U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 AM

24,672 posts, read 34,799,412 times

Advertisements

[quote=John McClane;9859646]My ancestors on both sides came to the U.S through Ellis Island so it is extremely unlikely that there any Africans in my family tree. I have absolutely no family ties to the colonial slave states of the South. And appearance wise I am the extreme opposite of what an African looks like since I have a prominant nose that can be confused for a "Jewish nose" or a "Roman nose", pale skin, and blue eyes.

Besides I know plenty of Whites who have small ears and they all have Caucasian shaped lips, nose, and hair texture just like me.

Will Smith has big ears and both of his parents are Black.[/quote]

True......but you have no idea whether or not Will's parents had any European ancestors..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 05:56 PM

251 posts, read 952,382 times
John McClane,

I have ancestors who came through Ellis Island Via the West Indies..so there are people of
African or Caribbean Roots who came to the US that way as well

A lot of people don't know that.....

Old 03-31-2013, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,956 times
Smile Wonderful sense of humor

You sound like your candidness is full of wonderful humor. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay26 View Post
That would be "translated" to: "If you're not the shizzle, then you're fo' shizzle". I think...

Meaning that most Puerto Rican people have some African ancestor. I'm very pale, but my maternal grandfather is an Afro Caribbean man. However, none of his kids (my mother and uncles) was born black. Since my grandmother had some Indian blood (she's pale, thought), my uncles looked more like "mestizos", while my mother is a mulatto; very white, but with curly hair, small ears, and a huge ass. I look just like that.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:07 PM

355 posts, read 617,381 times
Only Santeria and Voodoo could have resurrected a thread this old.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,148 times
What is the name of the product you can use to cramp a person by hitting or slopping them with your bare hand

Old 10-25-2015, 05:14 AM

39 posts, read 32,519 times
Santeria is here on the island but its more prevalent in the Cuban Community and the US does recognize it as a religion. Some in my own extended family believe in it but not me nor my mom or grandparents. I DO respect it and those who practice it

Old 04-20-2017, 03:08 AM

9 posts, read 4,503 times
If I shook my family tree there is no telling who would fall out.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:41 PM

506 posts, read 906,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
The town of Guayama is known as the mecca of "los brujos." In addtion, Santeria evolved into part of the local culture since western Africans were brought over as slaves. However, given Puerto Rico's assimilation to U.S. mainland culture, Santeria is less visible in PR than what it appears to be in Cuba's local culture.

Nonetheless, here's to you in the language of Lucumi..."imbele suyu cu m mare."

As it is said in PR, "el que no tiene Dinka, tiene Mandinka!" But that's a whole other story.

Santeria came full blast to Puerto Rico when Cubans arrived fleeing the Cuban Revolution. Before 1959 what was prevalent on the island was SPIRITUALISM, which came from Europe in the XIX where it was in vogue.

Yes there was some some African influence in areas populated by blacks in Loiza and Guayama, but this was negligible in terms to the rest of the island. Why? different from Cuba , where the black population numbered 52% vs. 12% in Puerto Rico, it obvious why African religions never took a hold.

These numbers are new, mostly to those Puerto Ricans living in the states which are highly influenced by African Americans. In fact in a recent DNA study, Puerto Ricans have more Taino blood than African, 52% vs. 13%.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:55 PM

11,049 posts, read 4,072,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
Santeria came full blast to Puerto Rico when Cubans arrived fleeing the Cuban Revolution. Before 1959 what was prevalent on the island was SPIRITUALISM, which came from Europe in the XIX where it was in vogue.

Yes there was some some African influence in areas populated by blacks in Loiza and Guayama, but this was negligible in terms to the rest of the island. Why? different from Cuba , where the black population numbered 52% vs. 12% in Puerto Rico, it obvious why African religions never took a hold.

These numbers are new, mostly to those Puerto Ricans living in the states which are highly influenced by African Americans. In fact in a recent DNA study, Puerto Ricans have more Taino blood than African, 52% vs. 13%.

Dominicans practice that too and they came by larger numbers to Puerto Rico than Cubans.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:17 PM

368 posts, read 300,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post

Where do you get your info from???

52? 12? lmao

For the 52% figure, yes about 50% of BOTH Cubans & Puerto Ricans have large amounts of black african ancestry. About half of the people in both groups are gentically black or heavily mixed wit it.

For the 12% figure, yes 12% of people in Puerto Rico self identify solely as black. Compare to 9% of people in Cuba self identifying solely as black.

The DNA of the Average Puerto Rican person do not have far more Taino ancestry than african, its about even, sometimes more african. In PR & DR, the black & white populations were just more integrated compared to Cuba, which was like Haiti & Argentina in one island. Afro-Cubans are just the most culturally African black people outside of Africa, second only to the Haitians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories