Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:18 PM

29 posts, read 82,395 times

Advertisements

This is my first time traveling to Puerto Rico. I was debating between staying at Las Casitas or La Concha Resort and after some compromise decided to stay at La Concha. Both had great reviews on Trip Advisor so the compromise wasn't that difficult. Anyway, how's the weather typically in September? How are the locals? What to do? Where to eat? Where to stay away from? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 02:11 PM

177 posts, read 958,661 times
These are difficult questions to answer as you did not say what sort of budget you have. However, expect to have fun, but also expect expenses. You will have more restaurants to choose from than you care to see. Perhaps hotel will tell you the closer ones, but OSJ has plenty of places to eat same goes for Condado (both a short taxi drive, or walk away). I don't know to what extent you plan to mingle with the local population, but you will find people generally helpful (except when they get into their car, at which point rage takes over). The usual warnings about late night bar hopping apply. I suggest against renting a car as it is unreasonably expensive to do so here -- unless you plan to see El Yunque.

My suggestion is one or two trips to OSJ, one or two evenings in Condado, optionally I would suggest Pinones (spelling?) to get the local flavor, another option is El Yunque. Rest of the time enjoy in the very nice hotel that you chose. It was recently renovated and it should be a very nice place to relax and enjoy your vacation at.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:43 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,179 times
Contrary to InNeedOfAnswers, I strongly recommend NOT going to Piñones!!! I visited Piñones last year. I was disgusted by the filth seen everywhere.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with either place you mentioned. If you plan on going elsewhere in the island, I recommend staying in Rincón of the Seas in Rincón. It's a little pricey but for the right reasons. Every room has a view towards the ocean. It's beach is for guests only. See pic below. I took that pic from my room.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:48 PM

Going to San Juan, PR in September- what to expect?-extrablue.jpg

Old 07-11-2009, 04:41 PM

177 posts, read 958,661 times
i like Piñones, and I eat there every month at least once. Never got sick, and the food is very tasty I suggested that place because juju asked about the locals, and what better place than Pinones. It is a a save place to go and it is up to juju to eat there or not.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
i like Piñones, and I eat there every month at least once. Never got sick, and the food is very tasty I suggested that place because juju asked about the locals, and what better place than Pinones. It is a a save place to go and it is up to juju to eat there or not.
Sure. The food is good, as it is anywhere else. But you do agree that the place is disgustingly filthy, right??? There is trash everywhere you look!

Old 07-11-2009, 08:00 PM

195 posts, read 668,686 times
Buy this book and you will need to know nothing else. Trust me, I did what it suggested and had a blast.

Amazon.com: Rum & Reggae's Puerto Rico, Including Culebra & Vieques (Rum & Reggae series): Jonathan Runge, Adam Carter: Books

Old 07-12-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
These are difficult questions to answer as you did not say what sort of budget you have. However, expect to have fun, but also expect expenses. You will have more restaurants to choose from than you care to see. Perhaps hotel will tell you the closer ones, but OSJ has plenty of places to eat same goes for Condado (both a short taxi drive, or walk away). I don't know to what extent you plan to mingle with the local population, but you will find people generally helpful (except when they get into their car, at which point rage takes over). The usual warnings about late night bar hopping apply. I suggest against renting a car as it is unreasonably expensive to do so here -- unless you plan to see El Yunque.

My suggestion is one or two trips to OSJ, one or two evenings in Condado, optionally I would suggest Pinones (spelling?) to get the local flavor, another option is El Yunque. Rest of the time enjoy in the very nice hotel that you chose. It was recently renovated and it should be a very nice place to relax and enjoy your vacation at.

I plan on visiting Roberto Clemente's coliseum- is this in OSJ?

Old 07-12-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroy25 View Post
Buy this book and you will need to know nothing else. Trust me, I did what it suggested and had a blast.

Amazon.com: Rum & Reggae's Puerto Rico, Including Culebra & Vieques (Rum & Reggae series): Jonathan Runge, Adam Carter: Books

COOL!! Thanks so much! Didn't think about buying a tourism book at all.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:18 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju!1946 View Post
I plan on visiting Roberto Clemente's coliseum- is this in OSJ?
No. The coliseum and the stadium are next to the main mall of San Juan, Plaza Las americas. They are all located in the northern section of Hato Rey, a sector of the center part of the municipality of San Juan, and at least a 20 minute (with light traffic) drive south of Old San Juan...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories