U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:00 PM

35 posts, read 66,028 times

Advertisements

^^^Thats not true and Im intelligently not going to waste any time or thought in correcting it AGAIN.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 12:35 PM

353 posts, read 968,221 times
Notepad, joelaldo actually gave a good impression on how the "racial" concept is dealt with in PR. I find it almost impossible to believe that you haven't heard somebody here in PR say something like "ese es de Carolina y por eso es caco" or "ese negro no sabe lo que está hablando" or a scene like the one joelaldo described. I've actually heard this and other phrases from different people. So I cannot deny that, although very very subtle, there IS some level of racism in PR. People don't directly talk about it and it isn't a usual topic of conversation, but racism do exist in PR. It's just that in the end, nobody really care about your color.

Now, the fact that there hasn't been a black governor IS an issue. Come to think of it, the first non-white candidate I can think of is the one from the "Partido del Coquí" (forgot the party name), and he's not actually black. Now, when I say "white", I'm speaking entirely on skin color, neglecting completely any genetic makeup. I assume the joelaldo is using the term "white" in this manner.

Now, if we use "white" as Notepad wants to use it, as in white/caucasian, then no, there haven't been a governor like that in PR. Only maybe during the first years of USA occupation, when the governor was appointed by USA.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:39 PM

35 posts, read 66,028 times
PR is the least racist place on earth, or at least one of the least. Can you deny that efrenb5? from what youve seen or heard or read about other places and comparing it to the same to PR?
I cannot deny that, which is one of the greates things about PR, everyone is equal.
And you said "caco de carolina" that means "rapper from carolina" and has nothing at all to do with whether the person is black like a black american, and has everything to do with the fact that reggaeton and rap in PR began and became notoriously famous in the municipality of Carolina in the 90s.

And when you say "negro" thats just describing a person, his feture of dark skin, not any racist term use, like saying woman or tall or fat.

And theres only ONE kind of white, which is the type prominent in American white, not your fake wannave wishful thinking made up PR white which is actually just, well, Hispanic beige, like italians o arabs or something, but NOT white. NONE of the past governorns can slip into the KKK or any Aryan group. Any of them moving into a real white neighborhood in america would be "the diversity". So no, no governors have been white NOR black, theyve all been the hispanic beige. They would all not fit in in the all white US Senate, pale white, white hair, white as white as american european white, not your PR white.

And finally, in America, racism flourishes, segregation is almost universal in America, from schools to neighboirhoods to the piint that its really like 2 different types of americans completely, black and white, that doesnt exist here, but what do you know, despite the rampant racist attitudes of americans,theres a black peresident, which doesnt make america less racist than PR, maybe less racist than america was 50 years ago, but america is not even close to becoming as colorblind, as PR is.

PR is the most colorblind place on Earth.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:36 PM

9 posts, read 18,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notepad View Post
PR is the least racist place on earth, or at least one of the least.

And theres only ONE kind of white, which is the type prominent in American white, not your fake wannave wishful thinking made up PR white which is actually just, well, Hispanic beige, like italians o arabs or something, but NOT white. NONE of the past governorns can slip into the KKK or any Aryan group. Any of them moving into a real white neighborhood in america would be "the diversity". So no, no governors have been white NOR black, theyve all been the hispanic beige. They would all not fit in in the all white US Senate, pale white, white hair, white as white as american european white, not your PR white.

And finally, in America, racism flourishes, segregation is almost universal in America, from schools to neighboirhoods to the piint that its really like 2 different types of americans completely, black and white, that doesnt exist here, but what do you know, despite the rampant racist attitudes of americans,theres a black peresident, which doesnt make america less racist than PR, maybe less racist than america was 50 years ago, but america is not even close to becoming as colorblind, as PR is.

In the United states senate there are 97 Caucasian, 3 Hispanic, 1 is an African American, and 2 are Asian and Pacific Islander.... so you are wrong about the senate.
Now, please tell me where in america racism flourishes, where do you get your extremely prejudiced view of america from?

Old 03-27-2010, 01:18 PM

450 posts, read 803,677 times
Exclamation Role of Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by benice66 View Post
Pills, condoms? How about practicing MORALS?
How about the role Religion plays on this Island, which is 97% Catholic? Does the Catholic Religion allows Pills, Abortion, and Condoms to be used freely.................?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:58 AM

353 posts, read 968,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notepad View Post
PR is the least racist place on earth, or at least one of the least. Can you deny that efrenb5? from what youve seen or heard or read about other places and comparing it to the same to PR?
I cannot deny that, which is one of the greates things about PR, everyone is equal.
And you said "caco de carolina" that means "rapper from carolina" and has nothing at all to do with whether the person is black like a black american, and has everything to do with the fact that reggaeton and rap in PR began and became notoriously famous in the municipality of Carolina in the 90s.

And when you say "negro" thats just describing a person, his feture of dark skin, not any racist term use, like saying woman or tall or fat.

It's true that I might be able to say that PR is one of the least racist places on the Earth. I never said otherwise and I'm sorry if I somehow implied otherwise. You will not see racial segregation on PR. When compared to other places, I guess PR will come out as very liberal about the races that live here.

I stand corrected. I used the "rapper from Carolina" phrase on the wrong context. It would be more like a social profiling, I guess. Most rappers are thought of dumb people who are most likely involved in drugs. I see this every day.

Now, about the "white" term. I guess you only use the term to refer to white-Caucasians and nothing more, I'll give you that. However, if you were to describe a "jincho" (very light skinned people, those who will most likely turn red under the sun than getting a tan). Would you call them "beige"? I don't think that's even a skin color. Also, would you describe a "negro" as being beige as well?

On the same note, none of the people elected PR governors fit your "white" concept. Then, how should I put it? "None of the people elected PR governors had been any darker than a light tan"? I don't know man. I think you're just narrowing the "white" term too much. When referring to skin color, "white" must be used for some people, independently of their ethnicity.

Now, that comment about "...in America, racism flourishes, segregation is almost universal in America,...". That's way too prejudiced man. Have you lived enough in America to say such a comment? Although it's true that there are more whites than any other race in America, that isn't enough to say there's such a marked segregation anymore. I'll give you that in some places in America you could find such segregation and PR is way more liberal about race. However, the way you put it, it sounds like if I were to go there I would get burned on a cross surrounded by white hoods.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,098,145 times
I have to strongly disagree with some of the previous posts. When I first moved to PR one of the first things that both struck and surprised me was that the people doing the more menial occupations (janitors, maids, etc. ) are predominantly very dark skinned persons while those having white collar professions (doctors, dentists, etc.) are predominantly light skinned persons. While living in PR I have seen, heard and read (even on CD!) prejudiced remarks against Mexicans, light skinned English speakers and Dominicans. Bigotry may be more subtle in PR but it certainly exists!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 6,102 times
Default puerto ricos crime rates

i need tha recent information of it help me ??

Old 04-26-2010, 10:15 PM

20,645 posts, read 21,434,940 times
Try one of the sites that Google has:

crime statistics puerto rico - Google Search

Old 04-29-2010, 10:51 AM

7,801 posts, read 9,067,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanna View Post
i need tha recent information of it help me ??
1) Go to the Puerto Rico State Police website: Policía de Puerto Rico

2) click "Estadísticas" in the left hand panel

3) Select the type of crime you are looking for. You can view historical crime statistics between 1940 and 2008, by the city, by the police regional command, or island wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories