U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 04:53 PM

543 posts, read 893,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
I wish they had an outlet in Ponce. Where do they have outlets outside of the San Juan area?
Prime Outlets PR is in Barceloneta: a city that's an hour from San Juan, very close to Arecibo, the city with the world's largest radio telescope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
Beauty pageants are a really big deal on this island. Girls talk about it from a very early age and they even have miniature beauty pageants with queens for different events. There is a strong cultural emphasis on women being decorative. I even heard someone say that having a contestant in the Miss Universe contest was a reason for Puerto Rico to not become a state! LOL. You are right though about there being many pretty women on the island.
I wanted to participate in Miss Universe PR so I can land an audition for a telenovela (the winner gets the chance to audition for telenovelas), but when they notified me they have full authorization to alter my body whenever way they want (as in plastic surgery), I had to say no. So, I didn't filled the contract, and used the franchise money to get married instead (to a sailor).

Now, instead of having a fake DD and a nose job, I wear the navy uniform. This is more useful than looking pretty for gay men and old women. I rather learn the basis of avionics (aviation electronics) than a silly TV script (that's not better than what I can write; since I also attend college, and I studied script writing).

Old 10-31-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Dident Applebee's only just open it's first locations in PR?

Most chains found in mainland do have a presence in PR albeit some more limited then others. Subway, Burger King, and Church's are very common but McDonald's, Wendy's, and Quiznos for example are not as common but can be found.
Those three are everywhere these days!!!!!!!!!

What was the last time you went to PR? 15 years ago?!

Old 10-31-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsk View Post
PR is very "westernized". There are Starbucks everywhere, Chili's, Macaroni Grill, Johnny Rockets...just to name a few. I'm surprised when I read negative remarks about PR. I suppose not every place is for everybody...which is fine. I have loved exploring the island over the past year. My fav places to date are Rincon, Culebra and Vieques. Personally, I think that vacationers that leave here without having had a good time most likely lack the ambition to seek adventure or are just not meant to vacation in a "tropical" environment. This is a beautiful island with beautiful people.
It is the best place ...to visit.

To live? I don't think so, and I live there for over 18 years!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2009, 11:35 PM

24,672 posts, read 34,771,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay26 View Post
Those three are everywhere these days!!!!!!!!!

What was the last time you went to PR? 15 years ago?!

Yeh, really. I can't believe how many McDonalds there are in PR.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:45 AM

34 posts, read 86,555 times
the reason people might not see a chili's,mac. grill etc etc on the western area is because they're obviously opening locations close to the metro areas to see how well they do. Think of Ponce as a more country-ish area where things are a bit of a longer drive compared to the metro areas,just like every state in the USA has a country side and a metro side to it. Anyways,the drive from Ponce to SJ is just a little over an hr.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migue View Post
the reason people might not see a chili's,mac. grill etc etc on the western area is because they're obviously opening locations close to the metro areas to see how well they do. Think of Ponce as a more country-ish area where things are a bit of a longer drive compared to the metro areas,just like every state in the USA has a country side and a metro side to it. Anyways,the drive from Ponce to SJ is just a little over an hr.
It also depends on the time of the day. During rush hour, it could take someone over two hours!

A happy medium? The northern/central area. Is not as populated as San Juan, but not as far away as Ponce. Arecibo, Barceloneta, Hatillo, Manati are a few cities that are as good as San Juan or Ponce.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:29 PM

2,522 posts, read 5,344,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
I had the same experience in St. Thomas!!!!! They were not friendly at all.
A good reason is that there are no non-tourist related jobs, and the cruise ships, not one line, but many, daily dump thousands of day trippers into/on the place......if you want friendly islanders, watch old disney/hollywod faux documentaries of the "friendly" islanders per the 40's-50's.....Hawaii same thing, though they are a state......

Old 11-09-2009, 10:57 AM

58 posts, read 109,989 times
we have been to San Juan twice on vacation and had a great time both times. Drove all over the island and enjoyed the scenery and food a lot. Did not feel uncomfortable or threatened anywhere we went.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:05 PM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
845 posts, read 1,410,323 times
Smile Puerto Rico---¡Bienvenidos a la Isla del Encanto!

I absolutely love the island. The last time I was there we spent time with family and went to El Conquistador. El Conquistador is so beautiful and there was plenty to do. Puerto Rico Hotels & Beachfront Resorts - El Conquistador Resort & Golden Door Spa

Also, I love the tropical fruit drinks, especially guayábana. Although, guayábana can be used for deserts, pastries, sauces and candies.

While in Puerto Rico, I also make sure that I have Medalla. The local Puerto Rican beer. What a great taste this beer has. I wish that it was available in the US. Medalla Light - El Sabor Que Nos Mueve

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories