U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:10 PM

4,476 posts, read 8,632,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
manhattan, brooklyn, the bronx, and staten island...........
Oh cool. I'm from The Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 08:05 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,437,003 times
If Puerto Rico is so great why are most Puerto Ricans living in NYC and Orlando?...lol. Its the same thing I tell folks from Europe who like to hype up places like Italy, if its so great go live there..lol

Old 06-01-2009, 08:18 PM

2,879 posts, read 3,418,037 times
CleanCutHippie stated..."if its so great go live there..lol"

Buddy, that's the plan within 6 to 8 years upon retirement!!!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:46 PM

4,476 posts, read 8,632,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
If Puerto Rico is so great why are most Puerto Ricans living in NYC and Orlando?...lol. Its the same thing I tell folks from Europe who like to hype up places like Italy, if its so great go live there..lol
I like Puerto Rico and all but I do not think it is the best country. Nobody does it like NYC. NYC is the best city of the world.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 7,979 times
I just came back from Puerto Rico and fell in love. I am currently planning a move to the island and get away from the rat race called Los Angeles. Even with the recession PR is going thru I know that it has to be better than being a robot and working in a city where the only thing close to paradise a clear freeway at 6pm.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:47 PM

543 posts, read 894,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
QFT!

I lived there most of my life and although is one of the most beautiful places in the world (sorry, but I cannot find beaches more beautiful than the ones from PR), it is also one of the worst to live in. The quality of life is terrible; tons of domestic violence (at least every two weeks a young woman is killed by her spouse, ex spouse or partner), crime, at least three murders a day, corruption, and tons of old people who still thinks this crappy status (free association) is awesome. I mean the free association crap wins by a short margin over statehood (say 46% versus 45.7% as an example) is all because of all those old farts who aren't in a hurry to die anytime soon. Younger people don't like voting, and it gets on my nerves!

Free association is bull crap. The biggest lie ever told to mankind. I prefer PR to be either state 51 or a totally independent country. PR has a very substantial liquor industry that, if more investors put more money on it, could be the motor of a very powerful economy. The real problem? Destruction of agriculture; most lands destined for agriculture are being used to build more useless houses.

These days I live in Norfolk, Virginia. Since I grew up, partly, in North Carolina, living in here feels familiar to me.

Something I do like from Puerto Rico? People from the countryside, are super kind. Maybe that's why I like the south so much; people are so nice and so kind in here.

Why people from San Juan and most metropolitan cities are so acid? For the same reason people from NYC; big cities are rotten places that makes you cranky.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Hmm, I thought PR is underrated. Had always heard bad thigns about it but when I actually went, I loved it. the women were beautiful, the nightlife fun, the food good, and the sun hot. traffic in san juan was a nightmare but we stayed in old san juan and walked/cabbed it everywhere. there are a lot of dominicans immigrating to PR, at least it seemed that way in San Juan.
Oh, that's nothing. You haven't been in Mayaguez!

Old 07-02-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andlw2004 View Post
I lived there for 2 years and that was definately enough. Maybe it would be nice for a vacation but I was not impressed with the island. People talk about the rainforest and I thought it was just another forest and there was absolutely nothing extrodinary about it. Living there I did find out though that most people that live there will never leave and they feel that PR is just the best place on earth.
Excuse sir or madam, but that's one of the many reason of why I moved from that crappy island I lived most of my life. The same thing for my hubby.

The Yunque is soooooooooooooooooo overrated. Period.

Rio Abajo might be smaller, but I liked it better.

Most Puerto Ricans aren't that proud of PR; only if we have another Miss Universe or another brainless boxing champion the get all "nationalist". Most of them would rather watch the NBA, MLB, the NFL, or anything that airs on MTV. Puerto Rican TV is so crappy.

Puerto Rico is the home of the worst music in the world: REGGAETON!!!!!
I hate that awful thing. Is not even music!
:h amd:

There are tons of other things I love about my island; beaches, countryside, mountains, tipical music, food, my family, universities, etc. But the things mentioned before? No. Sorry.

Last edited by Sunscape; 08-24-2014 at 05:20 AM..

Old 07-02-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I like Puerto Rico and all but I do not think it is the best country. Nobody does it like NYC. NYC is the best city of the world.
If you're a cold heart person, of course NYC is the best place to live.
Is a great place to visit, but I would never live there!!!
I like warm, friendly people. That's why I love the south; I live in Virginia.

BTW, are you a Newyorican?!

Please, stop embarrassing the rest of Puerto Ricans, ok. We really don't care if you have ten flags in your car; that doesn't make you more Puerto Rican. Listening to reggaeton doesn't make you more Puerto Rican; just more trashy.

If you aren't one of those, sorry. If that's the case, you may even empathize with me.

But EVERY SINGLE NEWYORICAN I KNOW IS LIKE THAT.

Last edited by Sunscape; 08-24-2014 at 05:19 AM..

Old 11-06-2009, 12:56 PM

12 posts, read 48,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
When I landed back in Chicago, this latina friend of mine said that Puerto Ricans always talk up Puerto Rico to make is sound bigger and better than it really is. Is this true? Would the Dominican Repulbic be better to visit? What do you think?

I can say this about every country out there including the states. Everyone talks it up from where they are from, or they will talk it down. Take it with a grain of salt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories