways it would be better there than in Hawaii or Guam. But maybe I'm mistaken.

If someone has spent a lot of time in the VI and Hawaii or Guam, is there much reason to prefer VI over those two?
you want to switch places for a month what hawaiian island do live on, it's a lot smaller down here compared to say the big island of wawaii which has 4000 square miles of area. st croix is 84 square miles st thomas is less with two thirds of that.. and st john is the smallest of the three. i guess it all depends on what you like to do, if you like island hopping, sailing around the the caribbean is the place to be. i know a guy and his wife that have lived here for like 40 years that sailed around the world and they said hands down that the caribbean is the best safest place to go island hopping..

Old 02-02-2010, 07:35 PM

611 posts, read 1,283,891 times
I lived on STJ in 2006. Moving to the VI was a shock. I don't think that people realize the loss of creature comforts, cultural norms and habits. Nothing is quickly done in the VI. Who am I to criticize that? Its not my island. I think Americans, who have never lived outside of the mainland, and are used to having everything quick, fast and right now (like, even medical care) need to really look deep inside themselves and analyze whether or not they can ADAPT to life on the islands. If someone is willing to give up the American Materialistic lifestyle than it is a wonderful place to live. Sure the locals are hostile!
(As someone who is half African American, I can understand why the locals are hostile)
Good jobs are hard to get unless your a local (or in VERY good with one).....but there are some things on the islands that cant even compare to the unhealthy, selfish lifestyle of the mainland. If I wanted to wait tables for the rest of my life, I would have stayed there. It was wonderful.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:21 AM

1,772 posts, read 4,074,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
I lived on STJ in 2006. Moving to the VI was a shock. I don't think that people realize the loss of creature comforts, cultural norms and habits. Nothing is quickly done in the VI. Who am I to criticize that? Its not my island. I think Americans, who have never lived outside of the mainland, and are used to having everything quick, fast and right now (like, even medical care) need to really look deep inside themselves and analyze whether or not they can ADAPT to life on the islands. If someone is willing to give up the American Materialistic lifestyle than it is a wonderful place to live. Sure the locals are hostile!
(As someone who is half African American, I can understand why the locals are hostile)
Good jobs are hard to get unless your a local (or in VERY good with one).....but there are some things on the islands that cant even compare to the unhealthy, selfish lifestyle of the mainland. If I wanted to wait tables for the rest of my life, I would have stayed there. It was wonderful.
As a native of Puerto Rico, your reviews are spot on about Caribbean life in general. The bolded above brings up an interesting point though. I find it rather troubling that there has to be such a mutually exclusive relationship between living a life of decreased productivity for the benefit of weather and scenery, and having modern conveniences. Along those lines I find it troubling that we come to accept a life of decreased productivity as equivalent to lacking modern conveniences. Western Europe doesn't toil 60hr/wk for the benefit of online banking and broadband internet, they do it in 35. So the islands could presumably do the same, given the right leadership. So, I don't think this dynamic is naturally so, but I do agree it presently is a reality when having to choose between continental living and island living.

Your last sentence says it all. I've said much the same about my birthplace. PR/USVI are a great place to visit, and a horrible place to live. That's a very scathing review indeed. How can a place that ranks as such a poor choice to raise your own family be good enough for you to vacation in? Isn't that inherently bourgeoisie? Yes, there is always going to be a cheaper access to resources in continents versus islands, but that shouldn't yield an automatic life "of waiting tables for life" for the island folk. Ah, but then Jimmy Buffet and Kenney Chesney (i hate that midget) wouldn't sell millions of itunes copies of their "tired midwestern redneck wishes he could be in the caribbean instead of the local factory" USVI alluding songs. How disingenuous. Easy living got nothing to do with drinking piña coladas in a turquoise water beach in St John, it's got more to do with making millions sitting on a mcmansion collecting royalties instead of breathing metal dust in some "-10deg outside 100deg inside" metallurgy plant in north central Indiana for jack squat an hour. In that respect the islands are being held hostage to a completely foreign class warfare that's got nothing to do with the bona fide idiosyncrasies of living in an island. They are being pawns of the continental american wage disparity between the capital owning class and the working stiff, latter who got forced into 60hr/wk not because he finds it morally satisfying, but because he can't keep up.

I think as a consequence of the above, there is a tendency to shun the values of continental living when traveling through the islands. This is to say, people usually flock continental living for a decreased pace of life, and have been brainwashed by hollywood of the 1960s about what represents island living. People think Jimmy Buffet and margaritas, doing jack $%it all day. I think this is the problem, and where the "great place to visit, bad place to work and live" attitude comes from. Islanders contribute athletes, engineers, teachers, scientists and generally educated and capable workers to the mainland. So there is not a lack of natural talent to be able to create the kind of human labor infrastructure for you to have online banking, fast ATMs, good roads, decent urban planning et al. But since the island economies are more concerned about keeping a few families in power and a lot of rich tourists brainwashed in the idea that living in an island is about walking in sandals all day and overpaying for everything, then that's what people get.

In essence, my point is that these values and the aforementioned qualities people seek in island living don't have to be mutually exclusive. I doubt this will change though, which is tragic for the local folks; an accepted and mainland-fostered second class citizen status, mere entertainers at the circus for the stressed mainlanders. Which is why the educated and driven emigrate.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:09 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,652,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
A good post but I'd like to add to it from a slightly different perspective and present an analogy which I think is relevant.

When I immigrated to the US from England in the late 60's, I was in my early 20's and experienced a rather big culture shock. My husband at the time and I had done some research but the nuances evaded us and at that time, of course, the internet didn't exist as a research tool - imagine!

We lived in Connecticut, he had a very good job as part of the UK/USA "brain drain" at the time and I quickly found employment as well.

After the marriage ended in divorce I stayed in Connecticut and was there for total 17 years but I still remember the difficulties of adjusting to a very different environment. When I remarried and subsequently opened up my own business in rural Connecticut, it took several years before the locals really accepted me as someone worth knowing - and I accepted that because I was a "newbie" and, having moved around during my childhood, probably had more innate knowledge of relocating than many others.

I'm now in my 26th year of living on St Thomas and went through the same pains as anyone moving into a small local neighborhood. For true some locals appear "hostile" towards newbies but their hostility has very little to do with race or color or anything else. The attrition rate of newbies here is HUGE as they come here with stars in their eyes expecting that because we fly the US flag it'll be just like hometown USA but with better weather! Of course not so. Thus the local reticence to immediately accept. Many come here without doing any research at all even though the information is now right to hand (via the internet). They read only what they want to read, absorb what they choose to absorb and skip over the negatives because they think they're "special" and know all.

My apologies if I sound rather jaded on the subject but after so many years here (I've lived here now longer than I've lived anywhere else in my life) I do confess that I too view many newbies reservedly. They may very well be very nice people, I accept them at face value and make them feel welcome but I don't expect that generally they'll stick around for a long time.

Once in a while I still get the racial epithets hurled at me (I'm white) by ignorant twits who get their cars towed out of my clearly posted parking lot and have no better things to do than label me, scream and yell. C'est la vie.

Am I a local? I don't know and I don't care about labels. Many bahn-here people I know consider me such. Some idiots don't like down-island immigrants or blacks who come from stateside. They don't even like their local brothers who made a career for themselves stateside and hanker to come back to their home and make a change. What does that tell you?

My apologies for rambling. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories