U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:14 PM

18,583 posts, read 22,398,172 times

Advertisements

I'm one of these people cursed with sensitivity to noise, yet I love to travel through various parts of Latin America, as long as I have my earplugs with.

So what's it like down there? Waking up with roosters crowing at 5AM?
Car alarms going off all hours of the day and night? Loud speakers outside electronics stores? Loud music on the public buses? Loud disco's where you can hear the music 3-4 blocks away? Loud, thumping boom cars? Evangelical churches with their loud speakers blasting their sermons and music?

I recently stayed in a small town in El Salvador where I miscalcuated it would be really quiet and tranquil. Wrong! There were these evangelical churches scattered around town, with their loud cheap speakers blasting church music and sermons until midnite.

I'm looking forward to the day when I lose my hearing and I'll enjoy my travels more.

So what's the scoop down there? No different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 07:39 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,033,146 times
LOL. Puerto Rico is LOUD! A hearing aid supply company has got to be the best investment around. Yes to the roosters, yes to loud native birds, yes to dog fights at night, and most of all yes to giant loud speakers (bigger than the back of a pickup truck) blaring their advertisement message or music from businesses and routinely driving through town.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:01 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,800,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So what's it like down there? Waking up with roosters crowing at 5AM?
Car alarms going off all hours of the day and night? Loud speakers outside electronics stores? Loud music on the public buses? Loud disco's where you can hear the music 3-4 blocks away? Loud, thumping boom cars? Evangelical churches with their loud speakers blasting their sermons and music?
Yep, we got all of that in PR, except the loud music on public buses. The buses that you see most often in the San Juan Metro area are run by the Metropolitan Bus Authority (Autoridad Metropolitana de Autobuses) and are similar to the ones that you see in the States. And thank God they don't have radios on them.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:14 AM

177 posts, read 883,138 times
In Condado, if you stay in hotels facing the ocean then you should have quiet nights -- especially in the small ones like this one At Windchimes Inn. PR is a lively place and don't forget that San Juan is a metropolitan area and all city noises are present there. Old San Juan is not too loud (unless there is some special event happening). However, I have to be honest that I have never payed too much attention to the day-time street noise levels.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:36 PM

18,583 posts, read 22,398,172 times
Default Advertising Messages from Trucks!

I forgot to include that in my list as they can be most irritating, prowling the streets all day with advertising messages.

I shouldn't be at all surprised with the response so far as that's what I was guessing all along. I would guess it's no different in Santo Domingo, Jamaica or Haiti, places I haven't been to but have always wanted to visit.

A number of people are quick to say: Well, Latin's are loud, they like it loud but that's only perpetuating a myth, just like the myths created around Jews, Blacks, Asians or whatever class of people.

Until last December, I had put off going to New York City for 20 years, anticipating the levels of noise there. But I had read somewhere about Boomberg's quest to make it the least noisy big city in the country, so, curious, I went there and was awestruck, at least with Manhattan.

I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw signs posted in the neighborhoods with $350 fines for honking your horns. Car alarms illegal. Not a loud, thumping boom car to be heard on my stay there. And no police sirens either. Amazing job, Bloomberg! Keep it up!

I'm a budget traveler, so staying in a more quiet 4 or 5 star hotel would break my budget in San Juan.

I'll take this all into consideration for any future travel plans. Thanks for the responses.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:35 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,287,648 times
You know San Juan its crazy.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:35 AM

3,725 posts, read 3,442,252 times
San Juan is LOUD. We stayed in the gated community on the beach but still, it's just not a quiet place, particularly at night.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:51 AM

23 posts, read 51,649 times
San Juan is loud...with all the clubs, people, music.....Bueno, lo que usted espera ... es una ciudad

Old 07-31-2009, 09:36 AM

428 posts, read 1,264,864 times
Coquis will drive you nuts at nite.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:42 PM

24 posts, read 100,974 times
I was born there and I wouldn't call it loud. But I guess that for visitors it's annoying.

After a while you get used to it though. I'm more irritated by silence in cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or