U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2010, 08:23 PM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 7,074,467 times
Reputation: 1356

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
I would assume that you left, as does the larger percentage of the populous, for better opportunities elsewhere. Better education. Better jobs (if you couldn't work for the Government, there isn't much more), lower housing costs, lower food costs, etc.

But that's just the way it is.
Rock fever at age 17.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2010, 01:14 PM
 
1,451 posts, read 1,809,192 times
Reputation: 1708
Age 17 is the best time to get out of here. Danger and lack of opportunity lurks, and all kinds of opportunity for trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2010, 08:42 PM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 60,615,256 times
Reputation: 26569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Age 17 is the best time to get out of here. Danger and lack of opportunity lurks, and all kinds of opportunity for trouble.
Just curious but so many posts about living in the VI have had you responding "we" and "here" in an authoritative sense but my recollection is that you don't live here and have never lived here on a regular basis even though you may have visited here and maybe own property here? Just asking!

Taking swipes from the sidelines and coming out with such statements as that referenced above based on second hand knowledge and what you read as an outsider without doing further research is pretty lame.

I would never dare to judge all the places I've lived during my thus far long life because they've all changed so much over so many years. The USVI has been my home now for almost 26 years, I know it for better and for worse but I have to admit that when you pipe up with so many negatives akin to that you posted and which I quoted above, I'd like to rap you in the head verbally.

If you really cared a rat's patootie about anything at all connected with the USVI and its children and the education system then you would be putting your mouth where it might make a difference rather than throwing out mud designed to turn people off living here or visiting here. Shame on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2010, 07:33 AM
 
1,451 posts, read 1,809,192 times
Reputation: 1708
No. Shame on you, with all due respect, for potentially misleading people. Read again. I raised kids here. Would you like me to recite what is on your sign in front of your establishment today? I have to go to a memorial for a good friend out that way. Reread my comment. Two purported "bahn hees" supported it 100%. My wife is friends with Laverne Terry. I give Ms. Terry no more than another 18 months before she's outta here. Or didn't you understand the Teacher's Federation's demands to allow captial punishment by teachers in the schools? One teacher at Sibilly told my step grandson's class that "lobsters are poisonous and scaled fish should not be eaten." Seventh-Day malarky, and my son hauls fishpots for a living. I kinda expected you to pipe in with your rose coloured glasses. Shame on YOU. Now why don't you analyze what I said, and let people know precisely what is untrue. I met with DeJ and Greg Francis twice last year on various issues trying to help. They don't want help that might mean cutting back on entitlement, free SUV's, free gas, all the bennies for doing nothing, etc. Oh, and Cecille is a friend of the wife, as well.

The "system" here will never change. It's driven by entitlement. New players have come in with new and creative ways to scam the system without getting indicted or charged. The Gov is going for $250MM in loans that will simply get passed around the upper echelons of Government this election year to secure votes. I had more hope for DeJohngh, but he's cut from the same cloth as the rest of them. Too bad JJ Estemac won't run against someone.

And I NEVER bought property here, and I'm glad I didn't. We're paying the same rent we were paying in 1998 because the Frenchies don't want us to move. Donna CC is angling for an underhanded way to make all "non-native Virgin Islanders" pay the taxes for the "natives." Listen to her rhetoric. She carefully avoids taking a firm position for or against the VI Constitution as drafted by the idjits. It's carefully presented, but what is desired is a "special" status for the Territory that gets around that pesky U.S. Constitution.

And we only recently (as in the last two weeks) decided to start spending more time north of here and telecommuting some because of family and getting my son's family (grandkids) out of here. If we can swing it. Now, care to comment on the VI murder rate? It's sad when I can confidently say that the VI Deadly News will have a murder story in the Monday edition. A much safer bet than the VLT's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2010, 08:33 AM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 7,074,467 times
Reputation: 1356
Ok, now this has gotten interesting. My memory was just jogged and now I remember why the little tension here.

Maineac, I agree with some of the things you stated. I am sure you are aware that there was a huge rally from Market Square to Emancipation Garden yesterday. Clearly, people are fed up with the way things are when it comes to government and the crime. I would really like to believe that all is well in paradise but I know it is not. On the tourist level, they are still safe for the most part and violent crime against them, as far a I can tell, are rather rare. Often, their biggest complaint is about some attitude they get every now and again from locals.

The violent crime seems to be reserved for those who live there, notably amongst the youths who are part of gangs and/or waking around settling old beefs with guns. They are too busy killing each other to pay attention to tourists walking up and down Main Street. If it was just about them, I am sure some would pay no attention, BUT they are taking their gun fights to the streets (in some areas) and putting innocent people at risk. The other fear is burglary which can sometimes lead to something violent because this is where the bad elements come in contact with good people and will do anything to avoid being caught or retaliated against. This might mean they will kill to accomplish this.

The other problem is, St. Thomas (for example) is too small for this nonsense. In places like Jamaica (which I have visited many times), there are places where you can still hide and experience little problems. After all, the place is over 4,000 square miles compared to a mere 32 square miles on St. Thomas. These young "terrorists" often bump into each other at every turn and so gun cans be pulled just about every day.

All of this being said, the violence is not just isolated to the Virgin Islands. It's all over the Caribbean. This is what happens when our islands are used as drug transshipment sites AND our youths are buying into this materialistic crap they see on TV and find it far more satisfying to get as much bling as they can at all cost.

Now, I would not say that tourist need to avoid our islands. In fact, most will come and go and not be aware of what goes on in the "hot zones" on the islands just like they do when they go to NY, Miami, Jamaica or the Bahamas. They have no reason to go to Brownsville (Brooklyn), Overtown (Miami), Trenchtown (Jamaica) or areas of Nassau (Bahamas) and will be none the wiser of the dead bodies piling up. But, for those who make those areas home, life can be risky especially if you are a young boy/man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2010, 08:54 AM
 
1,451 posts, read 1,809,192 times
Reputation: 1708
Insane is spot on. My focus, though, is on the V.I. When I go to those other places, I remain very aware of my surroundings. The only thing I'd add is that the rally yesterday was apparently for a particular gubernatorial candidate desiring to discredit the current administration for political gain.

They're all playing up anything they can get their hands on against DeJohngh, no matter whether they created the problem (the legislators running for Governor) or not. It disturbs me to see Kenneth Mapp for Governor signs when his indictment was swept under the rug lo' those many years ago. Now, where'd that black jeep murder evidence go shortly after Hurricane Marilyn? Feds tell me its stored in a warehouse in Puerto Rico after they pulled it up from 140 feet of water near the South Drop. The barge didn't quite make it far enough offshore. God, eveyone knows about all the skeletons, all the injustice, the favoritism, the criminal and civil corruption. Did you know Kelsey Grammer's father was shot dead years ago for publishing the "wrong" article ("Frazier")? He was the newspaper editor many, many years ago. Grammer's mother still lives over by the Lagoon. Nobody was ever arrested.

AGAIN, for the naysayers, I love it here, but I want my grandkids somewhere else for education and learning morality (not in these schools, ma'm). And AGAIN, there are many, many beautiful people here. I loved going down for Food Fair and running into dozens and dozens of friends and getting the hugs and kisses from the old ladies. We have foxes tending the henhouse here, and it's not going to change. DeJongh was "hope and change" (actually, he stole Obama's caption). Nope. He's an entrenched vote panderer. Putting unqualified people in important positions. I could go on, but suffice it to say that the VI is a lovely place to live if you can afford it and know the ropes. We've NEVER had problems greater than lying cops giving out tickets because of skin colour. But now I've got the Chief on speeddial, that problem has ended. It's all a game.

Now, on tourism. No problems except for the occassional cruise ship passenger being accosted by Muzako (harmless) or worse some deranged person from Savan. They should be told not to venture further than Market Square west on Main St. I can walk around there unimpeded, but I worked in that area for a couple of years and know people. And some of my friends are bouncers in the local bars and other establishments.

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-17-2010 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: per request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2010, 09:46 AM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 7,074,467 times
Reputation: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Insane is spot on. My focus, though, is on the V.I. When I go to those other places, I remain very aware of my surroundings. The only thing I'd add is that the rally yesterday was apparently for a particular gubernatorial candidate desiring to discredit the current administration for political gain.

They're all playing up anything they can get their hands on against DeJohngh, no matter whether they created the problem (the legislators running for Governor) or not. It disturbs me to see Kenneth Mapp for Governor signs when his indictment was swept under the rug lo' those many years ago. Now, where'd that black jeep murder evidence go shortly after Hurricane Marilyn? Feds tell me its stored in a warehouse in Puerto Rico after they pulled it up from 140 feet of water near the South Drop. The barge didn't quite make it far enough offshore. God, eveyone knows about all the skeletons, all the injustice, the favoritism, the criminal and civil corruption. Did you know Kelsey Grammer's father was shot dead years ago for publishing the "wrong" article ("Frazier")? He was the newspaper editor many, many years ago. Grammer's mother still lives over by the Lagoon. Nobody was ever arrested.

AGAIN, for the naysayers, I love it here, but I want my grandkids somewhere else for education and learning morality (not in these schools, ma'm). And AGAIN, there are many, many beautiful people here. I loved going down for Food Fair and running into dozens and dozens of friends and getting the hugs and kisses from the old ladies. We have foxes tending the henhouse here, and it's not going to change. DeJongh was "hope and change" (actually, he stole Obama's caption). Nope. He's an entrenched vote panderer. Putting unqualified people in important positions. I could go on, but suffice it to say that the VI is a lovely place to live if you can afford it and know the ropes. We've NEVER had problems greater than lying cops giving out tickets because of skin colour. But now I've got the Chief on speeddial, that problem has ended. It's all a game.

Now, on tourism. No problems except for the occassional cruise ship passenger being accosted by Muzako (harmless) or worse some deranged person from Savan. They should be told not to venture further than Market Square west on Main St. I can walk around there unimpeded, but I worked in that area for a couple of years and know people. And some of my friends are bouncers in the local bars and other establishments.
Interesting. Guess I'll leave this alone than drag it on as most of the folks coming in here won't know what is being talked about. It's like a New Yorker taking about the incompetence of Governor Paterson to a tourist. The tourist is only concerned about sites/sights, souvenirs and shopping and it is about all he or she will get.

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-17-2010 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: orphaned content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2010, 11:02 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 60,615,256 times
Reputation: 26569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Would you like me to recite what is on your sign in front of your establishment today?
Which one ruffles you today - the one which says,"Warm Beer Awful Food" or the other side which reads, "Eat Here No Gas"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Interesting. Guess I'll leave this alone than drag it on as most of the folks coming in here won't know what is being talked about. It's like a New Yorker taking about the incompetence of Governor Paterson to a tourist. The tourist is only concerned about sites/sights, souvenirs and shopping and it is about all he or she will get.
You said it much better than I but this is the point I was trying to make and obviously didn't do a very good job of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2010, 11:20 AM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,732 posts, read 8,770,833 times
Reputation: 7139
I personally think that allowing internal self government was a bad choice for US territories. None of them are capable of it and they just elect same clowns over and over. It's almost like they want to be stuck in poverty and have high crime rates and everything else that goes along with electing a circus as your government.

Hopefully the 112th Congress will end internal self government and force a return to appointed governors and direct rule from Washington. Sorry guys, you had your chance and you blew it. They are embarrassing the nation with their antics and their little games, and its time that the nonsense stops.

Tulafono, Camacho, Fenty, Fitial, Fortuno, and de Jungh need to go back to middle school where they can play their silly games all they like. It's time for some competent leadership to take the reigns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2010, 02:33 PM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 7,074,467 times
Reputation: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I personally think that allowing internal self government was a bad choice for US territories. None of them are capable of it and they just elect same clowns over and over. It's almost like they want to be stuck in poverty and have high crime rates and everything else that goes along with electing a circus as your government.

Hopefully the 112th Congress will end internal self government and force a return to appointed governors and direct rule from Washington. Sorry guys, you had your chance and you blew it. They are embarrassing the nation with their antics and their little games, and its time that the nonsense stops.

Tulafono, Camacho, Fenty, Fitial, Fortuno, and de Jungh need to go back to middle school where they can play their silly games all they like. It's time for some competent leadership to take the reigns.
Here is where it gets tricky. The last time this happened (under the Naval Administration especially), the locals complained about men from a racially divided United States (where blacks were third class citizens) were trying to establish a similar setup in the V.I. I've predicted that the day may come when that might happen OR the day may come when the U.S, seeing no value in the islands in this day and age, might just cut us loose. History has shown we might do a VERY poor job if we left on our own and that is a sad commentary.

Not sure who such a thing would play out as some might see it as some kind of occupancy, but who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top