Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 04:42 PM

36 posts, read 101,754 times

Advertisements

Hi:
My company ask me if I would be interested to moved
to PR. It will be around San Juan (Caguas?).
I need inputs in how is live there, prices compare to the
USA etc.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 09:39 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,286 times
It is pretty expensive to live here. Groceries and utilities are a lot more than in the states. Housing is cheaper but not as much as you would think. Traffic everywhere, but especially in the San Juan area, is a nightmare. Crime is also very high. These are things to think about when you come out (and you should) to visit before deciding.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:00 AM

177 posts, read 959,025 times
Things are relative and your view on prices depends where you are coming from. PR is expensive if you are moving from the middle-America, but not so much when compared to California and North-East. Food prices are comparable to your regular super market prices, but the selection is less. 1 kWh = $0.2123.

Traffic is everywhere, but there are ways to get around it. You do what you would in any metro area, travel outside of the high rush hour which is from 8 to 9 AM, and 4 to 6 PM.

Things to get used to:
1) living in gated communities
2) mix of extreme poverty and rich, generally island is poorer than the mainland states
3) poor road conditions
4) people are not as considerate as you are used too
5) insane bureaucracy
6) poor quality medicare system

What is easy to get used too
1) island is absolutely gorgeous (outside of the metro area)
2) weather is very nice
3) "lets do this tomorrow" mentality

Old 01-25-2010, 05:37 PM

Thank you for the responses.
I'm in New England, Boston area.
I will try to visit before I decide to move there.
Thanks again and if somebody has more input
they will be welcome.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:59 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
Caguas is near the metropolitan area of San Juan, so if you live and work in that area, traffic is not going to be such a big issue.
Most of what has been said by the other ppl is true , however, if they transfer you with all the benefits that big co's usually give an "expatriot" it will turn out OK for you. This will cover a lot of the items that are going to make a difference for you.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:30 PM

Thank you again.
I will be moving with all the benefits plus a little bit more. they will pay for the move too.
I guess I will take a trip first to see and decide.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:40 AM

101 posts, read 325,666 times
We came to PR on a "3 month" assignment that's lasted 7 months so far, and really can't complain too badly.

First, weather is gorgeous. most of the vendors I talk to are abased in New England, our home office in Mid South, and all are under about 8 inches of snow ++ about now. I"m in my skivvies with the windows open listening to the neighborhood roosters. This time of year, highs in mid 80's, lows in low 70's, rinse, repeat.

Food/Groceries can be spotty, not near the variety you would see in the mainland. The biggest thing we've had to adjust to is the diet. Lived in Asia for 7 years got used to fresh seafood and a big variety of veggies. I know this is an island but where's the fresh seafood???? That having been said, we still eat well for under 80 bucks a week, not counting lunches out and our one or two dinners a week out.

Prices at nicer restaurants, I'm still getting used to. Problem is, I've not lived in Mainland US for 7 years either, so I'm probably in for a big shock when I get there too. But, some of the independent nicer places have GREAT food!! Otherwise, you have all the fast food places, Caguas has the usual suspects, plus Macaroni Grill, Johnny Rockets, I think Tony Roma's. There's a Wal-Mart Supercenter, a couple of shopping malls, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc. Sort of a suburb of San Juan from the way I would describe it.

Beware the electric rates. But then again, if you get used to not using aircon except maybe during the summer for sleeping, you shouldn't be using much.

People complain about the traffic and driving, even our plant manager who is Puerto Rican and lived in the US for several years and just returned to P.R. I don't find the driving any worse than anyplace else, but then again, I've been driving in China for the past several years, so it's all relative.

I can't say much about housing costs, we're living in what amounts to one half of one unit of a four family private house. (one of the apartments was split in half, making ours a one bedroom apartment) in a little country side cul-de-sac where everyone on the street is related. This is in the Aguadilla Borinquen area, just south of Base Ramey. Company pays the housing direct and supplies car. Was in Caguas recently, checking out the Jardines Botanical, and it seemed to have a lot of nice gated communities. If you're commuting to San Juan though from Caguas, rotsa ruck. Looks like traffic will be a pain on Hwy 1 and hwy 52.

Unfortunately, I'll be moving up to Mainland US in a month or so, but if the company offered me the same sort of package I had working overseas, I'd stay here in a heartbeat.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:27 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
Smile Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by txiko View Post
Thank you again.
I will be moving with all the benefits plus a little bit more. they will pay for the move too.
I guess I will take a trip first to see and decide.
Sounds like they are doing things right so that you accept.
Paying for the move is standart in most co's who want /need you there.
Try to get them to pay for your car also, and take it there, you will do better than buying there. The cars are more expensive there plus the tax tht you pay is higher. You do have to pay taxes on a car that you import, but if it's an used car your pay according to the year.
Most ppl who are transferred there enjoy it and some stay for longer times than they originally intended to.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:12 PM

46 posts, read 143,198 times
From someone who just got OUT of there... DO NOT move to Puerto Rico!

Old 02-18-2010, 06:09 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBoost View Post
From someone who just got OUT of there... DO NOT move to Puerto Rico!
Can you please elaborate on your answer, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories