U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2010, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Scranton
1,384 posts, read 2,801,120 times
Reputation: 1650

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
Chacho Keva is feeding into this immigrant scare that is taking hold of the ignorant and weak during this financial fiasco caused by war mongering, greed and ignorance.

Puerto Ricans will be next so sit back and enjoy.
^^^^^ A monkey with a typewriter can write posts that make more sense than this one.

 
Old 08-29-2010, 10:13 PM
 
2,880 posts, read 3,418,971 times
Reputation: 4342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
^^^^^ A monkey with a typewriter can write posts that make more sense than this one.
 
Old 04-10-2011, 05:57 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,476 times
Reputation: 11
I feel that for Mexicans to move to PuertoRico is a great idea, PuertoRico is Part of the U.S, and the main language is Spanish and English second, As we all Know PuertoRico is a tropical island and its not as tiny as some might think and most importantly Puertoricans dont look at skin color and are very friendly people, so why not? There are all kind of people living in PuertoRico, why not mexicans? all are welcome
 
Old 04-10-2011, 11:25 PM
 
2,880 posts, read 3,418,971 times
Reputation: 4342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobro1 View Post
I feel that for Mexicans to move to PuertoRico is a great idea, PuertoRico is Part of the U.S, and the main language is Spanish and English second, As we all Know PuertoRico is a tropical island and its not as tiny as some might think and most importantly Puertoricans dont look at skin color and are very friendly people, so why not? There are all kind of people living in PuertoRico, why not mexicans? all are welcome
I disagree 100%. First of all, how can you say that PR is not tiny? An island 100mi x 35mi is very small. Plus, there are almost 4 million inhabitants on the island as it is.

Isn't "Mexico" suppose to be so large, grandiose and immense? Why would Mexicans what to live on such a tiny island dependency when they have the world's 14th largest country with a vast amount of resources?
 
Old 04-11-2011, 09:29 AM
 
355 posts, read 617,603 times
Reputation: 611
Employment at all levels is scarce now, it isn't good to have an illegal immigrant population undercutting wages, in Puerto Rico or anywhere else.
 
Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 AM
 
Location: The Mid-Cities
1,083 posts, read 1,500,775 times
Reputation: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobro1 View Post
I feel that for Mexicans to move to PuertoRico is a great idea, PuertoRico is Part of the U.S, and the main language is Spanish and English second, As we all Know PuertoRico is a tropical island and its not as tiny as some might think and most importantly Puertoricans dont look at skin color and are very friendly people, so why not? There are all kind of people living in PuertoRico, why not mexicans? all are welcome
I fully agree with you. It should be implemented this instance
 
Old 04-11-2011, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Pereira, Colombia
1,225 posts, read 2,132,932 times
Reputation: 1337
No one is rushing to move to PR for the job prospects. I don't know why people on the island get so touchy about anyone moving there! After I get my Master's over here you think I want to work in a public school making $20,000 a year, private school making $10,000 a year, or teaching classes at 4 different universities to try to make ends meet? Hell no, I'm out.

Illegals are going to go where there is an abundance of opportunity in order to take the bottom rung and keep a low profile. Dominicans come to PR due to the convenience, thats about all. And as pointed out a lot of them move on anyway. Mexicans are not going to come by the thousands and settle in PR, chill out.
 
Old 04-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Status: "trump-city-data" (set 11 hours ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,696 posts, read 16,388,156 times
Reputation: 5919
I have Mexican family living in SoFla, many have married Puerto Ricans (Cubans, Brazilians, Hondurans as well) over many decades...and many of them go and live in PR legally without any issue. But it is not a Mexican destination imo.

Last edited by Mach50; 04-12-2011 at 12:22 PM..
 
Old 04-19-2011, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Aguadilla, PR
11 posts, read 26,194 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroy25 View Post
I know if I were in their shoes, going to PR would be a much smoother transition than going to say "Montana". Basically similar wages for similar work; possibility of cheaper living; similar climate; no language barrier with all of the same U.S. perks. Makes sense to me. I'm surprised there's not a million of them there.


Well first of all having been living here for a year i can say i havent met a single mexican person yet...however i live on the opposite side of the island from san juan in aguadilla...but still i dont think there are many if any illegal mexicans here in puerto rico...there may be some legal mexican immigrants that have moved here with their family such as a wife or husband etc....although the transition here in theory may be easier for them because they speak spanish that is about the only thing that would be easier for them....I am not Puerto Rican...I moved here with my husband who is Puerto Rican...but I have to say from being with him for over 20 years and 19 of that was in the states...he had puerto rican friends and mexican friends but the simple fact is that on average mexican people do NOT like Puerto Ricans and Puerto Ricans do NOT like mexicans....i dont want to start any race thing here because i hate that but i have heard this from both sides many many times over the years so it seems to be just a fact...as with anything there are always exceptions but as far as mexicans comming here illegally...well puerto rico does have a big immigration problem with dominicans and hatians because those islands are so close so they do have immigration officers in boats patrolling the coast ALL the TIME.....if they catch a boat they turn it right back around and send them home (that is what my husband tells me...he may be wrong) so so they wouldnt get in to begin with most likely...this is a relatively small island..it is not like the U.S. where all they have to do is get under the fence and dissappear into the millions of people in any state. If they did manage to get in they most likely would not like it here.....speaking spanish is about the only thing mexicans and puerto ricans do have in common...their cultures are completely different, their food is completely different, and even the way they speak spanish is different. Not only that but there are a couple of reasons mexicans sneak into the U.S. 1) smuggling drugs - we all know the troubles the united states has had trying to fight the war on drugs.....I dont think a lot of mexicans are comming all the way to puerto rico to smuggle in drugs..it just isnt happening
2) To work.....i know it seems strange especially in this economy but even though 90% of the american population is out of work there are thousands upon thousands of illegals working in the U.S. every day...why? because since they are illegal the employer knows they can pay them nothing, treat them like slaves, and do whatever they want because the illegal will never say anything for fear of being caught.....it doesnt make sense that they would be comming to puerto rico to find work because there is little to no work over here now and i cant tell you how many puerto rican people i know right now that are working for $5 an hour part time under the table just to put food on the table....it is wrong but you know as long as there are 500 applicants for every one job the employers know that they can offer $5 and someone will gladly take it and not complain but if puerto ricans are already working for under minimum wage then that doesnt leave anything for the illegal does it....
3) want to be a citizen....a lot of them do this when they become pregnant because they know if they have their baby on U.S. soil they will become a citizen automatically...also if an illegal goes to welfare office over in the states they will usually be given help even though they cant prove citizenship...here in puerto rico you have to have documentation a mile long for ANYTHING you want to do...an illegal from mexico would never get past the first step in most cases...nor would they be given services here anyway!
So i find it highly unlikely that there are tons of illegal mexican people here in puerto rico...there are probably some mexican people here who are not illegals and that is simply probably because they married someone from here like i did.
 
Old 09-03-2012, 07:08 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,842 times
Reputation: 16
Ricans have no right to be racist against Mexicans. Maybe you don't know the history. You say U wish Mexico was a 1st world nation and that most of them would go back to their country.....U live in California. What do you think California was before the US took over? Mexico!

I am Puerto Rican from New York and I can say Puerto Ricans are even worse. At least mexicans are hard workers no matter what type of work it is. Look at all the Puerto Ricans in New York and other parts of the east coast that live off welfare and SSI and are capable of working. They're lazy and low lives. Is this fair to say? I don't think so. So it is not fair to say the same about any other race. It's offensive and I'm not even Mexican.

If there are Mexicans living in Puerto Rico....great, help them out. This is why racism still exists and always will. It's ridiculous. To racist white people we are all spics, whether you're Rican, Mexican, Dominican, Salvi....etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top