Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 04:29 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times

Advertisements

One of the strangest things I notices, with pleasure, about our brief stop in Puerto Rico, is that after visiting the USVI and BVI's, everyone we met in PR was so friendly and helpful. We visited old PR during the middle of a business day and it all seemed so vital and lively in comparison to where we had been. I have to say the people in the BVI's especially seemed sour and bitter in comparison.

What we experienced in PR was a very nice change, and I plan on vacationing in PR because of it.

Last edited by CptnRn; 06-19-2009 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 11:57 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
Like other places outside the states food in grocery stores is sold in tiny containers which contributes to a higher cost for groceries.

Oranges are eaten by peeling and cutting the top off. Then people suck the contents.
Thats true! LOL. When I went to visit my family in PR, they handed me an orange and a knife and then laughed at me when I simply cut the orange in half and ate the pulp along with the juice. They then got another one and prepared it the "right" way for me.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:51 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
Car parades with unbelievably large and loud speakers and lots of cars with horns honking.

THE LOUD SPEAKERS, OOOOH NOOOO!!!

I was there this last Father's day, June 20th. That Sunday morning - somewhere around 5am - I was rudely awakened by some car blaring a song having to do with the day's celebration. Upon rising from bed, I asked my dad what that was all about. His response:

"Oh, that's just a little gift from our town's mayor. He does that in honor of all the town's fathers. He does the same thing on mother's day."

Some gift! I'd wished for a shotgun with a scope.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:57 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times
PEOPLE CLAP WHEN THEIR AIRPLANE LANDS!

I experienced this earlier this month. But what took me by surprise was the number of people who did this apparently NOT of Puerto Rican descent. Seems like others just went along with the flow.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:09 PM

177 posts, read 958,961 times
Places seem not to have addresses, and everything is near something else. It is even true of the official buildings. When calling to find out where a specific government building often the get directions involve a landmark such as a dealership or something else. Hello I own a GPS, just give me the damn address!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:24 AM

24 posts, read 108,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
PEOPLE CLAP WHEN THEIR AIRPLANE LANDS!

I experienced this earlier this month. But what took me by surprise was the number of people who did this apparently NOT of Puerto Rican descent. Seems like others just went along with the flow.
Lol, it depends on the ratio of natives to visitors. For me, it's odd when people don't clap even though the trip I take isn't necessarily to Puerto Rico.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:42 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
Places seem not to have addresses, and everything is near something else. It is even true of the official buildings. When calling to find out where a specific government building often the get directions involve a landmark such as a dealership or something else. Hello I own a GPS, just give me the damn address!!!
Ive noticed this too, I have always wondered what happens if there's a fire, medical emergency, need for law enforcement officers, etc ... how does one direct the cops, firefighters, EMTs, etc to the scene if there arent even addresses? It takes twice as long to get to the scene because first they have to go a nearby landmark and then make their way to the actual scene.

Just another example of how mismanaged things are down there.

On a side note, who runs the ambulances in Puerto Rico? I know they are not part of the fire department but instead it seems like there is one EMS organization for the whole island much like there also seems to be only a single statewide fire department for the whole island?

Old 06-25-2009, 08:06 PM

177 posts, read 958,961 times
Don't know about the ambulance service in PR, and I don't want to discover these details While on the subject of medical aid. I was told by a close friend that when you go the a hospital in PR then you have to bring everything with you, including sheets, cups, etc. Hospital will provide you with the bed only! Yikes!!! Who else is afraid to get sick here.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:08 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Ive noticed this too, I have always wondered what happens if there's a fire, medical emergency, need for law enforcement officers, etc ... how does one direct the cops, firefighters, EMTs, etc to the scene if there arent even addresses? It takes twice as long to get to the scene because first they have to go a nearby landmark and then make their way to the actual scene.

Just another example of how mismanaged things are down there.

On a side note, who runs the ambulances in Puerto Rico? I know they are not part of the fire department but instead it seems like there is one EMS organization for the whole island much like there also seems to be only a single statewide fire department for the whole island?
Trust me, the same odd directions are here in the USVI so allow me to try and cast some light.

First, our directions here are often based on what USED to be at a certain intersection and locals don't use route numbers. "Up the Weymouth highway, turn that left to Donoe and then take a right at the flamboyant tree and then go left again where the big truck was parked and then go left at the dumpster," although the flamboyant tree is pretty indistinguishable from any other large mass of trunk and greenery unless it's in bloom and the 'big truck' was moved a couple of years back.

No worries about emergency personnel knowing where you are - all of us here either march to the same drummer or quickly learn to adapt and, even if you're a real newbie, as long as you have SOME idea where you live even it's only what appears to you to be a strange designation of numbers and letters, you will be found quickly enough when an emergency comes up because the locals manning the emergency centers know exactly where you are.

It's always interesting to read posts from outsiders who are quick to say such as, "Just another example of how mismanaged things are down there." Ouch. I really do resent such sweeping generalities. And we get the same nonsense from newbies too. "Why aren't things done the same way here as they're done back home. What's WRONG with these people?"

The majority that moves to the islands does NOT adapt well to the intricacies and differences of island life and thus the very high attrition rate of newbies but after 25 years of living in the islands I would far rather (God willing) spend the rest of my life here than anywhere else.

This thread started off about the sometimes quaint differences but let's not allow it to segue into yet another diatribe about island living and how "they" don't live like "us" and how horribly backward "they" are compared to "us." Cheers!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:42 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
EMS is mostly run at state level, although major cities like San Juan, Bayamón and Guaynabo have their own EMS. The Fire Department is also run at the state level. Police protection is mostly provided by the state. Some towns have their own PD, but it's mainly for traffic enforcement. Even in those towns, if you call 911, they will send a state police officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories