Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:18 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono983 View Post
Yeah... I had classmates whose parents are hatian, and they also were nice people. They knew like 4 languages. English french spanish creole.

If Haitians get on a boat and come to Florida, do they get a free green card?

I know that Cubans get a green card for free + federal food stamps + federal housing when they touch U.S. Soil...
I went to high school with three Haitian boys. Two of them were twins. They lived in my subdivision. They were among my favorite persons to hang out with in high school(I didn't really hang out with alot of people in high school outside of school). Being thought of as "the Black kid who acts White" by some of my classmates and getting vilified by a few of them for it, hanging out with my Haitian friends made me very happy. They were very adamant about staying in school and getting a good education as well as going to college. They had some honors classes. They were also very talented. They were in band(I don't know if it was marching band or orchestra band). Hanging around them was cool because in many ways, they were a bit like me.

As for Haitians coming off of the boat and getting green cards for free, I don't think that is the case. If they get detained, then the answer is most likely no.

As for the Cuban population, well, I know many are prided on their "work ethic" and working hard and making it. Well, I will give them that. With that said, they were given that opportunity to come, to flee Castro, to get jobs, food stamps, and other things they needed to have a better life. Many sent their children to Catholic schools. They were coming for a better life and given a relatively fair shot at it. The Haitians were not given such a fair shot. Haiti has been having alot of political problems and especially with Papa Doc and Baby Doc. Whenever people from Haiti were sailing on the boats and landed in Florida, they got detained and treated as illegal aliens. Pretty bad consider that Haitians were fleeing political persecution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 03:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless99 View Post
They should relocate them en masse to Puerto Rico, and not mess up the American mainland and heartland with these people.
You are a bit too late! The American mainland is ALREADY MESSED UP!!!!! Look around.......................

Old 01-24-2010, 12:30 PM

445 posts, read 1,071,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I have donated and I am praying. If Haitians come to the USA, they come. Many other immigrants come hear. Why not Haitians?
Exactly! Give them a chance, just like everybody has a chance.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:30 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,136 times
Quote:
I have donated and I am praying. If Haitians come to the USA, they come. Many other immigrants come hear. Why not Haitians?
In a word, AIDS. Haiti has one of the highest AIDS rates going.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
AIDS is a new phenomenon. Haitians were not being give the same advantage long before AIDS got to the scene. And what about those who don't have AIDS?

Haiti has an AIDS rate around 2 to 3 percent, believe it or not.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscogeeButterfly View Post
Exactly! Give them a chance, just like everybody has a chance.
Those same classmates of mine, their family came to this nation, and made it. Their father is a minister.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:17 AM

86 posts, read 241,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
and south america doesn't? honest to God, some of you people will use any argument to support your agendas. That's almost like saying Americans shouldn't be allowed to visit or move to other countries because...gasp, Americans have some of the highest AIDS rates going.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte View Post
and south america doesn't? honest to God, some of you people will use any argument to support your agendas. That's almost like saying Americans shouldn't be allowed to visit or move to other countries because...gasp, Americans have some of the highest AIDS rates going.
Good point. And another thing to think about is: How do you know people from any other part of the world doesn't have AIDS. AIDS is a pandemic, as in, it is all over the world, even in wealthy nations.

Sad as it is, Haiti has been mostly forgotten by the world, until stuff like Papa Doc, Baby Doc, and the earthquakes happen. The wet foot dry foot policy never applied to Haiti. Why? Haiti is a Black nation. Cuba is not. This was before AIDS came to the scene.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:00 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
I dont see PR specifically being over-run with Haitians, but I do so DR being inundated with Haitians. There will be a Haitian diaspora probably across the US and Caribean, and to a lesser extent South America. PR specifically though, I don't see becoming a major Haitian locale.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:15 AM

758 posts, read 2,240,957 times
Quote:
I went to high school with three Haitian boys. Two of them were twins. They lived in my subdivision. They were among my favorite persons to hang out with in high school(I didn't really hang out with alot of people in high school outside of school). Being thought of as "the Black kid who acts White" by some of my classmates and getting vilified by a few of them for it, hanging out with my Haitian friends made me very happy. They were very adamant about staying in school and getting a good education as well as going to college. They had some honors classes. They were also very talented. They were in band(I don't know if it was marching band or orchestra band). Hanging around them was cool because in many ways, they were a bit like me.

As for Haitians coming off of the boat and getting green cards for free, I don't think that is the case. If they get detained, then the answer is most likely no.

As for the Cuban population, well, I know many are prided on their "work ethic" and working hard and making it. Well, I will give them that. With that said, they were given that opportunity to come, to flee Castro, to get jobs, food stamps, and other things they needed to have a better life. Many sent their children to Catholic schools. They were coming for a better life and given a relatively fair shot at it. The Haitians were not given such a fair shot. Haiti has been having alot of political problems and especially with Papa Doc and Baby Doc. Whenever people from Haiti were sailing on the boats and landed in Florida, they got detained and treated as illegal aliens. Pretty bad consider that Haitians were fleeing political persecution.

That's awesome to hear a great success story about Haitians. I've NEVER met any in Puerto Rico, only a couple in Miami. I recently returned from Haiti on paramedic duty... it's pretty tragic. Compared to Haiti, Santo Domingo is a first world country. I've even been to some African countries better off than Haiti.

As for the poster above... you can't really compare Cuban migration to Haitian migration. Cubans have many many advantages to Haitians even before migrating to the U.S. When the wave of Cuban migration that carried my father to PR happened, it was mostly wealthy, upper class people fleeing the exprorpiationist policies of Castro. As the middle and lower classes remained in Cuba, the Soviet Union invested heavily in education and heavily in law enforcement. Many Cuban immigrants are thus very educated and don't have the wherewithall for crime...

The Haitian story is quite different. Help to Haiti has always been a trickle, and within the country, many people turn to clandestine activities to eek out a meager living. Illiteracy is rampant. The Haitian immigrant that accomplishes a middle class lifestyle in the U.S. is a rockstar... because the odds are against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories