Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 02:37 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times

Advertisements

I have a series of questions concerning the US Virgin Islands. I would like some observations and statistics to put the issues into perspective. I have heard some conflicting comments about the USVI and I would just like it if someone put it into perspective...

#1 How developed economically are the USVI really? I have heard about how modern St. Thomas is and I have heard it described as a Third World country. Or it a 2nd world country, in the middle? Does economic development vary by island?

#2 How bad is violent crime in USVI? I have not found ANY statistics on the internet. Is it as bad as DC or Baltimore? Are there "no-go" areas? Which areas are such? Does it vary by island?

#3 What is the attitude towards continentals, especially whites from the US Mainland?

#4 I have not found anything about the political future of the islands. Is there an independence movement or a statehood movement? What about commonwealth status?

#5 What are the demographics of the USVI really like? if we were to simply lump everyone into the most common US Mainland categories...Non-hispanic white, black, hispanic, asian, mixed, other What would the ethnic/racial composition of the islands look like? What are they on each island? You see, the US census data overlaps Hispanics into other groups because the term "hispanic" is ethnic not racial...while this is true it does not paint a portrait for the general public...The only thing I understand about USVI demographics is that it is a black majority, with White minorities on St. John and Hispanic minorities on St. Croix. Can anyone put this into perspective?

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 04:16 AM

737 posts, read 2,586,818 times
Maybe start here https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/vq.html

Old 05-11-2009, 07:46 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times
The problem with those CIA stats is that altough over 16% of the population speaks Spanish, there is no mention of the percentage of Hispanic in the racial category. It appears to overlap with other racial groups. In terms of economics, there are so many different methods of measuring economic development...I am not an economists. Third, the CIA data does not break down by island.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:59 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
Why don't you just relax! and go there on a small vacation and make your own asumptions.

Remember what european means to you may mean something different in another country.

Most people who come here to America from the islands and other countries, find the American way of dividing people into colors, like red, yellow, black, brown and white is Non sensical!!

Most countries divide amoung ethnicities.

Remember a person of european ancestry like a irish race person is going to be different culturally who grew up in Virgin Islands, or Jamaica or America!! You will be very suprised!

Most distinctions come down between rich and poor! And most people have all kinds of relatives of all different levels of melanin in their skin. Some with high, some with low.

good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I have a series of questions concerning the US Virgin Islands. I would like some observations and statistics to put the issues into perspective. I have heard some conflicting comments about the USVI and I would just like it if someone put it into perspective...

#1 How developed economically are the USVI really? I have heard about how modern St. Thomas is and I have heard it described as a Third World country. Or it a 2nd world country, in the middle? Does economic development vary by island?

#2 How bad is violent crime in USVI? I have not found ANY statistics on the internet. Is it as bad as DC or Baltimore? Are there "no-go" areas? Which areas are such? Does it vary by island?

#3 What is the attitude towards continentals, especially whites from the US Mainland?

#4 I have not found anything about the political future of the islands. Is there an independence movement or a statehood movement? What about commonwealth status?

#5 What are the demographics of the USVI really like? if we were to simply lump everyone into the most common US Mainland categories...Non-hispanic white, black, hispanic, asian, mixed, other What would the ethnic/racial composition of the islands look like? What are they on each island? You see, the US census data overlaps Hispanics into other groups because the term "hispanic" is ethnic not racial...while this is true it does not paint a portrait for the general public...The only thing I understand about USVI demographics is that it is a black majority, with White minorities on St. John and Hispanic minorities on St. Croix. Can anyone put this into perspective?

Thank you very much.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:31 AM

345 posts, read 1,276,967 times
one of the newspapers i picked up a few years ago said the USVI has "one of the highest unsolved murder rates under the US flag" and it was "rivaling Chicago and New Orleans"

Old 05-12-2009, 05:28 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbanks101 View Post
one of the newspapers i picked up a few years ago said the USVI has "one of the highest unsolved murder rates under the US flag" and it was "rivaling Chicago and New Orleans"

You have any recent newspapers?

Old 05-12-2009, 06:03 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
lentzr: Why are you interested? Are you planning on relocating here or are you writing a research paper? Using published statistics as a base can so often lead to many misleading conclusions. For an overview and access to archived information you can access the Virgin Islands Daily News online at Virgin Islands, Virgin Islands Newspaper, A Pulitzer Prize Winning Newspaper, Virgin Islands Guide, Virgin Islands Info and we also have an excellent online newspaper called The Source which you can access at http://sts.onepaper.com.

Another source of information on living here in general is USVI Moving Center - The Ultimate Resource for Relocating to and Living in the Virgin Islands

As far as question #3, the attitude of locals towards newcomers is much less dependent on the color of skin or country of origin but more dependent on how the newcomer's attitude is towards locals and local mores.

Cheers!

Old 05-13-2009, 04:21 AM

42 posts, read 148,048 times
The only sure way for you to answer all of those questions honestly is to get on a plane and visit the US virgin Islands .. Oh and yes you are forgetting Water Island
Sauceress

Old 05-17-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
You have any recent newspapers?
so have they solved all the unsolved murders since i been gone, last year?

Old 05-17-2009, 06:16 AM

#3...

maybe thats why i discourage everyone from coming to the VI?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories