U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 10:10 AM

9 posts, read 67,467 times

Advertisements

I'm active duty US Navy. Just got selected for orders to Guam and will be PCS'ing in December. Single, no dependents. Stationed in Japan for last 2 1/2 years. Avid scuba diver and underwater photographer (200+ dives in last 2 years). One previous trip to Guam in December 2007. I don't own a car (do own a Harley Davidson :-D) This will be my last tour, I'm retiring in January 2012.

Looking for advice, things to look out for, recommendations...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,708 times
Bill22,
Sorry i cannot help you out, but i am in the same boat. My husband will be moving to Guam in Dec. '09 (he will be working on Anderson AFB). If you get any info, please send it my way?

Old 07-10-2009, 01:26 AM

2 posts, read 21,048 times
I sent you a direct message.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:31 PM

28,239 posts, read 34,832,627 times
You will LOVE the diving! I recommend Blue Hole, and a trip to Palau.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You will LOVE the diving! I recommend Blue Hole, and a trip to Palau.
I expect that I will The diving had a lot to do with my requesting orders there. During my one previous trip I did 18 dives in a week including 2 dives at Blue Hole. Easy to see why this is THE signature dive in Guam

I hope to dive extensively throughout Micronesia while I'm there. I'm already looking at trips to Palau, Yap, Chuuk, Saipan, and Bikini. Bikini dive ops are of course shut down right now, but I've stayed in touch and am hopeful they will re-open next year.

I'm currently a Divemaster Candidate and am also looking at moving up to instructor while in Guam. If anyone has info, recommendations, estimate of costs, etc... that would be great also

Old 07-10-2009, 09:34 PM

Here's a few links I've found or have been sent to me:

What's It Like to Live on Guam?
Assignment Guam 2008|Volume 30
https://www.cnic.navy.mil/Guam/index.htm
Military Assignment to Guam
http://guamapartmentrentals.com/docs/guam_map.pdf (broken link) (a map might be helpful )
The Ultimate Guide into Guam and her People. Welcome to Guam! Author - Rudolph Villaverde

And a couple of links for the major dive shops:

Guam & Micronesia Pacific Scuba Diving.
WELCOME TO GUAM TROPICAL DIVE STATION

Micronesia Dive Association also has locations at the US Navy Base and Guam Tropical Dive Station has the same for the Air Force Base. I personally dived with MDA during my previous trip to Guam. I have friends who have dived with GTDS and say they are great too.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:33 PM

75 posts, read 178,575 times
We did a short tour in Guam last 2003-2005. My husband loved it and learned how to scuba dive. He drove his yamaha all over the place. Island food is great and you will definitely have that laid-back island style kind of living.

The downside is, it can get boring since you can go around the island in about a couple of hours (or so!). Everything oustide the base is expensive. If you need to buy something from the mainland, mail will sometimes take a few weeks (even if you get priority) and sometimes it doesn't arrive at all (like his helmet). Typhoons are crazy and you have to have durable shutters. You have to drive slow when it rains because the roads get very slippery when it gets wet.

Overall, it is a nice place to live. Relatively low crime and the school system is okay. Great, diverse places to eat especially in the tourist area in Tumon Bay. You will be surrounded by the big, blue pacific ocean. Hope you enjoy Guam!!!!

Old 07-16-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINAYPIE View Post
We did a short tour in Guam last 2003-2005. My husband loved it and learned how to scuba dive. He drove his yamaha all over the place. Island food is great and you will definitely have that laid-back island style kind of living.

The downside is, it can get boring since you can go around the island in about a couple of hours (or so!). Everything oustide the base is expensive. If you need to buy something from the mainland, mail will sometimes take a few weeks (even if you get priority) and sometimes it doesn't arrive at all (like his helmet). Typhoons are crazy and you have to have durable shutters. You have to drive slow when it rains because the roads get very slippery when it gets wet.

Overall, it is a nice place to live. Relatively low crime and the school system is okay. Great, diverse places to eat especially in the tourist area in Tumon Bay. You will be surrounded by the big, blue pacific ocean. Hope you enjoy Guam!!!!
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it. Most people who have been there have told me that I'm going to love it

I scuba dive so I'm really looking forward to the diving there I've been averaging a 100 dives a year the last two years. I suspect my average will go up while I'm there

I don't expect to get too "stir-crazy" I'm pretty active and quite good at finding entertaining things to do I also like to travel a lot and since Guam is the jumping off point for all of Micronesia, I'm looking forward to the opportunity to visit some of the worlds best dive spots

Old 07-30-2012, 04:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,814 times
Default Looking for Mexican?

Please try Margarita's! Located right in central Tumon, we take pride in the food we make, use local ingredients whenever possible and make everything fresh and in house! See our menu at margaritasguam.com! All the best and hope to see you here! Gracias!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:45 PM

519 posts, read 518,857 times
About three years late unfortunately...

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories