Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:20 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray spikey View Post
I want to know something too. Are there any Costa Rican people and Guatemalan people living in Puerto Rico? becuase I'm mixed both Costa Rican and Guatemalan and I'm going to PR for vacation sometimes this year or next year and I was wondering will I see any people from Costa Rica and any from Guatemala in Puerto Rico???
I'm sure that if you look hard enough, you can pretty much find any combination of peoples in Puerto Rico.

Me personally, I knew one Costarican whom went to high school with me in PR.

But, wait a minute...if you're going to PR on vacation, why are you concerned about meeting people of your particular ethnic mix??? Isn't the whole point of vacationing in another land to become exposed to something different??? So, will you be disappointed if you don't find people of your particular ethnic mix during your vacation???

Hey, here's an idea...WHY DON'T YOU GO ON VACATION TO COSTA RICA OR GUATEMALA...OR BOTH??? YOUR $$$ WILL GO MUCH FURTHER OVER THERE AND YOU'LL BE COMPLETELY SURROUNDED BY THE PEOPLE YOU PROBABLY WON'T FIND IN PUERTO RICO!!! THINK ABOUT IT!!!

(I gotta stop drinking so much coffee in the morning!)

Old 10-04-2009, 10:16 PM

3 posts, read 12,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I'm sure that if you look hard enough, you can pretty much find any combination of peoples in Puerto Rico.

Me personally, I knew one Costarican whom went to high school with me in PR.

But, wait a minute...if you're going to PR on vacation, why are you concerned about meeting people of your particular ethnic mix??? Isn't the whole point of vacationing in another land to become exposed to something different??? So, will you be disappointed if you don't find people of your particular ethnic mix during your vacation???

Hey, here's an idea...WHY DON'T YOU GO ON VACATION TO COSTA RICA OR GUATEMALA...OR BOTH??? YOUR $$$ WILL GO MUCH FURTHER OVER THERE AND YOU'LL BE COMPLETELY SURROUNDED BY THE PEOPLE YOU PROBABLY WON'T FIND IN PUERTO RICO!!! THINK ABOUT IT!!!

(I gotta stop drinking so much coffee in the morning!)
Well I'm not really concerned of meeting people of my ethnic descent in PR I don't need to meet them, if I see them I'll just be like "cool there in PR too," its just, I just read some of the messages saying that they saw Mexican people in PR, and I've seen a few videos of PR and I saw some people from Mexico in them, and I thought to myself "I just saw some Mexican people in PR in this vid(s).?" So after I saw some of the videos, I was wondering is there a possibility of Costa Rican people and Guatemalan people in PR since there are some Mexican people in PR? becuase I know there are alot of Puerto Ricans in Mexico, Guatemala, and Costa Rica (well maybe not alot, alot) becuase I've actually seen it.

And I've already vacationed down in Guatemala and Mexico but not Costa Rica yet, I might vacation in Costa Rica some other time, the reason I'm going to PR is becuase I have a Puerto Rican friend who is going there to visit and he wants me to come with him, and I've also alwaysed wanted to visit PR someday to see how it was like, well since my friend invited thats my chance so I'm taking it.

And no I want be disapointed if I don't see anyone of my descent in PR, it don't really matter to me, I'm just asking are there any in PR, if I see any Mexicans or any other Latino/Hispanic people in PR thats enough for me.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:27 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
IT doesn't help that PR cannot make its own immigration policies. Everything rests with the federal government, and they're more focused on the US-Mexico border than they are with the Mona Canal border.
We have also significantly downsized the US Border Patrol force in Puerto Rico. There was an article about the struggles of the Border Patrol agents stationed in Puerto Rico trying to protect our borders with a shrinking duty roster and less equipment since they shifted everything to the Canadian and Mexican borders in TIME magazine not that long ago.

Quote:
The new arrivals are a whole other story. They're deplorable. I don't understand the mentality.
Agreed, it's almost like they are acting like an conquering country or something. They come here and they litterly think they can control everything by screaming racism until they get their way. They way they treat Blacks and darker skinned Hispanics is disgusting as well. Not to mention that their arrival is usually the end of the community they have moved into in terms of quality of life and education, crime, etc.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:15 AM

758 posts, read 2,240,758 times
Default Sad Ignorance exists among every group of people... not just among southern rednecks in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Yep. I think it's a sad thing. Most mexicans I know are always talking about the glories, the beauty, the wealth, and the largeness of Mexico. Yet, here they are moving to a tiny island which many of them talk bad about or simply despise for one competitive reason or another.

I've openly talked about this subject with mexicans in a sort of tit-for-tat tone. And of course, I've heard..."Oh please, don't tell me there aren't any Puerto Ricans living in Mexico?" My response..."Sure. There are probably a few. But, I bet you there are far more mexicans in Puerto Rico than there are Puerto Ricans in Mexico." End of the conversation!

I live in Southern California, better known as northern Mexico. While I DO know a handful of decent mexicans whom I consider good friends, the fact is that the majority of the ones I've met are "less-than-desirable" people. I sincerely feel that this is so unfortunate.

They are such a hard working people with - in my opinion - a ton of potential. But unfortunately, many of them are not interested in higher education or vocational training. They prefer to cut grass day and night under 98 degrees of heat before getting an education. They take great pride for such arduous labor to the point where it seems to be a badge of honor for them. There's a running joke around here amongst contractors. They say..."you don't have to pay a mexican to dig the ditch. You have to pay them to STOP digging the ditch."

Areas in which they are predominant tend to degrade rapidly. Southern California is not what it use to be three decades ago due to the enormous influx of illegal immigrants predominantly from Mexico.

I wished like hell that Mexico was a first world nation. This would give many of them reason to return to their homeland which so many are so deeply proud of. Unfortunately, the corruption in Mexican society runs way too deep and is darn near impossible to get rid of.
First of all... there are SOME Mexicans in Puerto Rico, but they are few and far between. Mexico does have a consulate in San Juan, but it is by far the loneliest consulate I have ever been to. Most here have opened up restaurants. I imagine there are just as many Chinese people on the island as there are Mexicans. As residents of the island (i imagine you are or were at one point since you talk with such authority) you and I both know that work opportunities are limited even for those who are absolutely skilless and wish to work for less than the minimum wage.

I find your comments and opinions about Mexicans insulting, but not surprising. My mother is Mexican, father is Cuban and I was born in Mexico, but raised in Southern Florida and finished HS and college in PR. I know the differences between Caribbean and mainland (mexican, central american, south american).... so I am all too familiar with the conflicts and the clashes that happen between the two ethnic groups, and the ignorance that such ideas are born out of. It's idiotic, but I am familiar with it.

There's decent people in all ethnic groups. Maybe the reason you don't know a lot of decent Mexicans is because in your ignorant mindset, you don't make an effort to get to know too many of them. Kind of sad because most Mexicans actually love Puerto Rican music, and artists, etc... and without Mexican fans many of them wouldn't even have a career... but here you go giving them the middle finger anyway.

That being said... the response to this thread is:
No there are not that many of us on the island. The ones that are here are usually restaurant owenrs, or ones who married puertoricans and came to live with their spouses. There's some students at UPR as well. The rest I guess just like living in PR. ON the 15th of Sept, the Mexican consulate holds an event and it attracts all the Mexicans on the island.... usually a large dance hall holds them all, just to give you an idea how big the community actually is. We don't face much discrimination here either. We generally get a long with the rest of the population.

I admit, we're not a perfect people and we got some statistics against us, but that's mostly due to poverty, not a genetic predisposition to be criminals or day laborers. It wasn't more than 20 yrs ago when PuertoRicans were considered the poorest ethnic group in the U.S. and being puertorican carried all the same stigma that being Mexican has nowadays. Be a little open minded and get out of your ignorant thought bubble, and quit watching Lou Dobbs.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:21 PM

515 posts, read 1,059,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claret72 View Post
I doubt that any Mexicans, illegal or otherwise would be moving to a very small crowded island with 15% unemployment.
And how would they get there? It's not's like they can just wade their across the Rio Grande. Lol

Old 10-07-2009, 04:15 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
And how would they get there? It's not's like they can just wade their across the Rio Grande. Lol
- expired visa
- smuggled on board ships (the Shenegan Agreement abolished border controls so there are no inspections).

Old 10-07-2009, 08:14 AM

758 posts, read 2,240,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
There are some in Spain for sure.
Most economic immigrants to Spain are from South America (mainly Ecuador and Argentina, but a sprinkly of others), some Dominicans, and the rest are Africans and/or Asians. Mexicans in Spain are usually the rich Mexicans who can afford to have houses in Europe, etc, or travelllers.

The bulk of the economic migrants from Mexico head to the U.S. and recently Canada.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:49 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito502 View Post
Mexicans are racist as hell, im central american and i can say the most discrimination i have ever experienced in my life has not been from white or blacks but from Mexicans....They give Latinos a bad image..
My friend is an illegal Mexican living in Spain..professional but cant get her papers legalized. And yes, she hates Colombians and other latinos too.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:40 PM

10,080 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Most economic immigrants to Spain are from South America (mainly Ecuador and Argentina, but a sprinkly of others), some Dominicans, and the rest are Africans and/or Asians. Mexicans in Spain are usually the rich Mexicans who can afford to have houses in Europe, etc, or travelllers.

The bulk of the economic migrants from Mexico head to the U.S. and recently Canada.
Here is one Mexican living in Spain that I really really like!

Old 11-01-2009, 01:33 AM

34 posts, read 94,489 times
we all now the reason why they wanna be in PR and it's because of our women!!! i'd do the same if i was living around a bunch of women with no curves,booty and feminine beauty!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories