U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 05:14 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,033,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
Well, it certainly is not a valid excuse since it is obvious that no one is employing people to pick up litter. Dog carcasses will lay in the street for a week or more. Pretty much any street you travel on has unbelievable amounts of trash along the sides and even occasionally furniture. There is a fine on the books for littering but I wonder if it has ever been imposed.
Exceptions to this are high tourist areas, which do employ people to pick up litter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 07:08 PM

2,879 posts, read 3,417,327 times
Default Trash

I attribute the littering habit to a lack of education and concern for the environment. The local government does very little to raise awareness about protecting the environment. For example, as an island with limited "landfilling" capacity Puerto Rico should have an agressive/mandatory recycling program to limit the amount of material destined for burial in the few remaining landfill. To my knowledge, no program exists. If there is one, it is little enforced.

With no recycling program in place, the government is not obliged to raise awareness about environmental protection, ergo people's propensity to throw trash out of thier car window onto the street.

Surely, common sense would dictate that littering is senseless. But, as we all know, many people need to be lead by the hand and shown what to do step-by-step. Sad but true.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:36 AM

I see Ponce put up some new signs last week. Let's hope they have an effect!

Old 05-27-2009, 10:47 AM

19,594 posts, read 20,381,759 times
I certainly hope so. Did any signs get put up along the highway to Santa Isabel?

Old 06-03-2009, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 7,978 times
I have attended school in both the US and in Mexico. I remember being taught from an early age in the US not be a “litter bug”. We had activities and projects on how to save the earth and keep our oceans clean. In Mexico none of this was ever taught and actually we burned our trash once a week. (My family lives in the country).

I believe that if the PR government instilled programs in elementary schools, posted signs through out the island and had the media support anti-litter acts and showed the importance of keeping the island beautiful, future generations will become more conscious before littering. Anti-litter penalties should be enforced as well.

It is a long process and it’s not a sure proof resolution but at least it would be a step in the right direction.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
I have attended school in both the US and in Mexico. I remember being taught from an early age in the US not be a “litter bug”. We had activities and projects on how to save the earth and keep our oceans clean. In Mexico none of this was ever taught and actually we burned our trash once a week. (My family lives in the country).

I believe that if the PR government instilled programs in elementary schools, posted signs through out the island and had the media support anti-litter acts and showed the importance of keeping the island beautiful, future generations will become more conscious before littering. Anti-litter penalties should be enforced as well.

It is a long process and it’s not a sure proof resolution but at least it would be a step in the right direction.
I agree!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:17 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,308,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauceress View Post
Where do you live that there is NO LITTER/

New England states are pretty clean. Connecticut is one of the cleanest places I've ever seen. The same can be said about Vermont.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:20 AM

5,141 posts, read 7,127,155 times
No where in the world that I have travelled in has the litter or trash been as bad as PR. There are some roads you can always find a burned out car or 2 or 3 of them! I think the people just don't care.

I went to Guam for a week and the first day got a ride around the whole island. It was/is Beautiful! The people actually care about their island and where they live. Puerto Ricans need to visit there and see the difference, it is eye opening!

Old 04-21-2010, 09:23 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,800,399 times
Another resurrected thread. Check post dates. Sigh

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories