U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 03:58 PM

518 posts, read 945,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
The friendliest people in PR live on the mountain. A lot of people in the cities (San Juan, Ponce) are stressed out and ready to pick a fight with whoever comes across. In the small towns of the mountain, people are more laid back, and a whole lot friendlier. Barranquitas is such a town. It is small, rural, cool throughout the year, and has an annual arts and crafts festival that draws people from around the island. Aibonito is very nice too.

If you're looking for a relaxing and friendly atmosphere, any of the towns within the outline will work. And major cities are just an hour away.

Who ever reads this post would imagine most people in San Juan or Ponce function like defensive folks living in american ghettos.

The bottom line is that people are people. You find really nice and politite ones, like the majority who live in Puerto Rico, and you find lemons, not many, but still......

What I do find in Puerto Rico is that they are friendly with strangers, however different from past times, they rarely invite you into their homes unless you're family, or close friends. Spanish may ease them up more, but not always.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 11:50 PM

4 posts, read 2,100 times
I appreciate your tips about living in PR. I'm thinking of living there because my daughter and family are moving there, to Dorado. I'd like to live in the mountains but not too far away, maybe half and hour at the most.

I'm going there in a few weeks for a week to look around, so any suggestions would be great.

I'm 76, in good health, and speak Spanish.

Do I need to own a car, or are there public transportations that could take me from my village to Dorado or San Juan when I need to go?

You up for chatting about this?

Lanny AT lcotler.com
707-367-1812

Old 01-13-2018, 08:37 AM

2,482 posts, read 1,715,632 times
Lanny, I have family in Vega Baja ( near Dorado) and they still don't have electricity since hurac√°n Maria hit.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 482 times
Heard Rincon is a surf town where living is cheap when I lived in Hawaii. How cheap to buy or rent a house/Apt on or close to beach? Is there a marina or moorings close by? Wondering about availability of shopping, healthcare, etc...
Is it a good place to retire on a small income? Is it a good place to operate a beach rental type of business? How about a Bar/Rest or Guest House? something pick up some extra money for not too much investment?
How about things to do other than surf, which I don't do? How is the fishing? Are there Art/music festivals, other cultural events, Farmers/crafts markets?

Old 07-12-2018, 06:43 PM
mym

632 posts, read 911,780 times
there's a marina in rincon and one in boqueron too

the coastal communities got hurt by the hurricane. not sure what prices are but a lot of beachfront property was ruined.

shopping, there's a mall in mayaguez and one in aguadilla. supermarkets and bakeries are plentiful.

healthcare? i got stitched up at the hospital in isabella once. good for first aid. real healthcare is in hospitals in mayaguez like Bella Vista and that would be a drive. not sure what they got in aguadilla nowadays. not a place to go to if you expect to need care in my opinion. unfortunately.

the town was packed with tshirt shops and beach glass jewery shops and other touristy stuff. not sure how many survived but it seemed saturated.

you need a boat to go fishing in rincon.

rincon has all kinds of cultural stuff. markets at night at the plaza. craft markets and artist stuff. although all my knowledge is pre-Maria.

i think you should visit before you jump. good luck

Old 07-14-2018, 10:39 AM

328 posts, read 185,503 times
you get what you pay for

Old 07-14-2018, 03:37 PM

1,700 posts, read 854,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
you get what you pay for

Before the Hurricane, everything was great........it is expected that it is going to take time to get back to what it was......always looking for a chance to knock them down, right......!!!!

Old 07-14-2018, 03:43 PM

328 posts, read 185,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Before the Hurricane, everything was great........
Really? I heard they had massive debt they couldn't pay back, and crime everywhere. Before the hurricane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories