U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2010, 07:19 AM
 
Location: DF
758 posts, read 2,002,923 times
Reputation: 611

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Good luck with that.

Mexicans and Puerto Ricans. . .oil and water.
Aww Chacho, venga! You know that's not true! More like mustard and mayonnaise. We taste different, come from different ingredients, but we taste great on a sandwich together!


 
Old 08-15-2010, 09:30 AM
 
2,875 posts, read 3,413,830 times
Reputation: 4339
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Aww Chacho, venga! You know that's not true! More like mustard and mayonnaise. We taste different, come from different ingredients, but we taste great on a sandwich together!

Moderator cut: off topic
I don't know about the mustard and mayo analogy. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by RaleighLass; 08-17-2010 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: off topic per terms of service
 
Old 08-17-2010, 08:29 AM
 
Location: NC
4,534 posts, read 7,526,637 times
Reputation: 4743
What's the topic of this thread? Hmm, let me see, ah, it's "Mexicans Living in PR".

While your comments are giving me the warm and fuzzies let's just stay on topic - thanks!
 
Old 08-18-2010, 08:49 PM
 
3 posts, read 15,156 times
Reputation: 10
Yeah, there is a very small population living on the island, I think there are more Chinese living on the island though. And hello everyone. Brand spanking new here.
 
Old 08-19-2010, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Summerville
7,934 posts, read 15,377,309 times
Reputation: 1351
Welcome to City-Data Ultramatic
 
Old 08-25-2010, 03:51 PM
 
291 posts, read 669,507 times
Reputation: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-Ed View Post
I just had a friend return from visiting Puerto Rico and he told me that while he was there, he went shopping to several large grocery stores and he couldn't believe the number and variety of tortillas and taco shells that were for sale at numerous stores. He asked about this and was told that the island is starting to see Mexicans moving there and seting up shop. Have others noticed this and how widespread is Mexican immigration to Puerto Rico ? I know that a sizable number of Dominicans have moved to the island as well as Haitians, but I am surprised to hear that the island now has an influx of Mexicans.

The reason for tortillas and taco shells in grocery stores is simple Puerto Rico is a colony of the US ( shame on you). Mexicans dont eat taco shells.

Just like you have spam and velveta cheese on the shelves you will have what is also sits on American grocery shelves...not just Mexicans eat tortillas many Americans do as well. PR youth are weaned on Taco Bell and feel very comfortable eating gringo crunchy tacos. The whopper should be the island's national dish.
Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by RaleighLass; 08-26-2010 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: off topic comments against terms of service
 
Old 08-25-2010, 04:07 PM
 
291 posts, read 669,507 times
Reputation: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ounce View Post
Tacos have become popular worldwide.

When they made the Metro in San Juan they brought in some Mexican workers. There was a uproar. Do not really think there are many Mexicans. More Dominicans and Venezuelans. Cubans also Cubans.

Compared to the US, PR. is very expensive. And the pay is generally low. I do not think most Mexican or most immigrants would want to live in an expensive place and work for low pay. Why do you think many from PR. over the decades have gone to the US.
The Tren Urbano's infrastructure was built by a Mexican multinational construction company experienced in urban rail projects, that is why they brought in skilled Mexican workers.

The ignorance of those posting here is shocking here given Puerto Rican's poor gaudy image in the states...you have had many generations of being on the public dole and have lost self respect.

Last edited by PittNewbie; 08-25-2010 at 04:38 PM..
 
Old 08-25-2010, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Dorado, PR
241 posts, read 955,375 times
Reputation: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
The reason for tortillas and taco shells in grocery stores is simple Puerto Rico is a colony of the US ( shame on you). Mexicans dont eat taco shells.

Just like you have spam and velveta cheese on the shelves you will have what is also sits on American grocery shelves...not just Mexicans eat tortillas many Americans do as well. PR youth are weaned on Taco Bell and feel very comfortable eating gringo crunchy tacos. The whopper should be the island's national dish.

Moderator cut: off topic

@PTTNewbie:

This isn't the independence vs. statehood thread, you aren't supposed to demean others' political views.

Was not expecting the thesis on taco shells.

The Federal government provides the money for the welfare but it is up to the state to decide how to use it. Our own state government which we elected and our senate and representatives decided on making the welfare system what it is today. The US government is not entirely to blame.

The TU wasn't entirely built by a Mexican multinational, and I am surprised to learn this because never have I heard that uttered in the numerous docs I've read. What's it called?

Weren't their other engineers involved? PRican companies?

Siemens was in charge of overseeing everything.

Segundo Cardona (PRican) designed almost all the stations.

I hope this Mexican company wasn't responsible for the use of cheap materials which caused a cost overrun and THAT caused an uproar.

Last edited by RaleighLass; 08-26-2010 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: edited referenced post
 
Old 08-28-2010, 08:35 AM
 
2,875 posts, read 3,413,830 times
Reputation: 4339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco220 View Post
Mexican's living in PR was bound to happen. We're all over the place, because we can and we have that right just like anyone else. Like someone else on this thread said, it's a much easier transition. plus, Mexico isn't the best place to be with all the drugs and kidnappings going on. I don't even like visiting Mexico but then again I was born and raised in Cali. I never knew that PR's didn't click with Mexican's until i joined the military. Why? To this day I don't know. I used to think all latino's were tight or whatever. Growing up I used to love all the latino baseball players regardless of where they came from. Some of my favorite players were from PR, like Roberto Alomar and Raul Mondesi from the Dominican Repulic etc. I guess not all latino's think that way. Kinda sad actually. To this day I try to be cool with all latino's. I see all the negro's clicked up and all the white dudes clicked up but latino's? Nah, we're too busy talking **** about each other to even think about being clicked up. I never understood that. It's cool to be proud about being Puerto Rican or Cuban etc. but don't sit there and talk trash about Mexican's because they don't have an education and want to do the job's that nobody else want's. Nobody is worthless and If that's what they choose to do then leave them alone. Maybe they're doing it because they don't want their kids to go through that same life and they'd rather suck it up. Who know's and honestly who care's?

My parents immigrated here and did things the right way. My dad used to sleep on trains going from AZ to Cali looking for work so not all Mexican's are scrubs. Dude owns 3 houses and took care of kids. I'm a jet engine mechanic and I've seen my share of lazy Puerto Rican's in my field for real. I've had to get into a few of their asses too. Are all PR's lazy? Hell nah, I've met some hard working PR's, mostly the one's that come straight from PR. There's lazy folks and hard working folks all over the world. We all gotta do what we gotta do to make it through the day, put food in our kids belly's etc.

Don't get caught up in who's doing what etc. Just do your thing, shut up and keep it moving. For the record, i do hate the fact that there are so many immigrants in Cali. I wish they'd all get deported to be honest because it's madness. I hate going home and seeing the hundreds of people at the store during the day time when they should be working or something. That's 1 reason I'll never live in Cali again. I'll visit for a few weeks but that's it.

Anyways, this is a touchy subject and will always be debated. You all have fun wasting your time on this. Adios.
There are many points in your post which I understand based on personal experience. For starters I live in California and am all too familiar with the illegal immigration dilemma which affects this state. And as you, I too wish they'd get deported immediately for violating the law.

My perspective on Mexican/Puerto Rican relationships is also similar to yours. The only difference is that, when I first arrived in California, I had a sincere admiration for the Mexicans I met, regardless of whether they were legal or not. Why? Because 30 years ago - aside from being hard working - most Mexicans I met were proud of their herritage, yet there was a humble nobility about their character. Not all, but many displayed this characteristic. As a result, I found it rather easy - and desirable - to befriend several Mexicans. One such man has been my loyal friend for 28 long years. He's an educated man with solid principles. I am extremely proud to call this man one of my best friends.

Unfortunately, now a days I avoid interaction with contemporary Mexicans to the best of my abilities, especially the illegal ones. These do not resemble the proud, noble, yet humble Mexicans whom I so eagerly associated with 30 years ago. My experience with these younger Mexicans has been less than desirable. I especially cannot understand the mindset of the illegal ones who insist (or demand) that everyone around them speak Spanish and be accepting of illegal immigration. Worse yet is to hear an illegal Mexican demand rights at par with a U.S. Citizen, or to hear them claim "unfairness" when they or others get deported.

There are other variables which give one reason to disassociate from contemporary Mexicans. But as Flaco stated. . ."this is a touchy subject and will always be debated."
 
Old 08-29-2010, 05:10 PM
 
291 posts, read 669,507 times
Reputation: 277
Chacho Keva is feeding into this immigrant scare that is taking hold of the ignorant and weak during this financial fiasco caused by war mongering, greed and ignorance.

Puerto Ricans will be next so sit back and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top