U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2012, 01:37 PM
 
80 posts, read 410,314 times
Reputation: 80

Advertisements

Also, get a Puerto Rican license.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2012, 09:51 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,262 times
Reputation: 10
Where is that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 03:24 PM
 
25,058 posts, read 25,659,965 times
Reputation: 11728
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfpint19 View Post
Where is that?
About 3 hours' drive north of Brisbane, Australia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 02:01 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,725 times
Reputation: 10
Default yes you can

Wow, I can't believe how ignorant my fellow Puerto ricans are. Of course you can apply for Puerto Rican citizenship
Its totally legitimate. You have to go to Puerto Ricos state department to apply. You need to be born there or have one
Parent who was it reside on the island for a year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,801 posts, read 9,333,071 times
Reputation: 7345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithius View Post
Wow, I can't believe how ignorant my fellow Puerto ricans are. Of course you can apply for Puerto Rican citizenship
Its totally legitimate. You have to go to Puerto Ricos state department to apply. You need to be born there or have one
Parent who was it reside on the island for a year.
It's just a document they issue to make the Soberanistas and Independenistas feel special. It has zero significance. No nation recognizes it.

Try traveling on it and see what happens.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2015, 06:50 PM
 
6 posts, read 7,056 times
Reputation: 16
Default I know this is old.. but it is just too wrong.

i know this old; however, all the comments are so very wrong. I will make a list to explain it all.

1. There is no such thing as Puerto Rican Citizenship only US citizenship!
Answer: Wrong! There is most defiantly Puerto Rican Citizenship and you must have been born on the island or born to someone who has it. The comments about anyone can get it if they live a year on the island is also WRONG that would be residency which is NOT Citizenship.

2. You must give up your US citizenship to get Puerto Rican citizenship
Answer: Wrong! puerto Rican Citizenship is secondary to US Citizenship IE. to exercise your rights as a Puerto Rican Citizen you must by default be a US Citizen and you can not revoke your US citizenship with the intent to use the Puerto Rican Citizenship as coming and going or even living anywhere within the us and its territories without ristriction is a right of a US citizen only!

3. No country on earth recognizes it!!
Answer: Wrong!!! Spain in fact does recognizes it and it is a requirement if you wish to take advantage of the expedited Spanish Citizenship offered to people from certain south American countries which it counts Puerto Rico as but not puerto Ricans born in the main land unless they acquire Puerto Rican citizenship.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2015, 07:07 PM
 
11,048 posts, read 4,573,309 times
Reputation: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots1982 View Post
i know this old; however, all the comments are so very wrong. I will make a list to explain it all.


3. No country on earth recognizes it!!
Answer: Wrong!!! Spain in fact does recognizes it and it is a requirement if you wish to take advantage of the expedited Spanish Citizenship offered to people from certain south American countries which it counts Puerto Rico as but not puerto Ricans born in the main land unless they acquire Puerto Rican citizenship.


LMAO!!!! The Planet has 196 countries and only 1 recognize the Puerto Rican Citizenship?......i'm sure when a Puerto Rican gets into political or legal trouble while in Spain they could go to the Puerto Rican Embassy in Spain or call the Puerto Rican Ambassador to Spain ....ohh such a thing doesn't exist...... err,....nevermind!


the Puerto Rican citizenship is more of a meaningless symbol for the independentistas and soberanistas of the island, that is the closest thing they are going to get to their Republic.


for the 95% of Puerto Ricans, all we need and care about is our U.S. Citizenship and U.S. Passport.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2015, 08:13 PM
 
6 posts, read 7,056 times
Reputation: 16
Hellion,
I guess you need a history lesson. The Foraker Act in 1900 established the civilian government but did not grant us citizenship. The lack of citizenship was a problem for those born in PR as they were not Spanish like their parents and they were not US Citizens. In those days traveling was easier and a passport not required as long as you had documents to prove who you were and where you were from. The PR citizenship granted such a document and it was needed as these people were effectively stateless. In 1917 they passed the Jones Act which granted US Citizenship to all PR's as a whole. for the 17 year period there was no document except the document issued by PR. After the Jones Act the need for PR citizenship was gone and it did not reappear for another 20 years.

When in 1927 the PR citizenship reemerged it was not an accident or to make you feel good, it had real serious political motivations. The PR citizenship is also motivated as a record keeping tool. The document for citizenship is also a very important tool if you wish to renounce your US citizenship and live as a stateless person as this certificate of citizenship will be most valuable as a proof of identity and make transversing borders easier (I wouldn't recommend it as it is hard no matter how much Identification you have if you do not have the protection of a country). It does serve as a tool for gaining Spanish citizenship. Its purpose when it was brought back had nothing to do with how you feel about your simple self so you can drop the stupid comments and sarcasm as it only served to make you look like a fool. Educate yourself and show some damn pride for your heritage and history.

For the record I am not even puerto Rican and I know more about PR history than you and I obviously have more pride in its heritage than you, so, you should be throughly shamed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2015, 08:30 PM
 
11,048 posts, read 4,573,309 times
Reputation: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots1982 View Post
Hellion,
I guess you need a history lesson. The Foraker Act in 1900 established the civilian government but did not grant us citizenship. The lack of citizenship was a problem for those born in PR as they were not Spanish like their parents and they were not US Citizens. In those days traveling was easier and a passport not required as long as you had documents to prove who you were and where you were from. The PR citizenship granted such a document and it was needed as these people were effectively stateless. In 1917 they passed the Jones Act which granted US Citizenship to all PR's as a whole. for the 17 year period there was no document except the document issued by PR. After the Jones Act the need for PR citizenship was gone and it did not reappear for another 20 years.

When in 1927 the PR citizenship reemerged it was not an accident or to make you feel good, it had real serious political motivations. The PR citizenship is also motivated as a record keeping tool. The document for citizenship is also a very important tool if you wish to renounce your US citizenship and live as a stateless person as this certificate of citizenship will be most valuable as a proof of identity and make transversing borders easier (I wouldn't recommend it as it is hard no matter how much Identification you have if you do not have the protection of a country). It does serve as a tool for gaining Spanish citizenship. Its purpose when it was brought back had nothing to do with how you feel about your simple self so you can drop the stupid comments and sarcasm as it only served to make you look like a fool. Educate yourself and show some damn pride for your heritage and history.

For the record I am not even puerto Rican and I know more about PR history than you and I obviously have more pride in its heritage than you, so, you should be throughly shamed.


thanks for the history "lesson" but we are in 2015 not in 1900.....Many things have passed from Congress about Puerto Rico since 1900. Everything you copy and pasted is documented and you have ignored other acts from congress and the U.S. SUPREME COURT rulings the law of the land in P.R.

the rest of your post is laughable about pride and heritage and questioning me about it when you don't even know me, out of line my friend............if you dont like other people's opinions especially from Puerto Ricans about Puerto Rico you are in the wrong forum.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2015, 08:50 PM
 
6 posts, read 7,056 times
Reputation: 16
First, I believe you mean to say "many things have passed"; yet, you really don't know what they were or you would have mentioned it. The Supreme court has ruled against Puerto Ricans not for them for instance Balzac v. Puerto Rico, 258 U.S. 301, 1922, Harris v. Rosario, 446 U.S. 651, 1980). IgartĂșa v. U.S (2010). As for acts of congress the last would be the 1940 Nationality Law which granted Us citizenship as a natural born citizen to those born in PR after its signing date and would be considered Naturally born citizens. Another note is that someone born in PR can NOT be president because they were born in a territory and this creates a second class citizen scenario which is why someone may wish to exercise PR citizenship as a statement and protest... but you already knew all this right because its 2015?

I was not out of line and it is not laughable you should be ashamed and I know all I need to know about you to form an opinion which is that you are a disgrace to your people. The FACTS are not opinions and can never be opinions when you state wrong facts they are still wrong and this is another reason you should go educate yourself before speaking.

Do you wish to get schooled again?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top