Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 04:38 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,054 times

Advertisements

I am still celebrating!!!yes!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 08:59 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,730 times
Default I am still celebrating

AND SINGING. THERE ARE GOING TO BE LOTS OF CHANGES, AND I GUESS MANY PEOPLE THAT OPPOSED HER ARE WORRIED....................

Old 08-09-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Reader View Post
Well, these Puerto Ricans parades, for example, are suppose to represent and celebrate Puerto Ricans, yet many of these people have never even been to the island. So I feel that I'm being misrepresented. I'm not being misrepresented because they're doing something wrong. I'm being misrepresented because they can't aesthetically recreate anything authentic by the very nature of recreation.

It doesn't bother me that they've developed into their own culture. Nuyoricans handle a lot of things better than Puerto Ricans. There are more nuyorican artists that I enjoy than Puerto Rican ones, and when it comes to defend their own community Nuyoricans also do that better. In Puerto Rico, aids and homosexuality are very taboo. From hispanics in ny, I've heard various artists spread concern over these subjects. I've heard of various Puerto Ricans having to move to New York because they can't be openly homosexual and live on the island. But at the same time, there is something different and unique about each culture.

On being proud because of Sotomayor. I'm happy she got elected because I think she's a good candidate for the position. But I don't understand how someone can be proud of this. I think pride comes from personal accomplishments and self evaluations. To clarify, I wasn't saying that I'm ashamed she got elected. I'm ashamed of unwarranted pride, especially when it has something to do my culture. I'll flat out say that I hate people from the island who are too extroverted and superficial and go around claiming pride in their heritage, too.
"NYricans handle things better than Puerto Ricans." What is that supposed to mean?

Old 08-09-2009, 10:19 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You are the citizen of the country in which you are born (whether Germany or any other country) and Puerto Ricans born in the USA are Americans. Heritage is different than citizenship but you seem to be confusing the two.
Actually most European countries transfer citizenship from the parents to their children, regardless of where they are born. For example, if a couple visiting from Spain has a child in the US, that child will have Spanish citizenship by virtue of being decendent of Spaniars, and at the same time will be a US citizen by virtue of being born in the USA. It will have dual citizenship. On the other hand, if a US citizen is visiting Spain and has a child there, that child will NOT be a Spanish citizen. The same applies if an illegal immigrant has a child there. It won't be a Spanish citizen and will be subject to deportation along with their parents.

The United States is one of the few contries that grant citizenship for the mere fact of being born here. France transfers citizenship up to the 1st generation born outside the country, Spain up to the 3rd generation, and Italy has no limits on generations as long as your ancestor lived in Italy sometime after 1870.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
Celebrate, but if you are a white male, then celebration is probably very low key. I can't believe that the "wise Latina woman" with one swoop erased results of the exams that represented the hard work of many fireman to enforce affirmative action. New York for all its power represents the worst morals that America has to offer. Hopefully she will become "wiser" and grow up to the position that she was given.
Maybe she got tired of seeing the INJUSTICES committed by the WHITE ESTABLISHMENT, of the FDNY, in bypassing qualified applicants with Hispanic names that took the same test and passed, with high numbers, yet, they were being PURPOSELY OVERLOOKED, that prompted her to act in such a way?

Are you aware of the fact that FDNY was almost 100% White, up to about 10 years' ago, and if it were not for Affirmative Action, it will still be the same way?

And please, do not call me a racist, because I am not...............

Old 08-09-2009, 10:38 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Are you aware of the fact that FDNY was almost 100% White, up to about 10 years' ago, and if it were not for Affirmative Action, it will still be the same way?
How ironic that NYC was ruled by Democrat mayors from 1946-1993 and no minorities made it into the FDNY ¡Boricua despierta!

Old 08-09-2009, 10:51 PM

[quote=Trucker7;10198795]How ironic that NYC was ruled by Democrat mayors from 1946-1993 and no minorities made it into the FDNY ¡Boricua despierta![/quote

Yes! there were some minorities, but not enough, they were just throwing them a bone. But when it came to the BIG positions, many were overlooked.

!Y YO NO ESTOY DORMIDA! ! Al contrario, muy despierta!

Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 AM

177 posts, read 958,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Maybe she got tired of seeing the INJUSTICES committed by the WHITE ESTABLISHMENT, of the FDNY, in bypassing qualified applicants with Hispanic names that took the same test and passed, with high numbers, yet, they were being PURPOSELY OVERLOOKED, that prompted her to act in such a way?

And please, do not call me a racist, because I am not...............
I don't know about FDNY, the case that made the headlines involved New Haven Fire department from Connecticut.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:04 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I'm happy that a Bronx Boricua has made it to the Supreme Court.

With regards to a Boricua being the first hispanic in space, that's not so. That honor goes to Cuban cosmonaut Arnaldo Tamayo Méndez. He did this in September of 1980. Hey...at least he was a Caribeño.
That's right. I was gonna point that out as well. As as Afro-Cuban I was doubly proud to see the first Latino/first African descendant in space back then. I am also very proud of Justice Sotomayor.

But wasn't the first (American) Hispanic in space a Costa Rican, not a Puerto Rican?

Old 08-10-2009, 10:07 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Now you are saying that she is not Puerto Rican because her last name is not Puerto Rican? You have got to be kidding me, A Puerto Rican is a Puerto Rican no matter what. If a Puerto Rican is born in Germany, still that person is Puerto Rican, because it is in the genes. I have to disagree with you in that one.

Google the great German soccer star Felix Magath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories