U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:06 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,800,731 times

Advertisements

I'll have to agree with traveler00 in regards to utilities. When I lived in PR, the power went out daily for a brief period of time. How do I know? Because everyday, when I returned home, all the clocks were flashing 12:00, but the food in the fridge didn't spoil. It usually happened in the morning hours. My dad, who worked for the power company explained to me that during business hours, if the demand exceeds the generation capacity, they will do a rolling blackout on residential areas. I can't speak for how it is right now, since I am aware that the AEE has increased its generation capacity. But I would assume too that the demand has also increased.

In the 11 years that I have been living on the mainland, I lived 2 years in Florida, 8 years in New Jersey, and the rest in Pennsylvania. In FL it never went out, not even once. In NJ, it went out twice, during snowstorms. And in PA it has gone out once so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 11:06 PM

241 posts, read 955,961 times
It still happens. It's not a rolling blackout due to lack of power capacity. It's like a short surge. In my home it happened all the time. At least this is my experience.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,149 times
Default umm

"I am 50 but feel 20.............. and my son is 26. We are currently in Georgia but looking to move to Puerto Rico. I know a few people there.............. my x boyfriend which now has a new girlfriend which I don't mind................ I'd never get back with him anyway. And his friend he grew up with in PR owns a 5-star resort. Rooms rent for $500 for 4 people a night. I don't know any Spanish nor my son. Would love to talk with you about your move. Maybe able to help with a job at the resort. They also train and transport race horses. That's the area I want to get into.

Last edited by Sunscape; 12-02-2011 at 04:13 AM..

Old 06-11-2012, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,255 times
Default Puerto Rico

Wow, I am very impressed by your determination to find your roots in PR. And I agree that you should take chances for your independence. But Wait, First, to move though PR you will need transportation and this will most likely use up the $4000 you have saved, housing is very expensive even if you see different on the internet. You may be lucky and find inexpensive apt or a house which may rent a second level. But once again you need to be in PR with transportation just because many properties are not found on the internet. As for you internet business I would go with home wireless or portable wireless and place you webpage on a cloud so not to lose information. I have lived in PR since 1982 and have been there until 2011, now I live in PA and got out of PR because of the violence. Unfortunately the violence is all over the island not just in the main cities. Please reconsider your move and just visit family for a couple of months with you friend. As far as jobs go if you are lucky to get one the pay will be federal minimum, and this will not be sufficient for living comfortable. Yes PR is fun in the sun on the beach in the mountains, and I am very sad to say that PR has become a beautiful place to visit but you don’t want to live there, am sorry to say that the people that are still there live locked in their houses and are afraid to leave at night or come home late to find their house is being robbed. Once again please just go to visit family for a month or two, listen to your uncle, let you business grow make more money and establish security wealth and if you still want move to PR then go for it. I hope you can do more research with news site WAPATV.com, ENDI.com vocero.com, just to name a few. Good luck on your decision and be safe.

michael8310

Last edited by michael8310; 06-11-2012 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: spell check
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories