U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:34 PM

758 posts, read 2,002,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuyoricantransplant View Post
The topic of debate that has transpired on this forum is one that has become of interest to me in the past year.
I am an art student working on a documentary discussing the issue of pride and identity specifically the Puerto Rican culture.

The title of my BFA presentation mirrors the controversial topic that all hispanics are referred to as being "Mexican". While I hold nothing against Mexicans personally, I think it is unfair to be identified with another culture.
Is it then possible that the influx of Mexicans into Puerto Rico has caused this controversy

There have been quite a lot of controversial things said in this forum, and I would like the permission of the author to use it in my BFA presentation.
To see the teaser visit: vimeo.com/wandasantosbray "I Want Some Rice and Beans...NOT frijoles!"
no, it's because mexicans in the us number 30 million and pricans r 3 million.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:13 PM

67 posts, read 160,069 times
Default Dominicans need to get out of Puerto Rico.

You should go as soon as possible... There are to many Domincians there, they need to beat it out of my peoples country and go back to theirs.... Really, it gets frustrating seeing them there... The Mexicans don't bother me, they aren't trouble to anyone, usually stick to themself and are really friendly... Domincians are wanna be gangstas, leeching off the system....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Yeah the thing is since Puerto Rico is part of the USA, and in Puerto Rico they speak Spanish, so it will be easier for them to communicate with the other people. However, I am surprised about the Mexicans coming to PR, (no offense to anyone), because how will they go to PR because it is far from Mexico. However if they are legal then that's understandable. It is also understandable for the Dominicans to go to PR, because it is not far from the Dominican Republic.

It has been a very long time since I do not go to PR, so I do not know how is it looking over there, LOL.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msoler29 View Post
You should go as soon as possible... There are to many Domincians there, they need to beat it out of my peoples country and go back to theirs.... Really, it gets frustrating seeing them there... The Mexicans don't bother me, they aren't trouble to anyone, usually stick to themself and are really friendly... Domincians are wanna be gangstas, leeching off the system....
I think it's somewhat unfair to critize Dominicans for leaching of the system, when so many pricans themselves depend heavily on 'the system'. I do recognize, however, that there is limited space, limited jobs and resources on the island, and adding a group of people that are relatively uneducated, poor, and unskilled adds an unneeded stress on an already stressed society.

I wish there was room for all of 'em cuz the girls r Fiiiiiiiiiiine.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:18 PM

35 posts, read 62,494 times
Theres tons of mexicans in PR, theres tons of Dominicans in PR too. Everyone is welcomed here, we are a nation of immigrants, like every other nation on earth, everyone moves around since the begining of time, wanting it otherwise is just unjustly discriminatory, as long as its not a forcefull violent invasion and illegal occupation of a land and people and war and such by the immigrants coming in or by one peopel against another based on their background, then its perfectly moral, fine, and natural.
And I am not naive, I know every country has its racists, some are even the majority of a country, that unjustly and for no reason but their racist stupidity, dont want people, dont want other certain people around them. In PR this is rare of a mentality, much rarer than Americans, and I would say is fairly common in America, and from what I have read, is even more common in other parts of the world like Japan. But the culture in PR is not like that, which is a very good thing.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,185 times
A year from now I will be moving to Puerto Rico with my husband, I am Mexican...I hope I don't bump into any racist against my people.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:47 AM

2,875 posts, read 3,413,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcarher View Post
A year from now I will be moving to Puerto Rico with my husband, I am Mexican...I hope I don't bump into any racist against my people.
Good luck with that.

Mexicans and Puerto Ricans. . .oil and water.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:38 AM

58 posts, read 124,666 times
Its crazy...I think, but I am not peurto rician or mexican. But I have seen it first hand...they do not get along.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,154 times
Mexican's living in PR was bound to happen. We're all over the place, because we can and we have that right just like anyone else. Like someone else on this thread said, it's a much easier transition. plus, Mexico isn't the best place to be with all the drugs and kidnappings going on. I don't even like visiting Mexico but then again I was born and raised in Cali. I never knew that PR's didn't click with Mexican's until i joined the military. Why? To this day I don't know. I used to think all latino's were tight or whatever. Growing up I used to love all the latino baseball players regardless of where they came from. Some of my favorite players were from PR, like Roberto Alomar and Raul Mondesi from the Dominican Repulic etc. I guess not all latino's think that way. Kinda sad actually. To this day I try to be cool with all latino's. I see all the negro's clicked up and all the white dudes clicked up but latino's? Nah, we're too busy talking **** about each other to even think about being clicked up. I never understood that. It's cool to be proud about being Puerto Rican or Cuban etc. but don't sit there and talk trash about Mexican's because they don't have an education and want to do the job's that nobody else want's. Nobody is worthless and If that's what they choose to do then leave them alone. Maybe they're doing it because they don't want their kids to go through that same life and they'd rather suck it up. Who know's and honestly who care's?

My parents immigrated here and did things the right way. My dad used to sleep on trains going from AZ to Cali looking for work so not all Mexican's are scrubs. Dude owns 3 houses and took care of kids. I'm a jet engine mechanic and I've seen my share of lazy Puerto Rican's in my field for real. I've had to get into a few of their asses too. Are all PR's lazy? Hell nah, I've met some hard working PR's, mostly the one's that come straight from PR. There's lazy folks and hard working folks all over the world. We all gotta do what we gotta do to make it through the day, put food in our kids belly's etc.

Don't get caught up in who's doing what etc. Just do your thing, shut up and keep it moving. For the record, i do hate the fact that there are so many immigrants in Cali. I wish they'd all get deported to be honest because it's madness. I hate going home and seeing the hundreds of people at the store during the day time when they should be working or something. That's 1 reason I'll never live in Cali again. I'll visit for a few weeks but that's it.

Anyways, this is a touchy subject and will always be debated. You all have fun wasting your time on this. Adios.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:14 AM

241 posts, read 955,375 times
I find it funny that the PRicans on this thread have nothing against Mexicans. I guess we're not the kind of PRicans you're talking about? Then I find it hard to generalize an entire race. I'm sorry many Mexicans have had a hard time with PRicans (or vice-versa).

Of course, there is an entire sector of PRicans like me, so I guess, I don't know what to say. And one of my fellow classmates was Mexican. Go figure all the kids in my classroom got along with him when he came to PR.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcarher View Post
You will, but it won't be the same discrimination you'd get if you moved to a racist town in America. You'll definitely have some experiences, especially if you speak Mexican Spanish. If you speak no Spanish, then they'll just consider you an American.

Most Puerto Ricans don't have an inherent problem with Mexicans. but like I said, you'll run into things.

-I got pulled over once and the police officer was asking me questions and after listening to my accent for a while, he said, "eres mexicano" and i said, "si" and he laughed and said, in the WORST Mexican imitation ever, "ORALE WEY!"... and just laughed his ***** off. At least I didn't get a ticket.
-An 85 yr old Puerto Rican wanted me to sing Pedro Infante songs with him and told me I wasn't a real Mexican if I didn't know his songs. (To be fair, my parents have said the same thing)

I have many more, but those ones r one of the funniest.

There's not a lot of Mexicans on the island. Like I said, every 16th of September the Mexican Consulate holds a party for all the Mexicans on the island, and we all more or less fit in one banquet hall. Some are students, some are relocated by their companies, and a few come looking for work (which is laughable considering there's none to be had)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories