U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 09:40 PM

19 posts, read 66,549 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling to Puerto Rico soon and have been trying to decide upon staying at the El Conquistador in Fajardo or staying at a resort hotel in Isla Verde. One thing I read in a view is that Isla Verde is very close to a violent housing project. Is Isla Verde a safe area despite this or will I be better off at the El Conquistador? Please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 05:13 AM

340 posts, read 866,560 times
There are violent housing projects everywhere. From what I remember Isla Verde is a very expensive area with lots of turists and lots of people all the time, lots of restaurants and entertainment and of course the beach. Just like in any city, be careful, you will be fine.

What I meant with violent housing projects everywhere is everywhere in the island not just Isla Verde. Just be careful and go out in groups at night like you would do in any other city.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:33 PM

That is the thing, I am looking to be more relaxed about going out at night than I would be at home...I really want a place to have fun with a small risk factor. Is that possible in PR?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:46 PM

2,879 posts, read 3,418,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenNYC View Post
That is the thing, I am looking to be more relaxed about going out at night than I would be at home...I really want a place to have fun with a small risk factor. Is that possible in PR?
Sounds like you might do yourself justice by visiting the island municipality of Culebra. It's off the main island's east coast. You get there via a one hour ferry ride, or a 12 minute plane flight. I recommend the plane flight from the Fajardo airport which costs $75 round trip.

There are plenty of bed and breakfast places to choose from. I rented an apartment named "Casa Ensenada." The accomodations, while not 5-star, sufficed the needs. Best thing about this place was the backyard deck which looked out into Ensenada bay. It also had a 65' pier and kayaks for the guest's use. You will do yourself justice by renting a jeep. Look for Carlos Jeep Rentals.

Culebra has white sand beaches and crime is virtually unheard of from what I've been told. There are a few restaurants, but I definitely recommend Mamacita's. Go there on a Saturday night and treat yourself to their 2 hour rumba jam session.

I was there for a weekend in August of 2008. Wish I could have stayed in Culebra at least 5 days.

Am on my way back to Puerto Rico tomorrow June 12th. Not visiting Culebra this time. Will be visiting the island's west coast.

Below is a picture of Zoni Beach in Culebra. Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails
Isla Verde, Carolina PR-zoni.jpg  

Old 06-10-2009, 09:51 PM

Nice picture, I will look into this option....had not heard of this area before but it sounds really nice.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:57 PM

2,879 posts, read 3,418,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenNYC View Post
Nice picture, I will look into this option....had not heard of this area before but it sounds really nice.
Hi. Hope I've perked your curiosity. What I enjoyed most about Culebra was the people I met. There are several mainland Anglos living in Culebra. Most own some sort of service oriented business. I also met a British woman who's lived in Culebra for 12 years. She manages Casa Ensenada and had a very interesting story as to how she ended up in Culebra.

One afternoon I visited a combo bakery/liquor/convenience store. Wish I could remember the name. I struck up a conversation with a local man in his 50's. We bought each other rounds of wine & beer over the course of 3 hours. The store owner and his beautiful wife could not have been more pleasant.

Well, I'm packed and ready to go. Just burning a little time before catching my flight to Puerto Rico today. All the best!

Old 06-12-2009, 08:20 AM

195 posts, read 607,742 times
I hope to go Culebra at some point. I've heard it's like stepping back in time. Is there a lot of radiation on the island from the bombing that went on? I've heard that Vieques and Culegra have higher rates of cancer when compared to the mainland of PR.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:53 PM

177 posts, read 883,210 times
In the pictures section I recently posted a picture of Carolina/Isla Verde from across the crescent. I don't think that it is dangerous. All depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for easy access to restaurants, car rentals, there is even a super market in a walking distance, Wallgreens, etc. Then that is the place. If you are interested in sitting around on a beach and sipping mochitas all day long, then go to the resort. An alternative and something in between is Carib Hilton in San Juan ( Hilton San Juan, Puerto Rico ). This puts you right next to the old town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories