Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 03:03 PM

658 posts, read 847,663 times

Advertisements

because of tropical storm Erika. All of the info I found about the storm say it's weakening, but that PR and USVI should still be on the look out for it. Those who live in PR, are you all alarmed by the storm at all? I am set to come there next week to the LaConcha Resort, but I have to make a decision by tomorrow in order to get all of my money refunded. The whole next week there's been a 30% chance of rain predicted. I just don't know what to do- cancel or just go and hope for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 04:01 PM

74 posts, read 284,276 times
At this time Erika is suppose to pass directly over parts of Southern Puerto Rico has a Tropical Depression next Friday morning. That means heavy rains which could bring floods. They expect 3 to 8 inches of rain but even more depending on the storms path. But the wind should not be a big problem. It should be clear but really hot on Saturday. One thing, if there is a river near that Beach Hotel you are staying then the ocean water in front of the beach might get debris and muddy plenty of muddy water which flowed downriver because of the flood waters.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ounce View Post
At this time Erika is suppose to pass directly over parts of Southern Puerto Rico has a Tropical Depression next Friday morning. That means heavy rains which could bring floods. They expect 3 to 8 inches of rain but even more depending on the storms path. But the wind should not be a big problem. It should be clear but really hot on Saturday. One thing, if there is a river near that Beach Hotel you are staying then the ocean water in front of the beach might get debris and muddy plenty of muddy water which flowed downriver because of the flood waters.
Thanks so much for your reply.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:28 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,376,742 times
I haven't been concerned about personal danger if that is what you mean. If your concern is whether or not the weather will be bad, it definitely sounds like we are in for some heavy duty rain. It is the rainy season anyway and when it rains here it really really rains! I have told friends who wanted to visit that I would recommend not coming in Sept or Oct. People who have lived here longer than I have could better answer your question though.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:30 AM

Well....
I cancelled the trip. When are good times to visit? what is the weather like in November and December?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:51 PM

74 posts, read 284,276 times
The closer you get to december the less hot. But december it does get kind of expensive to fly here. Try November. And bring your Off repellent since with all this rain mosquitos will multiply. Supposedly, there has been a dengue fever watch for sometime. Mosquitos carry it. Dengue fever is called Break-bone fever since once you come down with it you will feel get very bad aches.

There was an article on it last month in MSNBC:
Dengue fever surging in Puerto Rico - Infectious diseases- msnbc.com

And when it comes to H1N1 it seems not much is being mentioned in PR. but they say there have been many who have come down with it.

The following is from Aug. 28 from the CDC:
Quote:
Most state health officials are reporting regional or sporadic influenza activity. Two states (Alaska and Georgia) and Puerto Rico are reporting widespread influenza activity at this time. Any reports of widespread influenza activity in August are very unusual.

Almost all of the influenza viruses identified were the new 2009 H1N1 influenza A viruses. These 2009 H1N1 viruses remain similar to the viruses chosen for the 2009 H1N1 vaccine and remain susceptible to antiviral drugs (oseltamivir and zanamivir) with rare exception.
Got info. from this site: CDC H1N1 Flu | Situation Update

Old 09-03-2009, 01:35 PM

I think anytime from November through April is really nice weather wise. The airline tickets do go way up around the holidays, though. It's so funny to me but many people here think the beach is too cold in the winter so they aren't as crowded. The weather is in the 70s. There are also a lot of really nice Christmas traditions around here you might find interesting even though the tickets are more then, same with Fat Tuesday.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:20 PM

You all are gems! Thanks so much for your advice!

Old 09-04-2009, 11:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
You all are gems! Thanks so much for your advice!
You must be kicking yourself now for canceling. Erika turned out to be not much of anything and the sun is starting to come out now after a drizzly grey morning - no doubt PR's going through pretty much of the same! The reality is that even if these depressions and tropical storms come directly overhead they're gone within 24 hours. Hope you have a great time and wonderful weather when you re-book!

Old 09-05-2009, 06:23 PM

We had rain for the better part of two days but no flooding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories