U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 06:32 PM

135 posts, read 467,901 times

Advertisements

It depends on the area you are staying in like anywhere else. My father lives up in the mountains. Yes there are quite a few houses around and a certain level of noise (not anything extremely disturbing just sounds of life) during the morning hours and afternoon. But it was perfectly quiet in the evening/nights and the coquis are a pleasant sound to me it might be for you too. It is soothing and hypnotic and might put you right too sleep it does for me at least. When I come back from long visits to P.R I play a recording of coquis at night back at home for a few nights becuase I have trouble sleeping without the sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 599 times
It is so noisy it's ridiculous, people love noise here....I'm in Sabana Grande and get woken up by constant hammering, weed wackers, dogs barking....loud announcement trucks...people don't care and if they feel the noise bothers you they get louder on purpose....this is everyday......oh and I forgot to mention the only place where people start shooting fireworks on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's ...The 4th of July wasn't even celebrated here last year.....Hahaha I need to go back to Jersey!!!! I forgot to mention I have been living here for 4 years.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:17 PM

83 posts, read 122,603 times
I have stayed in Condado, on one of the side streets. For a two days a particular car alarm would go off every couple minutes. I was there on business working odd hours and it really messed up my sleep. After two days of this I called the cops and, believe it or not, they were there in a flash, and got the thing quiet within minutes. Supposedly they try to keep Condado somewhat civilized.

I have stayed in Encantada, a nice gated community of houses and condos. Very peaceful and civilized. One weekend night there was a neighbor that had a gathering until midnight or so that was a bit loud, but not obnoxious. I could live with that.

I have camped many times on the beach at Culebra. It used to be heaven, but it has gradually gotten taken over by kids blaring music and partying until dawn. The gringos keep moving farther and farther down the beach to get away from it, but the party does too.

I have camped on the beach at Combate, all by myself. At about 6am some truck went slowly through blaring a message, really LOUD. Do the residents not care?

I have rented a house in the mountains. Very nice and quiet, except... this damned dog across the valley barked full time. Not loud in my house, but it was this full-time irritant, like a mosquito buzzing in my ear 24/7. It would be a deal-breaker for me. Do the next-door neighbors not hear it?

I was the only guest staying off-season at this modest little inn way up in the mountains. When I got back to my cabana at night, there was music blaring. WTF? I finally tracked it down to the open-air reception building where the stereo was going full blast. Naturally the building was locked up tight, but somehow I was able to reach through the openings in the wall and disconnect the speaker wires by tugging on them hard. The next day I chatted with the manager about it. He told me that he lives at the end of the property, and gets lonesome there alone without some noise, so he was the one who cranked it up. I probably disrupted his rest by cutting it off, poor guy. But the customer is always right, n'est-ce pas?

Roosters have made me crazty on other Caribbean islands, but not in Puerto Rico for some reason. Maybe they're just drowned out by the human noise.

Puerto Rico not only tends to be loud, but Puerto Ricans don't seem to mind, whatever the circumstances. I've experienced this in Miami, too. I'm a bit spoiled because in the States I live in this very quiet vanilla suburb and may be a bit spoiled.

We are looking for a second home somewhere, and PR is near the top of my list, but this noise is the #2 reason we are probably ruling PR out.

David

Old 01-20-2014, 12:25 AM

543 posts, read 893,681 times
IF you're sensitive to sounds; forget about it! When I was in high school, I spend most days with my mother (who lives in a middle class suburb in Arecibo) and there were as$h0les blasting their ghetto music at 5am in their modified cars.

When I got to stay at my dad's (who lived in a nice house in the country, he now lives in a coastal suburb with his new wife), it was a breeze!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or