U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:57 PM

40 posts, read 96,213 times

Advertisements

My favorite restaurants in Old San Juan are the following:

La Bombonera: Order the "Mallorca" with ham and cheese toasted and a "cafe con leche." Try their "quesitos" (cheese danish). Anything you order will be good.

Raices: Order the Can Can Pork chop! with white rice and beans.

I love to visit the Marshall's in Old San Juan, the outlets, the Forts, and the Starbucks which has corn bread that tastes very good. The coffees mentioned in the different posts are yummy! Since I live in the US I stick to El Pilon! How do you make your cafe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
It is easy to be negative about Puerto Rico, but there are many nice things here as well.

For example, I have fallen in love with Puerto Rican coffee. There is some very good coffee made locally.

If you lived in PR for a long time, please share your favorite spots, bars, places to eat, beaches to visit, whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 12:39 PM

11 posts, read 26,184 times
funny i read through a bunch of these answers...not all of them so pardon me if i am wrong here....but i didnt see anyone mention cafe bustello...that is my husbands favorite coffee and when we lived in the states i always bought it...and it was cheaper than the other coffees over there....last year right before we moved here bustello was going for $1.78 for a one pound brick.....then we moved here to PR and it is $5.79 for a 14 oz brick....lol....i dont buy it any more....of course all of the coffees are expensive here which is kind of odd since it is grown here....
my daughter has taken a real liking to crema though...she says it tastes like chocolate, i dont drink coffee so i couldn't tell you!

Old 03-13-2012, 01:47 PM

2,879 posts, read 3,418,037 times
One of the things I most love to do when visting Puerto Rico is to find some off-the-beaten path "hole-in-the-wall" pub and share drinks (mostly beer) and conversation with local people.

There's a place in the town of Isabela which I absolutely love. It's located in a beach front area called Villa Pesquera. There are 4 kiosks and a centrally located convenience store which also doubles as a karaoke place & pub. It's aptly called, El Negocito del Medio. I cannot number the amount of times I and others have enjoyed ourselves there.

I was in PR just 8 days ago. As before, I was taken to a place in Vega Alta called El Ocho Negro. Around midnight, there were only 5 persons in the place. The owner closed the frontgate, sat, drank and conversed with us until 1:30am.

That same week I visited a popular Friday evening watering hole in the barrio of Maguayo called Felipe's. This place gets really packed as of 5pm on Friday's. My friends and I hung out until 11pm at which time we rolled to a low key watering hole called Freddy's in Vega Alta.

I know one should always exercise a bit of caution when going out at night. So far, so good!

Old 03-13-2012, 05:52 PM

4,533 posts, read 6,776,392 times
Sounds like you are really visiting the places that one should get to know in my land of enchantment,Chacho!
I love those places and there are so many!!!

Old 03-14-2012, 08:01 AM

2,879 posts, read 3,418,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
Sounds like you are really visiting the places that one should get to know in my land of enchantment,Chacho!
I love those places and there are so many!!!
¡Tu lo dices y no lo sabes!

There are a ton a places like that which I've found in the most outta-the-way places. These establishments were normally frequented by mostly men. Yet, recently, I have seen lots of women in these "holes-in-the-wall" just hanging out, laughing, drinking, and just having as good a time as any man. For example, the night my friends and I arrived at Freddy's in Vega Alta, I bumped into a friend's mother. (Funny thing is that her son had just finished hanging out with us earlier that night.) She was comfortable and conversing with other locals. We bought her a beer which she happily accepted as we continued talking and remembering old times.

Of the places I've mentioned, the one in Isabela is my absolute favorite. The owners (Doña Maritza y Don Danny) are a wonderful and good looking older couple who seem genuinely happy each time I show up at their place. The very last time I was there, I ordered a drink for a friend. After Don Danny served it, he said, "let me know if you need me to spice it up a little more; it's on the house." There are not too many places that willingly add more booze to a drink, free of charge.

Friday evenings at this place are called Noches Bohemias. On this night, Don Danny breaks out his guitar and Doña Maritza her maracas. They sing boleros and get others to join in. By 11pm the place is loaded with kareoke wannabees, pretenders, offenders, and an occasional talented singer. It's a safe and happy ocean front location where people just enjoy themselves in a very typical Puerto Rican way.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,162 times
Cost of living in PR compared to USVI?

Old 03-19-2012, 04:00 PM

5,827 posts, read 8,591,681 times
I wouldn't be surprised if USVI is much more expensive than PR. Its much smaller in every sense and much more difficult to reach. Most of the products that reaches USVI (which is probably all of them, lol) probably passes through PR first, adding extra transportation costs that has to be pass down to the customer.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:35 AM

80 posts, read 382,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepawsinn View Post
the coffee is incredible if you're lucky to find a place or person who can make it good. I still remember a cup of coffee I had there 23 years ago. Still remember it! It was at a friend of a friend's home and this older lady made it with so much love and care. Never had a better cup of coffee. Don't even remember how she made it, wish i had asked her and wrote it down, but was too young.

Wow...23 years ago! I am a tea drinker and Hotel La Concha has the best line of teas...if anyone is interested
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories