Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 03:29 PM

24 posts, read 108,330 times

Advertisements

Well, these Puerto Ricans parades, for example, are suppose to represent and celebrate Puerto Ricans, yet many of these people have never even been to the island. So I feel that I'm being misrepresented. I'm not being misrepresented because they're doing something wrong. I'm being misrepresented because they can't aesthetically recreate anything authentic by the very nature of recreation.

It doesn't bother me that they've developed into their own culture. Nuyoricans handle a lot of things better than Puerto Ricans. There are more nuyorican artists that I enjoy than Puerto Rican ones, and when it comes to defend their own community Nuyoricans also do that better. In Puerto Rico, aids and homosexuality are very taboo. From hispanics in ny, I've heard various artists spread concern over these subjects. I've heard of various Puerto Ricans having to move to New York because they can't be openly homosexual and live on the island. But at the same time, there is something different and unique about each culture.

On being proud because of Sotomayor. I'm happy she got elected because I think she's a good candidate for the position. But I don't understand how someone can be proud of this. I think pride comes from personal accomplishments and self evaluations. To clarify, I wasn't saying that I'm ashamed she got elected. I'm ashamed of unwarranted pride, especially when it has something to do my culture. I'll flat out say that I hate people from the island who are too extroverted and superficial and go around claiming pride in their heritage, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 03:53 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.reader View Post
i was born in puerto rico and i don't feel proud because the next supreme court justice is latina or whose parents are from the same island i was born in.

Being proud of some sort of a heritage (might as well highlight the inauthenticity in this case) is extremely ignorant since there's no accomplishment being had. Also, i shiver when i'm reminded there's a parade in new york that celebrate puerto rican heritage.

I'm offended inasmuch as i'm ashamed.

you have problems..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
After careful philosophical offline examination of this topic and at the danger of being scrutinized I'll make the following statement.

The accomplishments of Judge Sotomayor and the astronaut who happened to be born in Puerto Rico represent individualist achievements. I too come from a small country where people take individuals' accomplishment as that of the nation. This is not so and should not be mistaken with any nationalistic movement. There is no nationalistic science movement and there is no nationalistic judicial movement in Puerto Rico. Remember that Judge Sotomayor was chosen and did nothing out of extraordinary to prove herself worthy of her position. I am sure that there are plenty of other candidates that can hold her position. Personally I think that a nation such as Puerto Rico should aim high and should strive to produce individuals at the rate that is comes as NO surprise that a Puerto Rican went to space, that a Pueran Rican went accomplished this or that. Notice that Judge Sotomayor does not even have the Puerto Rican last name. The fact that she was NOT born in Puerto Rico and then has grow up somewhere else should not be confused with any nationalistic feeling. Do you think that her main priority is Puerto Rico, I don't think so. I am not form Puerto Rico, but I can equate the feeling of pride that you uphold. (In the same breath) All of Puerto Ricans should strive to uphold standards that reflect their patriotic feeling and should not confuse gains of individuals with gains of Puerto Rico. As far as being inspired by her nomination. If Judge Sotomayor was educated in the Puerto Rican university system then yes, I would be inspired. She was educated somewhere else, which should be a claim to shame that in order to succeed one has to leave the island. I am sorry if my honesty has offended you, but since I live here now I feel obligated to help this nation and the only help is though honest assessment.
Now you are saying that she is not Puerto Rican because her last name is not Puerto Rican? You have got to be kidding me, A Puerto Rican is a Puerto Rican no matter what. If a Puerto Rican is born in Germany, still that person is Puerto Rican, because it is in the genes. I have to disagree with you in that one.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Reader View Post
Well, these Puerto Ricans parades, for example, are suppose to represent and celebrate Puerto Ricans, yet many of these people have never even been to the island. So I feel that I'm being misrepresented. I'm not being misrepresented because they're doing something wrong. I'm being misrepresented because they can't aesthetically recreate anything authentic by the very nature of recreation.

It doesn't bother me that they've developed into their own culture. Nuyoricans handle a lot of things better than Puerto Ricans. There are more nuyorican artists that I enjoy than Puerto Rican ones, and when it comes to defend their own community Nuyoricans also do that better. In Puerto Rico, aids and homosexuality are very taboo. From hispanics in ny, I've heard various artists spread concern over these subjects. I've heard of various Puerto Ricans having to move to New York because they can't be openly homosexual and live on the island. But at the same time, there is something different and unique about each culture.

On being proud because of Sotomayor. I'm happy she got elected because I think she's a good candidate for the position. But I don't understand how someone can be proud of this. I think pride comes from personal accomplishments and self evaluations. To clarify, I wasn't saying that I'm ashamed she got elected. I'm ashamed of unwarranted pride, especially when it has something to do my culture. I'll flat out say that I hate people from the island who are too extroverted and superficial and go around claiming pride in their heritage, too.
Wow I cannot believe that you think like this. I do not know why you state "Nuyorican culture" like if it was from another planet. Puerto Ricans from NY are still the same. However they may act different due to the neighborhoods or whatsoever, but it does not mean that their culture is different. In Christmas we do the same thing as in PR. We give "parrandas" we eat Arroz con pollo, beans, Alcapurrias etc.. So I do not know what are you referring to in here. Some people might not have been to the island but they are still Puerto Ricans no matter what or are you saying they are not Puerto Ricans because they have never visited the island?

What's wrong by showing that Puerto Ricans are proud to be Puerto Ricans? I do not see anything wrong about that. Everybody is proud of their nationalities. Everybody is the same. So I do not know what are you trying to convey here.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
you have problems..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I concur.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:21 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
You DO HAVE Problems!!!

Old 08-09-2009, 07:03 AM

177 posts, read 958,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Now you are saying that she is not Puerto Rican because her last name is not Puerto Rican? You have got to be kidding me, A Puerto Rican is a Puerto Rican no matter what. If a Puerto Rican is born in Germany, still that person is Puerto Rican, because it is in the genes. I have to disagree with you in that one.
I did not say she is not Puerto Rican because of her last name. Perhaps I did not express myself clearly. I will believe that she is Puerto Rican if she does something for Puerto Rico besides few visits.

[PS: Germany is a bad example. They have very strict citizenship laws and I don't think that she would be given a German citizenship only because she was born there. However, she may have been given the United States citizenship as there is no Puerto Rican citizenship per say (legally speaking that is).]

Last edited by InNeedOfAnswers; 08-09-2009 at 07:18 AM..

Old 08-09-2009, 07:22 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
I did not say she is not Puerto Rican because of her last name. Perhaps I did not express myself clearly. What I wanted to say is that if she was seeing herself as Puerto Rican than perhaps she would uphold the traditional last name formatting. Clearly she chose not too. As a person in power and if she would identify herself as a Puerto Rican than she would be actively involved in some aspects of Puerto Rico. Perhaps she would try to get more federal support, or champion independence cause, etc. Notice what she always stresses:

"Although I am an American, love my country and could achieve its opportunity of succeeding at anything I worked for, I also have a Latina soul and heart, with the magic that carries."

Yet easily enough she could say "a Puerto Ricon soul and heard". Puerto Rican would almost immediately imply Latina.

[PS: Germany is a bad example. They have very strict citizenship laws and I don't think that she would be given a German citizenship only because she was born there. However, she may have been given the United States citizenship as there is no Puerto Rican citizenship per say (legally speaking that is).]
You are the citizen of the country in which you are born (whether Germany or any other country) and Puerto Ricans born in the USA are Americans. Heritage is different than citizenship but you seem to be confusing the two.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:27 AM

177 posts, read 958,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You are the citizen of the country in which you are born (whether Germany or any other country) and Puerto Ricans born in the USA are Americans. Heritage is different than citizenship but you seem to be confusing the two.
Please note that I modified my earlier post that you quoted. I felt that it was not completely true. However this is:

Birth in Germany

In general, birth in Germany does not confer German citizenship if neither parent is German. However, children born on or after 1 January 2000 to non-German parents acquire German citizenship at birth if at least one parent:
  • has a permanent residence permit (and has had this status for at least 3 years); and
  • has been residing in Germany for at least 8 years.
Such children will be required to apply successfully to retain German citizenship by the age of 23. Assuming the laws are not changed prior to 2023, they will normally be required to prove they do not hold any foreign citizenship.
Parents who are citizens of European Economic Area states or Switzerland are eligible to receive permanent resident permits after five years.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I did not say she is not Puerto Rican because of her last name. Perhaps I did not express myself clearly. I will believe that she is Puerto Rican if she does something for Puerto Rico besides few visits.

Oh okay, now I see what you are saying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories