Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 08:12 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,375,946 times

Advertisements

What do you like the most and the least about living in a U.S. Territory?

To keep it more positive please list up to 5 things you like and limit dislikes to 3. I'll start. My territory is Puerto Rico.

Most

1. sunsets/clouds - the clouds especially are incredibly beautiful here
2. scenery - awesome foliage. I love how some bushes/trees have multiple colors of flowers growing on them.
3. music - top notch. I love salsa!
4. gift wrapping - they wrap gifts here in such a way as to make it into a work of art
5. beaches - I love the gentle waves for swimming on the south side of the island. It's almost like a swimming pool rather than the ocean.

Least

1. Food - I don't know what kind of fat is used to fry everything in but between that and the ever present mayonnaise/thousand island dressing - it tastes so bad and is so unhealthy!
2. High crime rate
3. Bureaucracy - getting anything done is such a monumental effort here.

Last edited by Sandhillian; 10-08-2009 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 10:18 AM

758 posts, read 2,240,124 times
1. Baseball- Man I love baseball.
2 Surfing- Fajardo and Luquillo on weekdays during Hurrican season (when the tourists stay away) is the best.
3 El Yunque Nothing beats hiking the jungle.
4 Nightlife Partying till 5am can't be beat.
5 It's like living in the U.S. but still being in a foreign country- it's really cool for me, since I love exploring, but also love the creature comforts of recognizable fast food stores, wal marts, ample parking, etc.

1. Tapones- I can't stand traffic in the greater San Juan area. I feel like I live in my car sometimes. So much congestion. Seems like they should raise taxes and fees on car so that more people would be driven to public transport.
2. Crowded Beaches- It seems that on the weekends, everyone and their whole family heads for the best beaches. fortunately, I've found my own secluded ones where I just share the waves with a couple fishermen.
3. Crime- It's not seriously violent or dangerous crime, but I've had my phone stolen from my car about 3-4 times. I even put it in the glove or put it under my seat, I come back from running... boom, it's gone. My house has been robbed once but I wasn't there. They took a bunch of petty crap... but still feels ugly being robbed.

I would put lack of job opportunities, but I got a pretty good one, so I'm ok. But it is a problem.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:07 PM
ncc

95 posts, read 304,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
What do you like the most and the least about living in a U.S. Territory?

To keep it more positive please list up to 5 things you like and limit dislikes to 3. I'll start. My territory is Puerto Rico.

Most

1. sunsets/clouds - the clouds especially are incredibly beautiful here
2. scenery - awesome foliage. I love how some bushes/trees have multiple colors of flowers growing on them.
3. music - top notch. I love salsa!
4. gift wrapping - they wrap gifts here in such a way as to make it into a work of art
5. beaches - I love the gentle waves for swimming on the south side of the island. It's almost like a swimming pool rather than the ocean.

Least

1. Food - I don't know what kind of fat is used to fry everything in but between that and the ever present mayonnaise/thousand island dressing - it tastes so bad and is so unhealthy!
2. High crime rate
3. Bureaucracy - getting anything done is such a monumental effort here.
Good Post!, but where on the South Coast do u swim? I've been to La Playuela in Cabo Rojo and the Cayos off of La Parguera. Next trip I'm going to Caja de Muertos and Vieques.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:32 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,375,946 times
Thanks, NCC. I'll send you a DM.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:59 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Pros:
- you don't have to be loaded to have a good time.
- taxes are very low compared to the mainland states.
- you will love any of the 5 US territories if you are a summer or a beach person.

Cons:
- very little diversity, 90%+ of the indigenous population is of the same race/ethnicity.
- crime
- poverty
- corruption and incompetence in the local government and police forces.
- cost of living can be a bit higher.

Puerto Rico is the prime example of how not to run a place. Ive met some people who have been waiting for years to get something as simple as telephone poles put in place so they can get electricity without having to depend on solar power or wind generated power. Why? Because the local strongman wants his under the table bribe from the gringos before they can get their telephone poles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories