U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 09:27 AM

3,047 posts, read 8,270,935 times

Advertisements

On my way back from Miami I sat next to a man from Puerto Rico who talked it up and how I should visit it for my next trip. He said the women are gorgeous but if they see you even glance at another woman, they will go for the jugular. When I was in the keys, a puerto rican girl was talking about the island as well. When I landed back in Chicago, this latina friend of mine said that Puerto Ricans always talk up Puerto Rico to make is sound bigger and better than it really is. Is this true? Would the Dominican Repulbic be better to visit? What do you think?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 09:39 AM

10,029 posts, read 14,489,198 times
Hmm, I thought PR is underrated. Had always heard bad thigns about it but when I actually went, I loved it. the women were beautiful, the nightlife fun, the food good, and the sun hot. traffic in san juan was a nightmare but we stayed in old san juan and walked/cabbed it everywhere. there are a lot of dominicans immigrating to PR, at least it seemed that way in San Juan.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:32 PM

4,476 posts, read 8,630,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
On my way back from Miami I sat next to a man from Puerto Rico who talked it up and how I should visit it for my next trip. He said the women are gorgeous but if they see you even glance at another woman, they will go for the jugular. When I was in the keys, a puerto rican girl was talking about the island as well. When I landed back in Chicago, this latina friend of mine said that Puerto Ricans always talk up Puerto Rico to make is sound bigger and better than it really is. Is this true? Would the Dominican Repulbic be better to visit? What do you think?
Lol that is true. It is because Puerto Ricans are very proud of PR, it is just like New Yorkers lol. I think Dominican Republic will be better. The currency of PR is US dollars. 1 US dollar in Dominican Republic is like 20 dollars in DR. So imagine the fun that you are going to have if you go to Dominican Republic.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:58 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,032,905 times
I am sure you could have a nice vacation in PR. There are interesting and pretty places to see (rainforest, beaches, old San Juan, Tibes, etc.). I'm sure DR has neat places as well (doesn't everywhere?)but since I haven't been there, I can't say which would be better. So much depends on personal preferences . . .

Old 05-27-2009, 07:34 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,519,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
What I am picking up in the interactional process of these individuals with whom the OP spoke to, is not bigger or better, but more a question of PRIDE! Puerto Ricans, like Mexicans and the Domenican Republic, are extremely proud people, and very, very, overly-protective of their countries. Most people are protective of their states or countries, but they overly-exaggerated a little more. Maybe because they are very passionate, warm, and loving people!

The Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico, are both, beautiful countries with lovely beaches, with the exception that Puerto Rico being an American territory, may be much easier for you to find people that speak English.

And Puerto Rico maybe a little more progressive, with lots of malls, shopping centers, and restaurants.

My two daughters and I, left my husband in NYC, and flew to Puerto Rico to the Isla Verde section, off San Juan, what it is called "Carolina," and rented a Condominium, in two very- tall buildings called the "San Juan Towers," for a week. We partied almost 24/7, and when we came back to NYC, we needed a vacation!!!!

If you are looking for fun, in both, you will have a BLAST!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:37 AM

4,476 posts, read 8,630,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
What I am picking up in the interactional process of these individuals with whom the OP spoke to, is not bigger or better, but more a question of PRIDE! Puerto Ricans, like Mexicans and the Domenican Republic, are extremely proud people, and very, very, overly-protective of their countries. Most people are protective of their states or countries, but they overly-exaggerated a little more. Maybe because they are very passionate, warm, and loving people!

The Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico, are both, beautiful countries with lovely beaches, with the exception that Puerto Rico being an American territory, may be much easier for you to find people that speak English.

And Puerto Rico maybe a little more progressive, with lots of malls, shopping centers, and restaurants.

My two daughters and I, left my husband in NYC, and flew to Puerto Rico to the Isla Verde section, off San Juan, what it is called "Carolina," and rented a Condominium, in two very- tall buildings called the "San Juan Towers," for a week. We partied almost 24/7, and when we came back to NYC, we needed a vacation!!!!

If you are looking for fun, in both, you will have a BLAST!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy.
What part of NYC are you from, If I may ask?

Old 05-28-2009, 04:33 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,641,599 times
Making that choice I would take PR over the DR any time. Purely my personal opinion but when I went over to the DR I vowed never to go back there. The disparity between the haves and the have-nots is huge, and the majority of visitors stay in gated A-I compounds and rarely get to see the "real" DR except for a few of the tourist sights to which they're herded with a chaperone in tow.

In PR there's so much to do and see and you've got the option of the hustle and bustle of the San Juan metropolis with its clubs, restaurants and nightlife and much quieter areas outside of that.

If I were you I would read up on both before coming to any decision - or go to both and make your own comparison. Cheers!

Old 05-28-2009, 10:50 AM

37 posts, read 192,729 times
I lived there for 2 years and that was definately enough. Maybe it would be nice for a vacation but I was not impressed with the island. People talk about the rainforest and I thought it was just another forest and there was absolutely nothing extrodinary about it. Living there I did find out though that most people that live there will never leave and they feel that PR is just the best place on earth.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:38 AM

5,824 posts, read 8,586,697 times
They are both very nice destinations, but which one is better for you depends on your personality and your level of adventure.

To me, PR appears to give the impression that its in the twilight. It feels as if you are in another country and yet, at the same time, it feels like the US. Its exotic and familiar all at once. In many respects, the impression PR gives off is pretty much what it is. Its an island-nation that is part of the US and not the US at once. Puerto Ricans are Americans but are not Americans. Definitely the definition of twilight.

The DR is clearly a different country, no question about it. It doesn't look like the US nor feels like the US, but its a great place to visit. In many ways its very similar with PR and in other ways it could not be any more different.

It really depends on how comfortable you are in unfamiliar settings, your sense of adventure in terms of exploring other cultures and understanding a part of the world we all share.

But that's if you want to actually explore the place, if all you want to do is lie at a beach, forget about the world, and just relax; well in that case pick a good resort on either island and be happy. For this the DR might give a bigger bang for the buck, but both are well suited.

As for the pride, its the only place in the world that belongs to them. Everyone loves their country, regardless of the situation in their homeland. Just keep in mind that when a native speaks to you of their country, they are talking to you from a perspective that knows the country very well and are able to compartmentalize the good and bad aspects of such place and be able to tell the difference between the genuine traditional culture and new influences, whether positive or negative.

As a foreign tourist, we may not readily grasp such differences and often times, the country we experience may not really live up to our expectations based on what a native told us before hand; such destination may surpass or fall short of our expectations.

The same thing happens in the US as well. Browsing this website is a testament to that. For any given place, there are people that love it and hate it and if you talk to both of them, it often appears they are talking about two completely different places.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:40 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,519,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
what part of nyc are you from, if i may ask?

manhattan, brooklyn, the bronx, and staten island...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories