Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 5,483 times

Advertisements

I have had a job interview and have done extensive research on STX. I am married with 2 kids. I cannot find alot of information on raising children on the island. They are 10 and 3. any info will be helpful. Also, the job I am looking at will pay about 52k a year, is this enough to support a family there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 01:48 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klangl View Post
I have had a job interview and have done extensive research on STX. I am married with 2 kids. I cannot find alot of information on raising children on the island. They are 10 and 3. any info will be helpful. Also, the job I am looking at will pay about 52k a year, is this enough to support a family there?
I'll post your question on my Facebook fan page. Follow this link to see the responses:

Eveything and anything Virgin Islands | Facebook

Old 03-11-2010, 05:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
You could also take a look at USVI Moving Center - The Ultimate Resource for Relocating to and Living in the Virgin Islands which has tons of information on relocation issues including moving stories, general COL expenses along with an active forum. The education for your children might be a problem. The public schools in the USVI leave a lot to be desired and the better education is in the private schools which are quite expensive. Honestly, $52K pa won't go far here, but good luck with your research!

Have you done a pre-move visit? I'd firmly suggest one before you make any decision. Cheers!

Old 03-11-2010, 01:28 PM

737 posts, read 2,586,818 times
Unless you plan to home school or can afford private school, I personally wouldn't consider the public ed. system here.

However, if this is a contract job and you'll only be here for a pre-determined amount of time, I would probably consider giving the kids another outlook on life.

STTResident is always giving the same info: do a pre-move visit and rightly so! Make the time, spend the money before you commit.

You can make it on the salary you're suggesting (a LOT do fine with less) but it is really about the creature comforts that you are willing to sacrifice. By the way, unless something changed recently, you cannot get a mortgage here through your State-side banking relationships, so you may plan on renting unless you're paying cash.

Good Luck!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:03 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Unless you plan to home school or can afford private school, I personally wouldn't consider the public ed. system here.

However, if this is a contract job and you'll only be here for a pre-determined amount of time, I would probably consider giving the kids another outlook on life.

STTResident is always giving the same info: do a pre-move visit and rightly so! Make the time, spend the money before you commit.

You can make it on the salary you're suggesting (a LOT do fine with less) but it is really about the creature comforts that you are willing to sacrifice. By the way, unless something changed recently, you cannot get a mortgage here through your State-side banking relationships, so you may plan on renting unless you're paying cash.

Good Luck!
Yes, I do sound like a broken record in advocating a PMV but I do so particularly where children are concerned.

And I beg to disagree that $52K p/a on STX will support a family of four when the children are either of school age or close to it. You contradicted yourself on that issue when you said, "Unless you plan to home school or can afford private school, I personally wouldn't consider the public ed. system here."

The OP has a 10 year old who is going to be at a particularly vulnerable age entering the public school system and a 3 year old ready for kindergarten.

He might indeed make do on $52K/year as a single but with a wife and two children to support I don't see the figures meshing at all.

Sorry, OP, internal disturbances going on here! I sincerely wish you all the best so ask on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories