Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:37 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
That's awesome to hear a great success story about Haitians. I've NEVER met any in Puerto Rico, only a couple in Miami. I recently returned from Haiti on paramedic duty... it's pretty tragic. Compared to Haiti, Santo Domingo is a first world country. I've even been to some African countries better off than Haiti.

As for the poster above... you can't really compare Cuban migration to Haitian migration. Cubans have many many advantages to Haitians even before migrating to the U.S. When the wave of Cuban migration that carried my father to PR happened, it was mostly wealthy, upper class people fleeing the exprorpiationist policies of Castro. As the middle and lower classes remained in Cuba, the Soviet Union invested heavily in education and heavily in law enforcement. Many Cuban immigrants are thus very educated and don't have the wherewithall for crime...

The Haitian story is quite different. Help to Haiti has always been a trickle, and within the country, many people turn to clandestine activities to eek out a meager living. Illiteracy is rampant. The Haitian immigrant that accomplishes a middle class lifestyle in the U.S. is a rockstar... because the odds are against them.
I am very happy for their success story. I recently talking to one of them a few weeks ago about the earthquake and Haitian history. There were things I never knew. Haiti was basically boycotted and leached off of and not just by those on the inside. The colonies surrounding Haiti boycotted Haiti because it was a Black republic that gained its independence through a slave rebellion. The French government at that time(Napoleon's time) made Haiti pay a debt for what happened. Ironic considered the Haitians were the ones who were slaves. I will admit there were internal problems, but Haiti was also economically hurt from outside sources. None of that happened to Cuba. Cuba had slaves, but nothing was done to Cuba that was done to Haiti. Cuba had alot of support from outside, such as the USSR. I will give you that Cuba had some help so it is better off compared to Haiti.
One thing I forgot about was the fact that many Cubans who came to the USA were middle to middle-upper class. Still, the Cuban immigrants were still given more assistance than with Haitian immigrants. As for my friends, I don't know what their parents had to go through, but I imagine it was scary. They left probably during Baby Doc. And then to come to the USA as Black people. In many ways, it would be harder for them. Coming from a country that is economically and politically under distress and dictatorship. And then coming to the USA is the hard part because there is no "wet foot dry foot" policy for Haitians. Then getting here, as Black people, there are other issues to think about. I would definitely agree that immigrating to the USA for Haitians has been harder. In fact, I know quite a few Haitian students at my university. I see success stories like this. People willing to work for what they want, no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 06:32 PM

749 posts, read 920,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puertoricanyoruba01 View Post
your prediction was right, Haitian immigration to PR has been skyrocketing recently, At this point there is probably more Haitians then Dominicans. I read somewhere that PR is about 95% ethnic Puerto Ricans, and 5% everything else, mainly Dominican and Haitian immigrants, and non-Puerto Rican US citizens. Though, with a rising Haitian and Dominican immigrant population, and dwindling native Puerto Rican population, this may change.

Sure, the Coast Guard eyes are shut to anything that is not GREEN, that is why we have so many Dominicans, and now Haitians?

How about going straight to Texas, lots of jobs and space......

Old 09-22-2014, 09:16 AM

10,086 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am very happy for their success story. I recently talking to one of them a few weeks ago about the earthquake and Haitian history. There were things I never knew. Haiti was basically boycotted and leached off of and not just by those on the inside. The colonies surrounding Haiti boycotted Haiti because it was a Black republic that gained its independence through a slave rebellion.
The colonies couldn't do anything, but their mother countries certainly did. However, Haiti also isolated itself, which didn't help.

Also the fact that Haiti for many years had an anti-white policy didn't quite helped in smoothing relations with white nations, which were (and still are) most of the rich countries that could had helped Haiti tremendously. Haiti had laws that prohibited whites from owning anything in its country (this didn't help in attracting direct foreign investment) until the USA invaded in 1915 and modified the constitution to allow white people to own property there. This created a new economic boom as direct foreign investment flowed into Haiti, mainly US investors focused on agricultural developments.

Then the Duvalier dictatorship started with its focus on Noirisme (black power or black supremacy; its also fair to say that this resurgence of black supremacy was in part due to some abuses the Americans did in Haiti including the audacity of opening a whites only social club in the capital of the first black republic of the world), and his encroachment on the white minority and a good chunk of the mulatto minority (the two groups that had developed most of the Haitian economy) caused many whites/mulattoes to flee. A lot of large businesses either failed or were confiscated by the government and then given to political cronies who, due to inexperience, caused the businesses to fail. Duvalier also did absolutely nothing to stop the massive deforestation of the mountains of Haiti; and this has been a major adverse factor that has impacted small Haitian farmers as Haiti's rain patterns began to be affected, effectively turning large swathe of the country into a semi-desert and there are areas (such as the Gonaives vicinity) that has become an actual desert. Duvalier destroyed much of the industrial and export-oriented agricultural sectors of Haiti and in the process stunted Haiti's economic potential from which the country has yet to recover.

There were some policies that were imposed, mostly by the USA, such as the opening of the Haitian market to cheap American imports; and the killing of the native pigs due to some disease that affected them and replaced them with an American 'race' of pigs that were not fully genetically compatible with the climate of Haiti. This had an adverse effect in Haiti's basic agro-industrial sectors, but I personally think Haitians put too much weight to this considering that many want to say that this was the sole reason that caused that sector to collapse. The only reason I put some doubt to this is that in neighboring Dominican Republic the same policies were put in place by the USA and the Dominicans were able to better handle the effects than the Haitians have. But, its also true that the Dominicans never attacked their entrepreneurial class, nor did the Dominicans ever did anything to dissuade foreign investors from investing in the country; and, perhaps most importantly, the Dominicans were not subjected to as many trade embargoes as Haiti has been. But, the embargoes were all created due to the political situation in Haiti, so I guess Haiti has some fault in that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner
The French government at that time(Napoleon's time) made Haiti pay a debt for what happened. Ironic considered the Haitians were the ones who were slaves.
The Haitian government, under the Jean Pierre Boyer dictatorship, on its own decided to seek French recognition of their independence and on its own agreed to assume the 100 million francs debt in exchange for the recognition of Haitian independence. France later reduced the debt to 60 million francs, but the point is that the Haitians were the one's that initiated contacts with France and the Haitians were the one's that agreed to assume the debt and to pay it. This move by Jean Pierre Boyer was VERY unpopular on the island. The Haitians in the western part felt insulted that their own government would seek and then agree to pay for an independence that cost so many lives; while the Dominicans, who were under Haitian rule at that time, flatly refused to pay the tax that was meant to finance the debt alleging that they were never subjects of France and, as such, they didn't owe anything to anyone. This was also another insult to the pride of the Dominicans, who already were not too happy with many other actions the Haitian government had made against them on top of the constant abuses the Haitian military officers imposed on the civilian population. Also the fact that the agreement between Haiti and France clearly stipulates that the Haitian government would collect the funds from the French part of the island and the ports in the French part of the island were to be open to free trade with France. This points to another fact and that is that the Haitian invasion of the Dominican part was not internationally seen as legitimate, hence France's insistence that only the French part of the island should had been concerned with the payment of the debt and the Spanish king demanding Jean Pierre Boyer to return to Spain what was hers because Spain had not recognized the Dominican independence of 1821 and so this meant that the Haitian military invasion of 1822 was against Spain, but Boyer constantly rebutted the claims by the Spanish.

I will tell you one thing though, the first president of France to ever visit Haiti was Sarkozy and he did so in the aftermath of the 2010 earthquake that devastated large parts of Port-au-Prince and other Haitian towns. He agreed to help Haiti in the rebuilding process and even 'promised' to rebuild the Haitian National Palace. Its 2014 and nothing has been done! According to rumors, Sarkozy asked his aides to give him a short resume of Haitian history and once they got the part of the anti-French ethnic cleansing that took place in Haiti from 1791 to 1804, especially the 1804 massacre, supposedly Sarkozy never mentioned Haiti ever again.

Quote:
I will admit there were internal problems, but Haiti was also economically hurt from outside sources. None of that happened to Cuba. Cuba had slaves, but nothing was done to Cuba that was done to Haiti. Cuba had alot of support from outside, such as the USSR. I will give you that Cuba had some help so it is better off compared to Haiti.
Cuba was never anti-white (the Haitian flag is based on the French flag, but the Haitians ripped the white color from the flag to signify the exclusion of the whites from the Haitian nation, that's a powerful reminder of Haiti's racial policies from the day of its birth and it undoubtedly impacted how the rest of the world treated them; not to mention that the anti-white massacres didn't help either), it never put in place policies that effectively scared potential foreign investors, and its political history has been much more stable than Haiti's.

Haiti has been quite belligerent towards white people and light-skin mixed race people for most of its history. People can say that the origin of Haiti explains this belligerence and that is true, but Haiti took things beyond its borders too which displeased and down right scared all of its neighbors. Look at this New York Times article published in 1859 (the second article, scroll down) where the Haitians were preparing to invade the Dominican Republic for the 8th time with the intention of wiping out the Dominican population, which at that time consisted mostly of whites (Spaniards) and light-skin mixed race people. IMPORTANT FROM HAYTI. - View Article - NYTimes.com

The Haitians had already committed a widespread massacre against the Dominicans in 1805 and had spent much of the years before that time constantly harassing and threatening the Dominicans, including mass abuses during the Haitian domination of 1822-1844 and previous bloody invasions attempts in 1844, 1845, 1849, 1856, and now in 1859. Its no surprise that in 1861, two years after the Haitians attempted to invade the Dominicans with the purpose of bloodily annihilating them from the face of the earth, the Dominicans invited the Spanish government back and became a province of Spain. The only territory in the Western Hemisphere that after gaining its independence from the mother country, later decided to return. But, the Dominicans understood that their lives were in danger and that the only way Haiti would stop menacing them is with a strong government in place, something they were not able to achieve on their own. The Dominicans had already asked for help from powerful countries such as the USA, France, and Britain (http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...B4678389649FDE) in an attempt of averting the invasion of 1859; but given that not much was able to be done, their only hope was joining in full force a foreign power. After the Spanish re-annexation failed, the Dominicans attempted to unsuccessfully annex themselves to other countries too.

That didn't helped matters at all for Haiti's future.

Quote:
Still, the Cuban immigrants were still given more assistance than with Haitian immigrants.
Yes, that is definitely true. The U.S. should definitely give Haitians a much better hand, especially considering that many Haitians actually fought and died during the U.S. war of independence. Sure, at the time Haiti was a colony of France and the Haitians sent to fight the British and help the Americans were sort of ordered to go without asking if they wanted to, but at the end of the day the Haitians helped the Americans (and the Colombians). The least they could do is give Haiti an even bigger helping hand. Its perfectly understandable that in the past, due to Haiti's anti-white racism, Americans were not too eager to help; but, Haiti is no longer anti-white racist as it once was, even if there is still some resentment among a segment of the population there.

Quote:
And then coming to the USA is the hard part because there is no "wet foot dry foot" policy for Haitians.
I think Cubans are the only people in the world that have that policy put in place for them.

Quote:
I would definitely agree that immigrating to the USA for Haitians has been harder.
Its very hard for Haitians to migrate anywhere, not just to the USA.

The Jamaican government promised to accept Haitian refugees and offered its national health system to assist Haitians after the 2010 earthquake, but as soon as Haitian refugees started to arrive in rickety boats and canoes to Jamaica's shore, the Jamaican government basically shut its doors to Haitians by deporting most of them under the claim that Jamaica has limited resources and that it was not going to spend much money helping them. This despite the suppose 'solidarity' the Jamaican government professed a few days after the earthquake.

In the Bahamas there is widespread anti-Haitian feelings mostly because Bahamians feel that illegal Haitian immigration has been so large that their country is overwhelmed by them.

In the Turks and Caicos Islands Haitians are quickly rounded up and deported, many are blamed for all the bad things in those islands.

In much of the rest of the Caribbean there is an anti-Haitian sentiment as well, especially in the French West Indies.

In neighboring Dominican Republic, which due to geography is the country has been flooded the most with Haitians, a large percentage of Dominicans have yet to pardon the Haitians for all the sufferings previous Haitian governments put the Dominican population through for practically a century. To those historical resentments (some recent study suggest that traumatic experiences actually affect the genes of the victims and the phobia is actually passed from one generation to another, its quite possible this is what is happening among the Dominicans) must be added the typical rejection of Haitians that is present in other Caribbean societies that were never abused by Haiti, because there is no question that this rejection (aside from the historical resentments) are also present in the Dominican Republic.

Brazil had invited Haitians to move there after the earthquake, but as they started to get a few thousands immigrants they closed their borders to Haiti and increase the deportations. Ecuador, which has a president that claimed to be a friend of Haiti, has also toughen its immigration policies towards Haitians. Panama, which recently signed an agreement of easing immigration requirements for Haitians, much more recently has reverted this action by imposing even more requirements for Haitians.

In short, Haitians are squeezed between a spade and a wall.

The only country that is still offering land and all sorts of help for any Haitian that migrates there is Senegal, but there's an Ebola outbreak out there. I can't imagine many Haitians willingly moving there if they know of the Ebola epidemic. The president of Senegal claimed that since a large percentage of Haitians are descendants of Senegalese, they have a right to go back 'home' and Senegal has a wide open door policy towards them. There is literally no requirements what-so-ever for Haitians that want to move there. But, again, the Ebola situation probably isn't helping; not to mention that Senegal is very far from Haiti. Haitians like to migrate to countries in the Americas, close to their homeland.

Last edited by AntonioR; 09-22-2014 at 09:40 AM..

Old 09-22-2014, 10:19 AM

10,086 posts, read 14,959,511 times
As for Haitian immigration to Puerto Rico, everything points to a further skyrocketing.

The main problem is that most of the illegal Haitian immigrants that the Dominican economy could had absorbed are already absorbed, so any additional migrants are not going to have much luck finding work in the DR and most are probably not too fond of the idea of returning to Haiti. This probably explains why the numbers of Haitians migrating to Puerto Rico via the Dominican Republic has been skyrocketing in the past few years, in addition to a continual yearly decline of Dominicans attempting to migrate to Puerto Rico. According to some news reports, Haitians already make up most of the illegal immigrants caught in the Mona Passage en route to Puerto Rico. Unless the Dominican authorities are able to get a handle on the illegal immigration from Haiti into their country by better controlling the border, the migration flow into Puerto Rico will only get worse.

The biggest problem is that the Dominican economy doesn't have much extra space for the new Haitian immigrants, considering that most have very little education and due to that qualify basically only for menial jobs. Wages in the Dominican Republic are actually rising faster than in Puerto Rico, but if there's not much space for extra illegal immigrants than it doesn't matter if the gap in wage levels between DR and PR gets smaller. Poorly educated Haitians also have better work ethics, and work hard for significantly less money, than their Dominican counterparts, so there's much room for finding jobs in Puerto Rico as they displace the Dominicans that currently occupy many of the menial labor in PR. Also, for some reason most Haitians tend to be much more submissive compared to their Dominican counterparts who complain and react when they think they are being abused; so, this submissive nature of the Haitians is another 'advantage' compared to their Dominican counterparts and will further help in them displacing the Dominicans from the menial jobs in PR.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:10 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,904,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
I am predicting that Puerto Rico is going to have MASSIVE Haitian immigration. Your opinions, please.
Haitians have always been migrating to Puerto Rico (PR). This is nothing new.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:11 PM

Dominicans are the biggest immigrant group in PR.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The colonies couldn't do anything, but their mother countries certainly did. However, Haiti also isolated itself, which didn't help.

Also the fact that Haiti for many years had an anti-white policy didn't quite helped in smoothing relations with white nations, which were (and still are) most of the rich countries that could had helped Haiti tremendously. Haiti had laws that prohibited whites from owning anything in its country (this didn't help in attracting direct foreign investment) until the USA invaded in 1915 and modified the constitution to allow white people to own property there. This created a new economic boom as direct foreign investment flowed into Haiti, mainly US investors focused on agricultural developments.

Then the Duvalier dictatorship started with its focus on Noirisme (black power or black supremacy; its also fair to say that this resurgence of black supremacy was in part due to some abuses the Americans did in Haiti including the audacity of opening a whites only social club in the capital of the first black republic of the world), and his encroachment on the white minority and a good chunk of the mulatto minority (the two groups that had developed most of the Haitian economy) caused many whites/mulattoes to flee. A lot of large businesses either failed or were confiscated by the government and then given to political cronies who, due to inexperience, caused the businesses to fail. Duvalier also did absolutely nothing to stop the massive deforestation of the mountains of Haiti; and this has been a major adverse factor that has impacted small Haitian farmers as Haiti's rain patterns began to be affected, effectively turning large swathe of the country into a semi-desert and there are areas (such as the Gonaives vicinity) that has become an actual desert. Duvalier destroyed much of the industrial and export-oriented agricultural sectors of Haiti and in the process stunted Haiti's economic potential from which the country has yet to recover.

There were some policies that were imposed, mostly by the USA, such as the opening of the Haitian market to cheap American imports; and the killing of the native pigs due to some disease that affected them and replaced them with an American 'race' of pigs that were not fully genetically compatible with the climate of Haiti. This had an adverse effect in Haiti's basic agro-industrial sectors, but I personally think Haitians put too much weight to this considering that many want to say that this was the sole reason that caused that sector to collapse. The only reason I put some doubt to this is that in neighboring Dominican Republic the same policies were put in place by the USA and the Dominicans were able to better handle the effects than the Haitians have. But, its also true that the Dominicans never attacked their entrepreneurial class, nor did the Dominicans ever did anything to dissuade foreign investors from investing in the country; and, perhaps most importantly, the Dominicans were not subjected to as many trade embargoes as Haiti has been. But, the embargoes were all created due to the political situation in Haiti, so I guess Haiti has some fault in that too.

The Haitian government, under the Jean Pierre Boyer dictatorship, on its own decided to seek French recognition of their independence and on its own agreed to assume the 100 million francs debt in exchange for the recognition of Haitian independence. France later reduced the debt to 60 million francs, but the point is that the Haitians were the one's that initiated contacts with France and the Haitians were the one's that agreed to assume the debt and to pay it. This move by Jean Pierre Boyer was VERY unpopular on the island. The Haitians in the western part felt insulted that their own government would seek and then agree to pay for an independence that cost so many lives; while the Dominicans, who were under Haitian rule at that time, flatly refused to pay the tax that was meant to finance the debt alleging that they were never subjects of France and, as such, they didn't owe anything to anyone. This was also another insult to the pride of the Dominicans, who already were not too happy with many other actions the Haitian government had made against them on top of the constant abuses the Haitian military officers imposed on the civilian population. Also the fact that the agreement between Haiti and France clearly stipulates that the Haitian government would collect the funds from the French part of the island and the ports in the French part of the island were to be open to free trade with France. This points to another fact and that is that the Haitian invasion of the Dominican part was not internationally seen as legitimate, hence France's insistence that only the French part of the island should had been concerned with the payment of the debt and the Spanish king demanding Jean Pierre Boyer to return to Spain what was hers because Spain had not recognized the Dominican independence of 1821 and so this meant that the Haitian military invasion of 1822 was against Spain, but Boyer constantly rebutted the claims by the Spanish.

I will tell you one thing though, the first president of France to ever visit Haiti was Sarkozy and he did so in the aftermath of the 2010 earthquake that devastated large parts of Port-au-Prince and other Haitian towns. He agreed to help Haiti in the rebuilding process and even 'promised' to rebuild the Haitian National Palace. Its 2014 and nothing has been done! According to rumors, Sarkozy asked his aides to give him a short resume of Haitian history and once they got the part of the anti-French ethnic cleansing that took place in Haiti from 1791 to 1804, especially the 1804 massacre, supposedly Sarkozy never mentioned Haiti ever again.

Cuba was never anti-white (the Haitian flag is based on the French flag, but the Haitians ripped the white color from the flag to signify the exclusion of the whites from the Haitian nation, that's a powerful reminder of Haiti's racial policies from the day of its birth and it undoubtedly impacted how the rest of the world treated them; not to mention that the anti-white massacres didn't help either), it never put in place policies that effectively scared potential foreign investors, and its political history has been much more stable than Haiti's.

Haiti has been quite belligerent towards white people and light-skin mixed race people for most of its history. People can say that the origin of Haiti explains this belligerence and that is true, but Haiti took things beyond its borders too which displeased and down right scared all of its neighbors. Look at this New York Times article published in 1859 (the second article, scroll down) where the Haitians were preparing to invade the Dominican Republic for the 8th time with the intention of wiping out the Dominican population, which at that time consisted mostly of whites (Spaniards) and light-skin mixed race people. IMPORTANT FROM HAYTI. - View Article - NYTimes.com

The Haitians had already committed a widespread massacre against the Dominicans in 1805 and had spent much of the years before that time constantly harassing and threatening the Dominicans, including mass abuses during the Haitian domination of 1822-1844 and previous bloody invasions attempts in 1844, 1845, 1849, 1856, and now in 1859. Its no surprise that in 1861, two years after the Haitians attempted to invade the Dominicans with the purpose of bloodily annihilating them from the face of the earth, the Dominicans invited the Spanish government back and became a province of Spain. The only territory in the Western Hemisphere that after gaining its independence from the mother country, later decided to return. But, the Dominicans understood that their lives were in danger and that the only way Haiti would stop menacing them is with a strong government in place, something they were not able to achieve on their own. The Dominicans had already asked for help from powerful countries such as the USA, France, and Britain (INTERVENTION IN HAYTI. - MESSAGE From the President of the United States, Mission of R. M. Walsh to the Emperor Soulouque. - View Article - NYTimes.com) in an attempt of averting the invasion of 1859; but given that not much was able to be done, their only hope was joining in full force a foreign power. After the Spanish re-annexation failed, the Dominicans attempted to unsuccessfully annex themselves to other countries too.

That didn't helped matters at all for Haiti's future.

Yes, that is definitely true. The U.S. should definitely give Haitians a much better hand, especially considering that many Haitians actually fought and died during the U.S. war of independence. Sure, at the time Haiti was a colony of France and the Haitians sent to fight the British and help the Americans were sort of ordered to go without asking if they wanted to, but at the end of the day the Haitians helped the Americans (and the Colombians). The least they could do is give Haiti an even bigger helping hand. Its perfectly understandable that in the past, due to Haiti's anti-white racism, Americans were not too eager to help; but, Haiti is no longer anti-white racist as it once was, even if there is still some resentment among a segment of the population there.

I think Cubans are the only people in the world that have that policy put in place for them.

Its very hard for Haitians to migrate anywhere, not just to the USA.

The Jamaican government promised to accept Haitian refugees and offered its national health system to assist Haitians after the 2010 earthquake, but as soon as Haitian refugees started to arrive in rickety boats and canoes to Jamaica's shore, the Jamaican government basically shut its doors to Haitians by deporting most of them under the claim that Jamaica has limited resources and that it was not going to spend much money helping them. This despite the suppose 'solidarity' the Jamaican government professed a few days after the earthquake.

In the Bahamas there is widespread anti-Haitian feelings mostly because Bahamians feel that illegal Haitian immigration has been so large that their country is overwhelmed by them.

In the Turks and Caicos Islands Haitians are quickly rounded up and deported, many are blamed for all the bad things in those islands.

In much of the rest of the Caribbean there is an anti-Haitian sentiment as well, especially in the French West Indies.

In neighboring Dominican Republic, which due to geography is the country has been flooded the most with Haitians, a large percentage of Dominicans have yet to pardon the Haitians for all the sufferings previous Haitian governments put the Dominican population through for practically a century. To those historical resentments (some recent study suggest that traumatic experiences actually affect the genes of the victims and the phobia is actually passed from one generation to another, its quite possible this is what is happening among the Dominicans) must be added the typical rejection of Haitians that is present in other Caribbean societies that were never abused by Haiti, because there is no question that this rejection (aside from the historical resentments) are also present in the Dominican Republic.

Brazil had invited Haitians to move there after the earthquake, but as they started to get a few thousands immigrants they closed their borders to Haiti and increase the deportations. Ecuador, which has a president that claimed to be a friend of Haiti, has also toughen its immigration policies towards Haitians. Panama, which recently signed an agreement of easing immigration requirements for Haitians, much more recently has reverted this action by imposing even more requirements for Haitians.

In short, Haitians are squeezed between a spade and a wall.

The only country that is still offering land and all sorts of help for any Haitian that migrates there is Senegal, but there's an Ebola outbreak out there. I can't imagine many Haitians willingly moving there if they know of the Ebola epidemic. The president of Senegal claimed that since a large percentage of Haitians are descendants of Senegalese, they have a right to go back 'home' and Senegal has a wide open door policy towards them. There is literally no requirements what-so-ever for Haitians that want to move there. But, again, the Ebola situation probably isn't helping; not to mention that Senegal is very far from Haiti. Haitians like to migrate to countries in the Americas, close to their homeland.
Peru & Chile have many Haitian in immigrants as well!

Old 09-23-2014, 08:33 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,804 times
So NOT happening.
Not so easy to gather the scratch to fly to mainland.. plus you need some ID.
Haitians would be better off staying in Haiti and growing weed for export as the day will soon come when pot will be legal everywhere except what's left of the Muslim world.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That was my #1 thought as well...the DR will be flooded with Haitians.

------------

This is an enormous tragedy though...funny how self-interests pop up....I hope that isn't common sentiment of Haiti's neighbors...rather than compassion, just this dread a refugee might show up.
DR is already over flooded with Haitians.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:31 AM

Haiti is pretty mixed and diverse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories