U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:45 PM

2,930 posts, read 6,334,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
PUERTO RICANS NEWYORRICANS. Newyorrican culture is closer to African-American culture than Puerto Rican culture.
Yes I have noticed both cultures are very different. Puerto Ricans from the island are one of the most, if not the most educated Latin Americans I have met. The ones born in the USA just have a different mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 02:51 PM

543 posts, read 893,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Yes I have noticed both cultures are very different. Puerto Ricans from the island are one of the most, if not the most educated Latin Americans I have met. The ones born in the USA just have a different mindset.
QFT!

I am Puerto Rican, from the island, and I'm a very classy and polite person, who at the same time enjoys classic rock and old heavy metal. If it wasn't i make sure to tell people about my origin, nobody would believe me.

The ones from the actual Puerto Rico are completely different to the wannabe Puerto Ricans from the continental states.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:37 PM

758 posts, read 2,002,923 times
Thumbs up We love to blame someone else.

Quote:
\
Congress likes the status quo. They can give independence to PR unilaterally, but if they do, they will be a backlash from PRicans in the US and that will be political suicide. If PR became a state, it would be a money drain for the US Treasury. The Democrats are the only ones that might give PR Statehood, since that will mean another 6 Democrat Representatives and 2 Senators in Congress and they really don't care about raising taxes and spending taxpayer's money as long as they can buy some votes.

Political Suicide? It's Puertoricans, not Mexicans or Cubans. PRcans don't have much political clout outside the tristate area. A couple of congressmen from the new york/new jersey area (many democrats, fyi) and maybe some parts of florida may be affected, but the rest of the house and senate doesn't care. Please connect me to an official position from any member of the U.S. house or senate that state anything other than allowing the island to determine it's own future?
It would be shameful for any politican to say otherwise. Pricans have died in every single U.S. war since the island's been under U.S. control. Not only that, but Bush came out and supported statehood for PR if it so chose. So it's not just your heroic 'democrats'

PR is already a drain on the U.S. Treasury. You see all the heroin addicts walkin around? They all get a welfare check. Might do us some good if we got real federal funding for schools so that when these kids grow up, they don't drain the U.S. treasury indefinitely.

Ultimately, the blame lies entirely on the island. There's a legitimate fear of diluting 500 yrs of rich history by joining a nation with a completely different language and a perceived different culture. There's a fear that the island won't longer have another miss universe contestant, or a basketball team in the olympics. The status quo gives the people on the island enough feeling of sovereignty without the burden of being an independent nation and having to fend for yourself. Which is why we remain a commonwealth... a self-perpetuating COLONY if u will.

Last edited by joelaldo; 11-20-2009 at 12:59 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 01:38 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,798,830 times
I don't know if you remember the Congressional hearings on PR status back in 1993. Basically, the three major parties submitted proposals to Congress for independence, improved commonwealth, and statehood. Almost everything that the PIP wanted for independence was accepted. Congress knew that independence would never win in a plebiscite, so no need to argue. About half of the stuff that the PPD wanted was accepted. A LOT of stuff that the PNP wanted was rejected. Like keeping the 936 tax credits, keeping Spanish as the main official language, keeping separate national teams, etc... And that happened in a Democrat Congress, so you can't blame the Republicans for that.

Puerto Ricans don't have the mentality to become a state. If you ask 90% of the Puerto Ricans what their country is, they will say PR, not USA.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:55 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,031,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
SNIP There's a fear that the island won't longer have another miss universe contestant, or a basketball team in the olympics. SNIP
Everytime I hear this I don't know whether to laugh or cry but I have actually heard many people state this as a reason not to become a state.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:01 PM

1,772 posts, read 4,072,424 times
Strip away their US citizenship and see how fast they pledge allegiance with an impeccable English it would make a British tear up. But it is of no consequence. People will continue to live under mediocre life expectations down there and the dole will continue to get handed out so a couple of rich folk down there can maintain their status for the nominal price of "managing" the idiot masses. As much as I don't see the Congress doing anything towards PR becoming a state, I really don't see them doing anything to precipitate the kind of political change that would force Puerto Ricans out of the self-appointed colonial status either. They could care less.

Brain drain is still advantageous to the mainland in aggregate, so the opportunity cost of maintaining a bunch of dumb uneducated culturally-worried anti-American American citizens (<--- you can't make that stuff up) is still of probative value to the CONUS. Which is why PR is a great place to visit, proceeded by getting the hell out after a month of course.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:46 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,518,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've never been to Puerto Rico, but I have been to the Dominican Republican - and LOVED it.

I never heard of anyone saying a person should go to Puerto Rico. Usually the opposite, go somewhere else in the Carribbean. Never heard anyone say the Dominican Republic either.

Don't know, but I use to live in New York City and I'm white. I always felt the Dominicans were cooler and easier to be around. I use to live in Washington Heights for awhile, and later made a move to Williamsburg in Brooklyn.

When I was in Williamsburg, and granted there were young euro hipsters all over the place...but I could always feel the tension being white - my neighborhood was actually south of the hip area fairly planted into Puerto Rican Williamsburg.

I never felt that kind of tension in Washington Heights among Dominicans.

I still don't know if that was hipster-dom encroaching on their hood...OR, my other theory is that Puerto Ricans had been in NYC pre-Civil Rights era, so their is some anti-white sentiment to some degree because people from 'back in the day' before blacks had more rights, and darker-skinned Puerto Ricans were somehow labeled as 'black' or who knows what.

Anyways, no matter the racial dynamics on the American front, generally in my experience, when you are in the home turf, people there never dealt with the historical bizarre race relations of America, and are generally more cool in general.

ANYWAYS, Dominican Republic was REALLY cool to me, loved it. I'd imagine Puerto Rico is certainly worth the trip, although I'm the same as I've never received encouragement to go, usually the opposite, that I shouldn't go.
PUERTO RICANS are by nature, one of the most gregarious and friendly people in this earth, and helpful. In fact, some maybe too friendly.

What you have experienced in the Williamsburg area of Brooklyn, NY, had more to do with the gentrification process, of certain groups of people coming out of the State into lower/middle class areas and uprotting everyone out of it.

Are you aware of the fact that because NYC has a shortage of affordable housing those people living there can never move out, because there are no other places to rent. And yes, when there is an apartment for rent, there are a multitude of people on line to get it. Many people sublet their apartments, in the hope that if they need to go back into it, it is available

They were seeing you as part of the problem...........nothing more, nothing less.........

Old 11-22-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I don't know if you remember the Congressional hearings on PR status back in 1993. Basically, the three major parties submitted proposals to Congress for independence, improved commonwealth, and statehood. Almost everything that the PIP wanted for independence was accepted. Congress knew that independence would never win in a plebiscite, so no need to argue. About half of the stuff that the PPD wanted was accepted. A LOT of stuff that the PNP wanted was rejected. Like keeping the 936 tax credits, keeping Spanish as the main official language, keeping separate national teams, etc... And that happened in a Democrat Congress, so you can't blame the Republicans for that.

Puerto Ricans don't have the mentality to become a state. If you ask 90% of the Puerto Ricans what their country is, they will say PR, not USA.
"Puerto Ricans do not have the mentality.............." I hope you are not referring to lack of education here, because many of them are very- well educated. We just sent one of our own to the US Supreme Court.

I often wonder whether if you asked any of the other countries affiliated with the USA, whether they will answer the same way. This is by no means an anti-USA issue, most people will automatically refer to themselves first as Puerto Ricans. It is an answer derive out of pride, for their country, more than anything else.

Now, if you ask a NYC born or raised Puerto Rican, the same question, he/she will say he is a Nuyorican, or a Hispanic-American, Latino-American, etc. Simple, the ones born and raised in Puerto Rico, see themselves as Puerto Rican, first, Americans second.

Nothing to do with Anti-Americanism, unless they are for the Independence Party.............

Old 11-22-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
The only reason for that is one of ECONOMICS. Because some of them have been forced to live among the poor Blacks, they have adopted the culture and lingo of them, and this particular group has been their role model, of what life in America is like. And also because in the past 15 years, Blacks have been in the forefront of American Entertainment, Music, and Sports. So it stands to reason, that if you live with a group that speaks your language, and is in the forefront of American News, one is going to emulate that particular group.

The fact that most Nuyoricans speak ONLY English, makes them have something in common with the Black group. Language UNITES people.

But, the ones that have been brought up among the White groups, identify themselves with the Language, lingo, and customs of the White race.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:28 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,798,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
"Puerto Ricans do not have the mentality.............." I hope you are not referring to lack of education here, because many of them are very- well educated. We just sent one of our own to the US Supreme Court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mentality
Noun

Singular
mentality

Plural
mentalities

mentality (plural mentalities)
  1. A mindset; a way of thinking.
Mentality has nothing to do with lack of education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
I often wonder whether if you asked any of the other countries affiliated with the USA, whether they will answer the same way. This is by no means an anti-USA issue, most people will automatically refer to themselves first as Puerto Ricans. It is an answer derive out of pride, for their country, more than anything else.

Now, if you ask a NYC born or raised Puerto Rican, the same question, he/she will say he is a Nuyorican, or a Hispanic-American, Latino-American, etc. Simple, the ones born and raised in Puerto Rico, see themselves as Puerto Rican, first, Americans second.

Nothing to do with Anti-Americanism, unless they are for the Independence Party.............
I'm pretty sure that if I ask a NY born and raised Puerto Rican in what country they were born and in what country do they live, the answer will be USA. If you ask the same question to someone born and raised in Texas, Georgia, California, etc., the answer will still be USA. Now, ask someone born and raised in PR the same question and the answer won't be USA, it will be Puerto Rico. Even though everyone in PR knows that PR is a US territory, Puerto Ricans see themselves as living in a separate country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories