U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:56 PM

3 posts, read 25,694 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

My friend and I are are two young women (early 20s) who have decided to relocate to Puerto Rico from Pennsylvania and could use some advice.

About Us:
My parents are both from Puerto Rico and I can read and speak Spanish fairly well (a long way from perfect). My friend on the other hand does not speak a lick of conversational spanish. Our main reasons for moving are to learn spanish, explore a different environment and culture, and just practice simpler living. I have been to Puerto Rico several times in my lifetime and have spent a full summer there after high school. I have spent time in Rio Piedras, Cayey and San Juan. I also have grandparents and uncles who live on the island.

My uncle is very against me moving to PR. He says the economical climate is very terrible and that neither my friend or I will have any luck finding employment. Recently I have started my own small internet business and plan on continuing working on that after I get situated in PR, so I'm not too concerned with finding a "real" job. We have about $4,000 (collectively) saved up for the big move.

I am not really worried about crime. I know this sounds bizarre coming from a five foot young woman, but I grew up in Camden, NJ (if you don't know why that is revelent, do a quick google search) and have spent my college years living alone in Philadelphia. I consider myself to be very street smart. All this aside, I would like to avoid living on a part of the island with high crime. It can be really stressfull and not fun at all.

Questions:

Is $4,000 a reasonable amount of money to live off of for a couple of months? Or are we being naive? Remember we do not expect to live in a condo in Condado... and we have seen 2 bedroom houses on the island go for as little as $250-$400 a month.

How expensive are monthly utilities? What can we expect to pay for agua y luz (water and electricity) a month for a 2 bedroom house? How about internet? I have tried researching but could not find any real answers. This will help us greatly with our budgeting.

We do not know where exactly we want to move... do you have any suggestions? We were looking at houses online in Isabella, Ponce, Arecibo, and Guayama. Would anyone who is familiar with these cities/pueblos give us some insight (crime, people, etc). The only real preference we have is that we DO NOT want to live in the San Juan area.

How good are the thrift options in Puerto Rico? I know this is a weird questions to ask, but we are planning to buy a lot of furniture and house goods 2nd hand to save money. I know there are several Salvation Army's in PR. Are they a reliable source for such 2nd hand things (tables, bedroom furniture, etc.) or are we going to have to buy these items new?

How much is car gas in Puerto Rico right now? Just an inquiry!

These are just some of the questions we could find answers to on our own.

Thank you for reading this post. Any questions answered or general advice will be very appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 07:13 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,033,517 times
Hello. I have lived in Ponce for a year. The traffic here is much better than San Juan. I think you could live off $4,000 for several months. We were told water and electricity would run about $400 -$500 per month. We do not have an air conditioner and are paying app. $200 a month for a 3 bedroom home. Our cable internet costs about $40 per month. (A word of caution, since you said you have an internet business - it does go out with some frequency although generally for no more than a day.) I am not sure about the prospects of finding work since I have heard jobs are really scarce here. We have been a victim of crime five times since we have lived here (all property crimes not personal). There is a Salvation Army in Ponce but I have not been in it. I do see ads on Craig's List for furniture. The cost of gas here is comparable to the states. Hope that helps and good luck with your move!

Last edited by Sandhillian; 08-04-2009 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 08-05-2009, 01:06 PM

177 posts, read 883,210 times
For more information please see the my post in the thread Relocating to P.R.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:44 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,288,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
It says Page not found

Old 08-06-2009, 02:07 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,800,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkleMotionn View Post
Hey everyone,

My friend and I are are two young women (early 20s) who have decided to relocate to Puerto Rico from Pennsylvania ... but I grew up in Camden, NJ
Funny thing, I was raised in PR, moved to Camden (Westfield & 38th), and now live in Pennsylvania. I've heard that crimewise, Ponce is getting worse. If I were you, I'd stick with the west coast. Crime is lower, the beach is close by, and there's nightlife, specially around the University in Mayag√ľez and in Cabo Rojo. Good luck with your move.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:35 PM

16,760 posts, read 42,379,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
Your URL was incomplete:

//www.city-data.com/forum/u-s-t...ating-p-r.html

Old 08-07-2009, 01:59 AM

4,476 posts, read 8,632,056 times
Yeah the economy in PR is terribly bad. Also watch out for the Swine Flu. The Swine flu in PR is getting bad as my family tells me from PR.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:00 PM

135 posts, read 467,968 times
How about wait until the internet business becomes a stable income earner. I know that 4,000 dollars seems like a lot of money, but remember that in a bad economy, it can take almost a year who knows maybe longer before finding stable work you can live on. Keep in mind, that there are other expenses that pop up when you live anywhere, such as utilities, food, entertainment, etc, etc. Things add up and so to be cautious, count on that 4,000 to last you no more than 6 months and that's pushing it and kind of unrealistic. You are 2 young people that will require personal items and entertainment from time to time as well, etc. Have a back up plan for if you run out of money. Ask your family who lives in P.R if they know anyone personally who might be hiring. Do any family members own businesses there in P.R? Can they refer you to any jobs? Does your friend have any skills where her lack of speaking spanish can possibly be overlooked? How quickly do you think she can learn the language? Any way good luck, follow your hearts, take your chances but have some form of safety net to get back home if it doesn't work out, etc. Good luck.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:16 AM

195 posts, read 607,742 times
Go for it!!!!!!!!!! You only live once. Your young and can always fly home if things don't workout. Continue your research and keep your wits about you. Perhaps work on your education while down there. PR doesn't charge out of state tuition and has much lower rates then most of the mainland. You can get grants and low interest loans to supplement your income or "lack there of" while getting yourself established.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 22,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkleMotionn View Post
Hey everyone,

My friend and I are are two young women (early 20s) who have decided to relocate to Puerto Rico from Pennsylvania and could use some advice.

About Us:
My parents are both from Puerto Rico and I can read and speak Spanish fairly well (a long way from perfect). My friend on the other hand does not speak a lick of conversational spanish. Our main reasons for moving are to learn spanish, explore a different environment and culture, and just practice simpler living. I have been to Puerto Rico several times in my lifetime and have spent a full summer there after high school. I have spent time in Rio Piedras, Cayey and San Juan. I also have grandparents and uncles who live on the island.

My uncle is very against me moving to PR. He says the economical climate is very terrible and that neither my friend or I will have any luck finding employment. Recently I have started my own small internet business and plan on continuing working on that after I get situated in PR, so I'm not too concerned with finding a "real" job. We have about $4,000 (collectively) saved up for the big move.

I am not really worried about crime. I know this sounds bizarre coming from a five foot young woman, but I grew up in Camden, NJ (if you don't know why that is revelent, do a quick google search) and have spent my college years living alone in Philadelphia. I consider myself to be very street smart. All this aside, I would like to avoid living on a part of the island with high crime. It can be really stressfull and not fun at all.

Questions:

Is $4,000 a reasonable amount of money to live off of for a couple of months? Or are we being naive? Remember we do not expect to live in a condo in Condado... and we have seen 2 bedroom houses on the island go for as little as $250-$400 a month.

How expensive are monthly utilities? What can we expect to pay for agua y luz (water and electricity) a month for a 2 bedroom house? How about internet? I have tried researching but could not find any real answers. This will help us greatly with our budgeting.

We do not know where exactly we want to move... do you have any suggestions? We were looking at houses online in Isabella, Ponce, Arecibo, and Guayama. Would anyone who is familiar with these cities/pueblos give us some insight (crime, people, etc). The only real preference we have is that we DO NOT want to live in the San Juan area.

How good are the thrift options in Puerto Rico? I know this is a weird questions to ask, but we are planning to buy a lot of furniture and house goods 2nd hand to save money. I know there are several Salvation Army's in PR. Are they a reliable source for such 2nd hand things (tables, bedroom furniture, etc.) or are we going to have to buy these items new?

How much is car gas in Puerto Rico right now? Just an inquiry!

These are just some of the questions we could find answers to on our own.

Thank you for reading this post. Any questions answered or general advice will be very appreciated!
I am 50 but feel 20.............. and my son is 26. We are currently in Georgia but looking to move to Puerto Rico. I know a few people there.............. my x boyfriend which now has a new girlfriend which I don't mind................ I'd never get back with him anyway. And his friend he grew up with in PR owns a 5-star resort. Rooms rent for $500 for 4 people a night. I don't know any Spanish nor my son. Would love to talk with you about your move. Maybe able to help with a job at the resort. They also train and transport race horses. That's the area I want to get into. Send me a email at: debmartino@yahoo.com

Last edited by BreezinDixie; 08-22-2009 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories