U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 02:34 PM

5,556 posts, read 7,076,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace View Post
There have been more than 33 murders to date in the USVI during 2009. No the murders are not solved and witnesses continue to be threatened and therefore are afraid to come forward. People who testify at murder trials as well as defendants routinely lie under oath and are never prosecuted for perjury. The system is broken the Islands are unsafe and no one should travel there with expectations of a care free vacation.
The murder rate is five times that of New York City!

Criminals that are convicted have friends i
at the Department of Corrections that set them free without the judge who sentenced them or Justice department even knowing they are free until they kill again.
These are facts that can be backed up by reading the archives of the VI Daily News.

The USVI should be listed on the US government list of places our citizens should not travel to because of the crime.
PLEASE don't say "no murders are solved." I am not even excusing our [sometimes] sorry police department, but they make arrests and they do try folks and toss them in jail. Please don't give off the impression that murderers are just killing and running free and no one is looking for them.

Virgin Islands, Virgin Islands Newspaper, A Pulitzer Prize Winning Newspaper, Virgin Islands Guide, Virgin Islands Info (http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/index.pl/article_home?id=17643436 - broken link)

Virgin Islands, Virgin Islands Newspaper, A Pulitzer Prize Winning Newspaper, Virgin Islands Guide, Virgin Islands Info (http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/index.pl/article_home?id=17643401 - broken link)

Virgin Islands, Virgin Islands Newspaper, A Pulitzer Prize Winning Newspaper, Virgin Islands Guide, Virgin Islands Info (http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/index.pl/article_home?id=17643400 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
As a native of Puerto Rico, your reviews are spot on about Caribbean life in general. The bolded above brings up an interesting point though. I find it rather troubling that there has to be such a mutually exclusive relationship between living a life of decreased productivity for the benefit of weather and scenery, and having modern conveniences. Along those lines I find it troubling that we come to accept a life of decreased productivity as equivalent to lacking modern conveniences. Western Europe doesn't toil 60hr/wk for the benefit of online banking and broadband internet, they do it in 35. So the islands could presumably do the same, given the right leadership. So, I don't think this dynamic is naturally so, but I do agree it presently is a reality when having to choose between continental living and island living.

Your last sentence says it all. I've said much the same about my birthplace. PR/USVI are a great place to visit, and a horrible place to live. That's a very scathing review indeed. How can a place that ranks as such a poor choice to raise your own family be good enough for you to vacation in? Isn't that inherently bourgeoisie? Yes, there is always going to be a cheaper access to resources in continents versus islands, but that shouldn't yield an automatic life "of waiting tables for life" for the island folk. Ah, but then Jimmy Buffet and Kenney Chesney (i hate that midget) wouldn't sell millions of itunes copies of their "tired midwestern redneck wishes he could be in the caribbean instead of the local factory" USVI alluding songs. How disingenuous. Easy living got nothing to do with drinking piña coladas in a turquoise water beach in St John, it's got more to do with making millions sitting on a mcmansion collecting royalties instead of breathing metal dust in some "-10deg outside 100deg inside" metallurgy plant in north central Indiana for jack squat an hour. In that respect the islands are being held hostage to a completely foreign class warfare that's got nothing to do with the bona fide idiosyncrasies of living in an island. They are being pawns of the continental american wage disparity between the capital owning class and the working stiff, latter who got forced into 60hr/wk not because he finds it morally satisfying, but because he can't keep up.

I think as a consequence of the above, there is a tendency to shun the values of continental living when traveling through the islands. This is to say, people usually flock continental living for a decreased pace of life, and have been brainwashed by hollywood of the 1960s about what represents island living. People think Jimmy Buffet and margaritas, doing jack $%it all day. I think this is the problem, and where the "great place to visit, bad place to work and live" attitude comes from. Islanders contribute athletes, engineers, teachers, scientists and generally educated and capable workers to the mainland. So there is not a lack of natural talent to be able to create the kind of human labor infrastructure for you to have online banking, fast ATMs, good roads, decent urban planning et al. But since the island economies are more concerned about keeping a few families in power and a lot of rich tourists brainwashed in the idea that living in an island is about walking in sandals all day and overpaying for everything, then that's what people get.

In essence, my point is that these values and the aforementioned qualities people seek in island living don't have to be mutually exclusive. I doubt this will change though, which is tragic for the local folks; an accepted and mainland-fostered second class citizen status, mere entertainers at the circus for the stressed mainlanders. Which is why the educated and driven emigrate.
I'm not going to front, but you do make some very good points here even if it pains me to have to admit and face reality on some of these issues. Still, I'm glad the "STT Residents" of the world are there as testament to some success stories. As with anywhere, one should realize that not every place on the planet might suit them. Just saying.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:31 PM

13,623 posts, read 11,354,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
I lived on STJ in 2006. Moving to the VI was a shock. I don't think that people realize the loss of creature comforts, cultural norms and habits. Nothing is quickly done in the VI. Who am I to criticize that? Its not my island. I think Americans, who have never lived outside of the mainland, and are used to having everything quick, fast and right now (like, even medical care) need to really look deep inside themselves and analyze whether or not they can ADAPT to life on the islands. If someone is willing to give up the American Materialistic lifestyle than it is a wonderful place to live. Sure the locals are hostile!
(As someone who is half African American, I can understand why the locals are hostile)
Good jobs are hard to get unless your a local (or in VERY good with one).....but there are some things on the islands that cant even compare to the unhealthy, selfish lifestyle of the mainland. If I wanted to wait tables for the rest of my life, I would have stayed there. It was wonderful.

you make it sound like all the locals are hostile... not true. there's a lot of old timers that are simple nice people.. that don't care about the materialistic rat race that goes on in the mainland..

Old 05-11-2010, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 5,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Why don't you just relax! and go there on a small vacation and make your own asumptions.

Remember what european means to you may mean something different in another country.

Most people who come here to America from the islands and other countries, find the American way of dividing people into colors, like red, yellow, black, brown and white is Non sensical!!

Most countries divide amoung ethnicities.

Remember a person of european ancestry like a irish race person is going to be different culturally who grew up in Virgin Islands, or Jamaica or America!! You will be very suprised!

Most distinctions come down between rich and poor! And most people have all kinds of relatives of all different levels of melanin in their skin. Some with high, some with low.

good luck!
I went there to relax, work & enjoy life. Only I was shot, attacked and terrorized for living. The claim because I am a stupid white person.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:43 PM

62 posts, read 191,085 times
You have been warned!

Old 05-13-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Freedom View Post
I went there to relax, work & enjoy life. Only I was shot, attacked and terrorized for living. The claim because I am a stupid white person.
Can you elaborate on this please? I'm curious if your attacker(s) called you stupid while shooting you or whether that is what you thought. Not minimizing your ordeal though.

Thanks.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:01 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,810,019 times
We are easily on track for the highest murder rate per capita in the world. Six violent deaths just last weekend. No respect for human life from a large segment of the population. We still have corrupt cops and the "blue wall of silence" exists with a fury. It starts at the top, the nepotism, greed and expected luxuries (for unqualified people who really don't want to work) from government employment, and filters down to the kid from Anna's Retreat with a .357 magnum or an AK-47 looking to steal a gold necklace. Take it, steal it, no matter how you get it, you have a right to it. You're a "native Virgin Islander". The entitlement attitude is omnipresent. Where is the last Governor? The one before him? Both have taken up residence in the continental U.S. with occassional visits to the territory to pick up what scraps they can still obtain. Heck, Schneider was trying to get unlimited practice rights at the hospital recently by Legislative fiat. Makes you wonder what he had on Tony and the other legislators trying to push through the legislation that would've ended portions of the hospital's funding. And it was a published fact that he "settled" with the AG for $50,000 after the discovery of a missing $800,000 after he left office. And two Assistant AG's quit over the failure to prosecute.

All that said, I haven't had a problem here, but my neighbors take care of "issues" and there is an unwritten rule about messing with people on the North Side. A lot of people continue to leave this "container economy" that is ridiculously dependent on the U.S. for handouts that get diverted straight into someone's pocket. We thought the "new" Governor might change things, but that was unwarranted optimism. There are many, many good people in the USVI, but there is a large population of those with an entitlement attitude that you simply have to avoid and work around. I have seen many come and go, some more quickly than others. Many natives leave simply because if you can't get "in" the government and get padded for life, with free airfares, the SUV, gas and all the other perks, it is very, very difficult to get ahead.

With all its warts, its a great place, but an admittedly weird, wonderful and potentially dangerous place that causes nearly everyone to maintain an eye north to America just in case.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:38 AM

199 posts, read 369,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
We are easily on track for the highest murder rate per capita in the world. Six violent deaths just last weekend. No respect for human life from a large segment of the population. We still have corrupt cops and the "blue wall of silence" exists with a fury. It starts at the top, the nepotism, greed and expected luxuries (for unqualified people who really don't want to work) from government employment, and filters down to the kid from Anna's Retreat with a .357 magnum or an AK-47 looking to steal a gold necklace. Take it, steal it, no matter how you get it, you have a right to it. You're a "native Virgin Islander". The entitlement attitude is omnipresent. Where is the last Governor? The one before him? Both have taken up residence in the continental U.S. with occassional visits to the territory to pick up what scraps they can still obtain. Heck, Schneider was trying to get unlimited practice rights at the hospital recently by Legislative fiat. Makes you wonder what he had on Tony and the other legislators trying to push through the legislation that would've ended portions of the hospital's funding. And it was a published fact that he "settled" with the AG for $50,000 after the discovery of a missing $800,000 after he left office. And two Assistant AG's quit over the failure to prosecute.

All that said, I haven't had a problem here, but my neighbors take care of "issues" and there is an unwritten rule about messing with people on the North Side. A lot of people continue to leave this "container economy" that is ridiculously dependent on the U.S. for handouts that get diverted straight into someone's pocket. We thought the "new" Governor might change things, but that was unwarranted optimism. There are many, many good people in the USVI, but there is a large population of those with an entitlement attitude that you simply have to avoid and work around. I have seen many come and go, some more quickly than others. Many natives leave simply because if you can't get "in" the government and get padded for life, with free airfares, the SUV, gas and all the other perks, it is very, very difficult to get ahead.

With all its warts, its a great place, but an admittedly weird, wonderful and potentially dangerous place that causes nearly everyone to maintain an eye north to America just in case.

As a Virgin Islander that lives abroad I have to say your keystrokes are 100% Correct Mehson!!!!!!

Old 05-14-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post

Wonderful post! I'm a native living abroad also but I did not leave (in my time) because it was a bad place.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:22 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,810,019 times
I would assume that you left, as does the larger percentage of the populous, for better opportunities elsewhere. Better education. Better jobs (if you couldn't work for the Government, there isn't much more), lower housing costs, lower food costs, etc.

But that's just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories