U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:47 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,031,523 times

Advertisements

Why do people in Puerto Rico throw their litter on the ground? It would be so pretty here if it weren't for the litter everywhere. Are the other islands in the Caribbean covered with litter also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 02:36 PM

5,806 posts, read 8,574,306 times
I've been to other islands in the Caribbean and yes, you will see litter there too. In fact, now that I think about it, I see litter everywhere I go, even in the U.S.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:16 PM

42 posts, read 139,109 times
Where do you live that there is NO LITTER/

Old 05-12-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauceress View Post
Where do you live that there is NO LITTER/
I have never said there was NO litter where I lived previously. I live in Puerto Rico, but previously lived in three states in the midwest and one eastern state. I have spent time in all the states, except Alaska, and I have never seen litter like this anywhere except in Mexico. I am just curious why it is socially acceptable to throw litter on the ground here. I guess they need a Lady Bird Johnson!

Old 05-12-2009, 06:27 AM

177 posts, read 882,820 times
Common people, you can't say that US mainland equals in the amount of trash on the streets as one that can be found in PR?! I agree that there are places in the mainland that are not very clean, but generally it is a pretty clean place.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:35 PM

8,750 posts, read 16,428,245 times
I would say that depending on where you are litter can be just as bad in the US as anywhere else. However, I have noticed a higher than normal amount of litter on the island, with my own family prime culprits. I asked " Why the hell are you leaving this garbage in the parking lot (of the mall)." To which they replied, "You should leave some trash around because that way it will keep people employed to clean up, otherwise, people won't have jobs." Interesting justification...they are probably right on some level, but it speaks volumes about the reality on the island. Instead of "creating" jobs through innovation or technology (for example), it is simply supply and demand: the more garbage on the streets, the more people they will have to hire to clean it up.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would say that depending on where you are litter can be just as bad in the US as anywhere else. However, I have noticed a higher than normal amount of litter on the island, with my own family prime culprits. I asked " Why the hell are you leaving this garbage in the parking lot (of the mall)." To which they replied, "You should leave some trash around because that way it will keep people employed to clean up, otherwise, people won't have jobs." Interesting justification...they are probably right on some level, but it speaks volumes about the reality on the island. Instead of "creating" jobs through innovation or technology (for example), it is simply supply and demand: the more garbage on the streets, the more people they will have to hire to clean it up.
I heard an English teacher say when she tried to get students to throw their trash in the trash containers the kids gave her the same response (it would take jobs from other people). I found it hard to believe but maybe that really is how some people here think??!!

Old 05-15-2009, 07:31 PM

2,365 posts, read 10,509,061 times
No! People use that excuse everywhere, even in Phila and Detroit and Oregon, places where I have all lived! People are just lazy and don't want to feel ashamed and so come up a lame excuse as to why they are lazy!

Remind them if people did not have to worry about cleaning up litter, they could be spending time planting flowers!!

And there is tons of garbage, trash and litter in PHiladelphia and Detroit and New York!!!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:48 PM

Well, it certainly is not a valid excuse since it is obvious that no one is employing people to pick up litter. Dog carcasses will lay in the street for a week or more. Pretty much any street you travel on has unbelievable amounts of trash along the sides and even occasionally furniture. There is a fine on the books for littering but I wonder if it has ever been imposed.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:54 PM

177 posts, read 882,820 times
Supposedly there is a law on the books about driving and talking on the cellphone. I see police officers driving and talking on their cellphones all the time

I don't care if people think that I am crazy. If there is litter on my way and a garbage can is within my line of sight, then I'll pick it up and do my part to remove some litter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories