Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 03:43 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
EMS is mostly run at state level, although major cities like San Juan, Bayamón and Guaynabo have their own EMS. The Fire Department is also run at the state level. Police protection is mostly provided by the state. Some towns have their own PD, but it's mainly for traffic enforcement. Even in those towns, if you call 911, they will send a state police officer.
Interesting, I always assumed the city police departments were full service agencies but come to think of it I have never really seen them do much besides direct traffic and write tickets as you said. Thanks for teaching me something new!

Who are the cops in the dark green vehicles with green lightbars? Am I correct in assuming they are state game wardens/conservation officers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 09:26 PM

543 posts, read 999,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It may not be every cemetery, but definitely this one I passed in the Arecibo area.
I'm originally from the Arecibo area; I lived five minutes from the radio telescope! Most cemeteries in PR are like that.

These days, I live in Norfolk, Virginia. Honestly, I do not miss PR at all...except for my friends and family.

Another "weird" thing about PR is that guys do not let women pay for nothing in a date; NEVER. Even hook ups won't let their booty call pay for a soda if they can pay for it.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:29 PM

543 posts, read 999,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Interesting, I always assumed the city police departments were full service agencies but come to think of it I have never really seen them do much besides direct traffic and write tickets as you said. Thanks for teaching me something new!

Who are the cops in the dark green vehicles with green lightbars? Am I correct in assuming they are state game wardens/conservation officers?
No, they're city cops.

The blue ones are state cops.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:06 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay26 View Post
I'm originally from the Arecibo area; I lived five minutes from the radio telescope! Most cemeteries in PR are like that.

These days, I live in Norfolk, Virginia. Honestly, I do not miss PR at all...except for my friends and family.

Another "weird" thing about PR is that guys do not let women pay for nothing in a date; NEVER. Even hook ups won't let their booty call pay for a soda if they can pay for it.

Well, that's nice of the guys. Good to know that Puerto Rican guys gentlemen

Old 07-03-2009, 12:51 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,699,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay26 View Post

Wow you live in Norfolk? I am in Va beach... cool..

Old 08-09-2009, 12:52 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,015 times
I thought of a few more:

All students wear uniforms in PR, even those in public schools. (I think this is a nice custom.) All teachers were uniforms, too! Seniors have their own color shirts that they wear all year.

On the first day of school, there is a loud speaker and really LOUD music playing while the students arrive. The seniors arrive last in a car parade with horns honking.

Private vendors are allowed to be on campus at the schools and sell sweets and other food and even things like hair accessories or jewelry.

Grocery carts are kept outside the grocery stores (I guess this may be a warm weather thing).

Grocery stores do not sell stamps at the checkout aisles.

There seem to be a lot of unattended fires burning brush.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:35 AM

Doctors do not give appointments. Instead you have to show up early in the morning and put your name on a list and then wait several hours until your name is called. (I asked a doctor once why this is done and he said that no one would show up if they set appointments.)

Most medical offices require you to pay cash. They do not bill if the insurance does not pay as much as expected but wait for you to come in again to pay the balance.

Lab work is done separately from the medical office at individual labs. People who work in these labs do not wear plastic gloves to draw blood or give shots. (I have been to about five of these labs since I have lived in Puerto Rico and this was true of all of them.)

Television coverage of car wrecks is much more graphic in PR. Cameras will show close up shots of accident victims still in the cars.

Clothes worn by newscasters are much more informal. Women will (at times) wear sleeveless low cut dresses while giving the news instead of the standard suit worn in the U.S. (This goes along with the cultural emphasis on women being "decorative".)

Last edited by Sandhillian; 08-14-2009 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 08-14-2009, 07:04 AM

177 posts, read 958,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
Doctors do not give appointments. Instead you have to show up early in the morning and put your name on a list and then wait several hours until your name is called. (I asked a doctor once why this is done and he said that no one would show up if they set appointments.)

Most medical offices require you to pay cash. They do not bill if the insurance does not pay as much as expected but wait for you to come in again to pay the balance.
<snip>
This is something that is very annoying. Even more devastating is the wait if you have kids and you are visiting a pediatrician. While complaining about this subject to my coworkers, they provided the very same reasoning. However, they seemed to feel sorry for the doctor. Now how *&^@ing twisted is this society. The doctor makes you wait for half a day in a small room with people coughing all around you and they feel sorry for them?! If I start to think this way, then please send me to Obama's Death Panel so that they can put me out of my misery.

Last edited by InNeedOfAnswers; 08-14-2009 at 07:16 AM..

Old 08-14-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
This is something that is very annoying. Even more devastating is the wait if you have kids and you are visiting a pediatrician. While complaining about this subject to my coworkers, they provided the very same reasoning. However, they seemed to feel sorry for the doctor. Now how *&^@ing twisted is this society. The doctor makes you wait for half a day in a small room with people coughing all around you and they feel sorry for them?! If I start to think this way, then please send me to Obama's Death Panel so that they can put me out of my misery.
I often wonder how so many people can take so much time off work. BTW, there is no death panel. That was something Palin made up.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:26 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
How about both times through the airport to and from the Virgin Islands, they 'randomly' screened only dark brown people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories