U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:26 PM

170 posts, read 699,594 times

Advertisements

"Newyorrican culture is closer to African-American culture than Puerto Rican culture."

It is so funny this statement was made because as a black man from The Bronx New York (born and raised) I've always felt that way. Funny thing is, Puerto Ricans AND Dominicans for some reason have alwayyyssssss thought I was latino (I guess its because of the light skin and the curly hair, I dunno). Growing up in High School (went to Catholic school right on the Grand Concourse) there was always a battle with Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and then the blacks. What was so strange was that each "race" (if thats what you want to call it) alllll used the "N" word freely. I grew up thinking to myself "Oh, I guess its cool for Puerto Ricans and Dominicans to say the "N" word because they a) recognize that their ancestors are from Africa and or b) there culture is closer to African Americans. I can clearly remember being made to pick which race I was in High School. Weird huh? One year I was Puerto Rican and then the next year I was Dominican! I didn't care I guess, I just wanted to fit in and since everyone assumed I was latino, I went right along with it lol lol lol lol. (*wondering if my daddy is really the daddy who says he is....betta ask momma huh? lol *)

Anywho I digress.

I became a flight attendant years ago and made a B line down to Puerto Rico to see what everything was all about. I actually loved it. I wanted to move there soooooooo badly however I did notice a few things: Crime, Crime and MORE CRIME!!!!! Now I am from the South Bronx where crime was all over the place back in the 80's and 90's (yall New Yorkers remember when "crack" first hit the streets, it was a drug war on every corner.......ewwwwww) But back to the story at hand, I could not stand waiting in line in Puerto Rico at the local Wendy's (and I was speaking my spanglish very well I might add) and she took 10 minutes to take my order and 30 minutes just to give me a burger. Talk about slow!!!!! I called my grandmother (who is from St. Thomas Virgin Islands) and she told me "Child, thats just how it is. Thats what you call Island living".

Needless to say, I loved the comida criolla, loved the parties (this is before I got saved and became Apostolic Pentecostal...I dont party any more), loved that huge mall "Plaza" (Plaza Las Americas), ohhhhhhhh and I had the nerve to go down there and get on the bus. WRONG DECISION. Imagine me, a New York City boy thinking every bus and train line was like new York, yeah right! It was packed, it was wild, and I thought I'd loose my mind every time someone cut in front of the bus to speed ahead.

Beaches, I loved the beaches. I'd just go down to PR on my days off and lay out on the beach. Loved the fact that they were really religious (especially the Pentecostal Church which there are like 1,000,000 Pentecostal church's on the island.....funny huh). Loved Truillo Alto, loved Carolina, loved Old San Juan, I actually liked luquillo Beaches, loved Hato Rey, oh and I loved the University if Puerto Rico in Rio Piedras. I saw allllllllllllllll of these places on public transportation so I know what I'm talking about here.

I know things have changed and I have not gone down there in some years to visit (was down there a few times last year taking flights over to Grenada and some other Dominican cities in the Dominican Republic). It was an experience I FORCED myself to have because I really needed to see the difference between these "nuyorican" and the real deal (and granted, all them Puerto Ricans in New York have NOT I repeat have NOT stepped foot on that Island they hold so near and dear to there hearts. I probably know more Spanish than them too).

Ok, hope you ejoyed my TRUE story. Have fun and go with your gut feeling. Just remember to BE CAREFUL and vaya con dios because you will need the Lord if you are going down there in some parts of Puerto Rico. (smile)

**I think my next stop just might be either the Dominican Republic or Saint Thomas....I dunno**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 12:12 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,800,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr House View Post
I love my island and wouldn't change it for anything.
Care to explain why your location is listed as Seattle, Washington?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mje173 View Post
The infrastructure, in the heart of the most improtant city of the most important country of the world, is horrid. Beyond reproach. Weater heaters suck, and break down. The heating ventilation can also break down whenever.
Why are water heaters and heating and ventilation the government's fault? That's like saying that the infrastructure in PR is bad because I don't have central A/C in my house.

Quote:
Cable TV and internet are under monopoly, so you're screwed with Time Warner and crappy service. The trains are always late, so are buses.
Breaking news! Cable and phone service are also a monopoly in PR! And I'm pretty sure that the AMA buses run on time in San Juan. Yeah, right!

Quote:
Health Care in PR used to be better in 1990 than what it is today thanks to some pro-statehood jerk governor who wanted to do something funny to it and ended up bankrupt, but also better (and public-private) than what it is today in the States.
Healthcare is way better in the US. However, it is way more affordable in PR. I'd call this a tie.

Quote:
Public Education has a bad rap back home, because students can't be searched when they go inside. So people with weapons and drugs get in, and then can cause problems. That's easily fixable. Either way, the resources are there for those who need and use it. Not so in the states, unless you live in places like Orange Country, or in rich neighborhoods in the states.
Are you serious? Public education in PR SUCKS and it has nothing to do with weapons searches. The graduation rate is low and few students continue on to higher education. That's why most people in PR that can afford it, send their kids to private schools. I live in PA, in a blue collar town and can tell you that the public schools here are way better than in PR, and they don't have metal detectors.

Quote:
Police seems great, where there is no crime. Where there is crime, police sucks. In PR, we have a lot of crime, but crime tends to affect only those involved.
Read the news. It used to be that way. Now, kids are spraying walls of lead at random, whoever is in the way goes down. If they want to kill a rival gang member, they don't care who is around, they don't care if there are children or women present. Last week a man that was changing a tire in Guaynabo was killed and his car taken. A couple of days ago, a woman in Cidra was buying pizza when she was killed in a drive-by and 3 friends of her injured (they were trying to kill a gang member that was around). A few months ago, a baby was killed and his mother injured when someone tried to get his father.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:59 PM

191 posts, read 236,162 times
Puerto Rico is not overrated at all. I would try to visit the islands of Vieques and Culebra. Apart from that I would strongly recommend the Cabo Rojo area, I was there for a little over 8 months, and it was quite the experience. If you can pull it off, it would be interesting to stay at different places rather than having a "home base", but thats just me.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:29 PM

135 posts, read 467,968 times
I love Puerto Rico. The countryside preferrably. My father lives there. I might decide to raise my children there because I enjoy the people, the mountains and cleaner air (live in New York right now), and overall the way of life and culture and the fact that I have tons of family there. But it is not for everyone, you either love it or hate it. My kids will walk to their school and back, and have lots of family, neighbors and friends to keep watch on them. But of course if it is not a culture or way of life you are accustomed to, then it is not what you would see as paradise. Paradise is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:42 PM

4,476 posts, read 8,632,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepawsinn View Post
I love Puerto Rico. The countryside preferrably. My father lives there. I might decide to raise my children there because I enjoy the people, the mountains and cleaner air (live in New York right now), and overall the way of life and culture and the fact that I have tons of family there. But it is not for everyone, you either love it or hate it. My kids will walk to their school and back, and have lots of family, neighbors and friends to keep watch on them. But of course if it is not a culture or way of life you are accustomed to, then it is not what you would see as paradise. Paradise is in the eye of the beholder.
Puerto Rico is good only if you have money and a good job, because right now PR is not going anywhere. There's a lot of crime going on more than in NY. And is hard to get a job if you Many people from PR are moving to US at all times because of this. And the bad economy of the US is not helping PR at all.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:28 PM

35 posts, read 62,604 times
^^^^ I strongly disagree. Puerto Rico is very nice all around whether you have a good job or an average job or a "crappy" job (no job is really crappy, its honorable to work in anything, is why I put the quotes).

NY has about the lowest crime rate from any city, so I dont know if having higher crime than NY is a big deal. The crime in PR only affects those involved, the criminals in the drug business. Other than among criminals themselves in drugs and such, the crime rate is pretty low and nonviolent. I have lived here for a long time and was mugged once when I was a teenager, nonviolent, simply give me your money or else, I didnt see a weapon, I gave my $40.00, I was somewhere I didnt know, and later realized I was next to a public housing project, so it couldve happened in the US too. I have a relative in the US who was carjacked, through the use of force, so I would say, for my family, the crime is worse in the US.
The economy here is perfectly fine. Among the best in the world if youd call it its own coutnry, but comparing it to the US, which is the richest country, or one of the top 3 richest countries, then of course its not that good, and of course, comparing it to the nice areas in the US, cause its certainly better economy here than in the ghettos and small towns in the US. But compare it to the prime areas in the largest cities, where all the headquarters for international companies are and where the CEOs live, then yeah, obviously no place on earth is as good as that, like some areas in Manhattan, etc...

Old 03-17-2010, 12:30 PM

35 posts, read 62,604 times
Puerto RIco is not overrated. If anything it is underrated. Puerto Rico is nice.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:58 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,537,500 times
Overall no, it is not overrated. A few parts & aspects of the island are though! I feel that PR for the most part is actually underrated! Overall it's a very beautiful island! Que viva PR!

Old 08-21-2014, 09:50 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,188,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notepad View Post
^^^^ I strongly disagree. Puerto Rico is very nice all around whether you have a good job or an average job or a "crappy" job (no job is really crappy, its honorable to work in anything, is why I put the quotes).

NY has about the lowest crime rate from any city, so I dont know if having higher crime than NY is a big deal. The crime in PR only affects those involved, the criminals in the drug business. Other than among criminals themselves in drugs and such, the crime rate is pretty low and nonviolent. I have lived here for a long time and was mugged once when I was a teenager, nonviolent, simply give me your money or else, I didnt see a weapon, I gave my $40.00, I was somewhere I didnt know, and later realized I was next to a public housing project, so it couldve happened in the US too. I have a relative in the US who was carjacked, through the use of force, so I would say, for my family, the crime is worse in the US.
The economy here is perfectly fine. Among the best in the world if youd call it its own coutnry, but comparing it to the US, which is the richest country, or one of the top 3 richest countries, then of course its not that good, and of course, comparing it to the nice areas in the US, cause its certainly better economy here than in the ghettos and small towns in the US. But compare it to the prime areas in the largest cities, where all the headquarters for international companies are and where the CEOs live, then yeah, obviously no place on earth is as good as that, like some areas in Manhattan, etc...
I agree with your crime analysis but not your comment on the economy. The economy in PR is not good at all. PR has one of the worst bond rating out of any country. Look at the electric problems going on. http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/new...college-grads/

Old 08-21-2014, 01:51 PM

13 posts, read 15,126 times
Underrated IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories