Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 04:03 PM

120 posts, read 400,698 times

Advertisements

My wife has a conference in Puerto Rico in mid-June, so we are making a vacation out of it. We have a room at El Conquistador Resort in Fajardo. We have been told that items are extremely expensive at the resort. We planned on renting a car in order travel off property to eat dinner at a reasonable price and find entertainment. Is anyone familiar with this resort? How far will we have to travel to find restaurants / clubs from the resort? We were told that many natural-born Puerto Ricans don’t like Americans from the mainland, is this true? We heard that pick-pocketing is a popular crime. Aside from that, will we be relatively safe traveling alone? Do you have any suggestions as to attractions that would be worth our time? ANY advice about the area in general would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 06:15 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,089,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCDom View Post
My wife has a conference in Puerto Rico in mid-June, so we are making a vacation out of it. We have a room at El Conquistador Resort in Fajardo. We have been told that items are extremely expensive at the resort. We planned on renting a car in order travel off property to eat dinner at a reasonable price and find entertainment. Is anyone familiar with this resort? How far will we have to travel to find restaurants / clubs from the resort? We were told that many natural-born Puerto Ricans don’t like Americans from the mainland, is this true? We heard that pick-pocketing is a popular crime. Aside from that, will we be relatively safe traveling alone? Do you have any suggestions as to attractions that would be worth our time? ANY advice about the area in general would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
You and your wife are in for a treat at El Conquistador. It is absolutely beautiful. I hope you get to enjoy the private beach at Palomino Island. We ate at the hotel (we were there only 2 nights) so I don't have advice on local places to eat. I recommend visiting El Yunque (the tropical rainforest) and Luquillo Beach since you'll be so close. If you venture further out, you should definitely visit Old San Juan (El Morro, La Fortaleza, etc.).

People from the mainland are not hated by locals. I think Puerto Ricans are very hospitable and friendly. The worse that can happen in places outside San Juan is that you won't find as many people who are bilingual or willing to speak English. As far as crime, be aware of your surroundings and crimes of opportunity. Drug abuse and unemployment rates are high in PR, which can account for the crime rate. Enjoy your vacation.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:09 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,834,481 times
We also stayed at El Conquistador a couple of years ago. My husband was there on business, and I tagged along. The resort has several different restaurants with varied price points. In the morning I would go to the coffee shop and get a coffee and a box of cereal. Lunch can be purchased near the pool, and the choices range from pizza, burgers, salads, etc. The restaurants were very good. I don't recall them being terribly pricey. It would probably cost you more to rent a car than to just eat right on the property.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:09 AM

35 posts, read 85,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCDom View Post
That's one hell of an excellent Hotel (at least the last time I stayed there). But things are very expensive in site, we used to go out and eat and shop (excellent dining options at Las Croabas/Seven Seas area, which is behind the hotel, if you drive down the road and around it). As for pick-pocketing and people disliking americans, not that much, it's a minority and very much limited to the politics scene. If you have time, ask a fishermen to take you to Icacos Island (hell of a nice beach), go to the phosporecent (sp?) bay at night (a moonless night is better), go to El Yunque, among others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories