U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 03:19 AM

42 posts, read 139,132 times

Advertisements

From what I see there is some rivalry/animosity between the Cruzians and the St Tomians. Not quite sure when it started but it is evident. STTresident, fairbanks101 or insaneindamembrane do you guys have a clue?
Curious To me it seems like the old hatfield mcoy feud

Last edited by sauceress; 06-01-2009 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 04:52 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,634,723 times
The animosity some Crucians have towards St Thomians is because of the perception that St Thomas is the seat of government and that St Thomas is generally allotted way more money than STX.

Many years ago my first visit to STX was to attend an official function which was followed by a cocktail party in a private home with over a hundred people in attendance. Four or five times during the evening as I was being introduced to various people, the most (then) odd comment would come from smiling and hospitable Crucians who said in effect, "It's*so nice to meet you, we've heard you're one of the 'good' St Thomians!" I finally asked one of the guests who I knew quite well what was meant and he explained it to me.

I haven't spent enough time on STX in latter years to know if this is still the case although from sauceress's comment I guess so.. But I do think it's one-sided. In all my years on St Thomas I can't recall ever hearing a St Thomian make any sort of a derogatory comment about Crucians in the same vein. As the islands turn. Cheers!

Old 06-01-2009, 07:02 AM

345 posts, read 1,155,019 times
Come to think of it, i dont think i've heard many locals talk bad about stx on stt. They just always say its big and they drive really fast. Though they each have their own perceptions.

I have been told by business owner who relocated it was "vietnam" down there and my girl friend's uncle was shot while roofing a house.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:19 PM

Gratz STTresident .. dont spend it al lin one place lol

Old 06-05-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauceress View Post
Gratz STTresident .. dont spend it al lin one place lol
Just hopped on after a very long night but, sauceress, confess you lost me there! Cheers!

Old 06-05-2009, 11:58 PM

Gift Certificate for posting

Old 06-19-2009, 04:24 PM

16,760 posts, read 42,363,498 times
Here is my perception as a tourist. I'm sure STX is a wonderful place to visit. We met a very nice elderly lady from there on the way back to the states once, she had somehow gotten on the wrong plane on her way to her daughters wedding in the US and we helped her find the right plane and get help to get the problem straightened out. She invited us to visit her in STX and I'm sorry we never made it back there to do so. I'm sure it has many wonderful features.

I have chartered sailboats in the USVI and BVI on 3 separate occasions, for a week to 11 days.

STT, STJ & the BVI's offer a lot more tourist destinations within short distances of each other. I have read the cruising and travel guides about visiting STX, and didn't feel it was worth the long sail over and back to go visit there. I think even land bound tourists would come to the same conclusion if they had only a week or so to visit the area. If I were staying for a couple of weeks then I would consider i worth the extra effort.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Here is my perception as a tourist. I'm sure STX is a wonderful place to visit. We met a very nice elderly lady from there on the way back to the states once, she had somehow gotten on the wrong plane on her way to her daughters wedding in the US and we helped her find the right plane and get help to get the problem straightened out. She invited us to visit her in STX and I'm sorry we never made it back there to do so. I'm sure it has many wonderful features.

I have chartered sailboats in the USVI and BVI on 3 separate occasions, for a week to 11 days.

STT, STJ & the BVI's offer a lot more tourist destinations within short distances of each other. I have read the cruising and travel guides about visiting STX, and didn't feel it was worth the long sail over and back to go visit there. I think even land bound tourists would come to the same conclusion if they had only a week or so to visit the area. If I were staying for a couple of weeks then I would consider i worth the extra effort.
Valid point and one which comes up frequently on travel forums. St John is only a 10 minute ferry ride from St Thomas and the BVI only a 45 minute ferry ride so visitors can easily get a taste of islands. The sailing here is awesome as you can stop off at countless cays even on just a day charter. Conversely, the distance between these islands and St Croix entails a flight (an inter-island ferry is sometimes in operation between STT and STX but they don't call it the "Barf Barge" for no reason!)

And I DO get irritated when someone from STX jumps into a discussion about "which island to visit" by totally dunning MY island and calling it a horrible, crowded, tourist-jammed rock which is far from the truth. St Croix is very different from STT and STJ but absolutely has its unique charm and beauty and I never resort to island bashing. Cheers!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:02 PM

4,476 posts, read 8,629,942 times
I do not think that ST. Croix is the forgotten island. I love that island!

Old 06-26-2009, 07:28 AM

177 posts, read 883,002 times
Perhaps the reason is that most people learn geography from their travel agent instead of in a school system. Had geography been covered more throughout elementary and high school, it could potentially embed curiosity about travel to places such as St. Croix.

Recently I have been in the air a lot, and many of the onboard magazines have advertisements for Carib islands, including St. Croix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories